• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another "bid for position" draft?

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
In please, just to double check as see Clive Rice was picked despite not playing Tests in 1st draft what's the rule around people who haven't played ODIs - can we pick absolutely anyone, people's whose careers overlapped with ODI cricket even if they didn't play any or just those with ODI caps?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We typically have a minimum number of caps rule in ODIs to avoid Garry Sobers hack

AndrewB

In please, just to double check as see Clive Rice was picked despite not playing Tests in 1st draft what's the rule around people who haven't played ODIs - can we pick absolutely anyone, people's whose careers overlapped with ODI cricket even if they didn't play any or just those with ODI caps?
Let's keep it simple: only people who've played in ODIs are eligible. I can't see any reason to exclude Sobers - if you think he'll get you votes in an ODI XI, go ahead and pick him.

AndrewB

So here's the rules, copied from the earlier thread:

- Everyone taking part has $1,000,000 to bid with
- You then use this to bid (in a silent auction - i.e. bids are e-mailed to me) for your positions in the draft.

Just to illustrate, suppose we have 3 players (X, Y and Z) bidding for a 5-man team

X is desperate to get first pick, and bids (999,996; 1; 1; 1; 1)
Y wants some early picks, and bids (600,000; 300,000; 90,000; 5000; 5000)
Z wants to avoid late picks, and bids (200,000; 200,000; 200,000; 200,000; 200,000)

Then the picking order for the draft would be: X, Y, Y, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Y, Y, Y, X, X, X, X.

Also, in the event of a tie, the person who's gone longest without a pick gets to pick first.

Each player submits their list of 11 bids, which must all be whole, positive numbers of dollars (so $1 is the minimum bid), summing to $1,000,000. (You might as well put your bids in descending order, as I'll sort them that way anyway).