• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Appreciation Society for the Indian bowling attack apart from Zaheer

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
He was a hero in SA. Was instrumental in getting SA out for 130 with 4-10 that Innings and solo-starred 7-120 in the second Innings of the third test. Absolute champion performance. 15 wickets in 3 games @ 29.6.

oops, read that as 2010. 8-) anyway for 2001.
He did bowl quite spectacularly in that third match. An average of almost 30 for the series is nothing amazing though. He's a consistently average spinner who needs a 5th day dustbowl to actually look dangerous. He doesn't have that sharp loop and drop anymore

Mishy looks a more attacking option at the moment.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
People are forgetting ishant,he is going to be a big threat this summer on the 2 tours mark my words.Back to bowling consistently at 145 and swinging both ways and bouncing it.
Praveen kumar might be handful in england only.otherwise not test class.
Sreesanth is a loose cannon but is a wickettaker who leaks runs.
Also munaf has hit some form.
Lets see how mithun bowls in west indies,he very fast.
So we are not as bad as we are depicted to be.
With zaheer we have a good attack,without him a modest one.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Sharma is definitely the darkhorse for me too.
btw :laugh: at people saying 30 is an ordinary avg for a series. How many bowlers avg 30 these days??? very few!!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Sharma is definitely the darkhorse for me too.
btw :laugh: at people saying 30 is an ordinary avg for a series. How many bowlers avg 30 these days??? very few!!
Just because there aren't many good bowlers around at the moment doesn't make the distinctly above mediocre ones suddenly good

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While I agree that Harbhajan has been mediocre lately and is among the poorer bowlers to have as many wickets to his name as he does, he did bowl very well in SA (average must have taken a big beating in the first Test where he was a lamb to slaughter after the laughable efforts of our pacers). Would have starred in a memorable series win if only one of our bowlers had managed to give him some decent support on day 4 at Cape Town (and had Kallis not played the innings of his life). :cry: Swann got MoTS in SA in 2009-10 with a similar average IIRC.

Harbhajan's problem is how defensively he bowls if he doesn't pick up wickets quickly in his spell. While the popular theory is that he only thrives on subcontinent wickets, I actually think he nowadays prefers wickets abroad, that give him a bit of bounce. Subcontinent wickets only break up late in the match, and nowadays stay low and slow most of the time.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Swann got MoTS in SA in 2009-10 with a similar average IIRC.
Yes, but only because Swann performed with both bat and ball in that series, even top scored in a couple of innings.

We were really outbatted in that series, shouldn't have had to save two games for the draw but collapsed horribly in both of them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh, and I'm assuming the society has >0 members. I didn't actually read the thread - I've already puked once today.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swann batted well too, tbh - that would have played a part.
Yes, but only because Swann performed with both bat and ball in that series, even top scored in a couple of innings.

We were really outbatted in that series, shouldn't have had to save two games for the draw but collapsed horribly in both of them.
Fair point.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
:laugh: How dare a bowler take most of his wickets at home where he plays half of his tests. Seriously am beyond disbelief at seeing some of the posts here by some India haters.
Look, pointing out that Harbhajan isn't very good outside India isn't "hating" India.