• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Symonds dies in car accident

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
The problem is with cricket admin. reducing cricketers to mere monetised commodities rather than seeing each cricketer as a unique human being (yes I despise neoliberalism).

Cricket actually needs the likes of Symonds, Boon, Botham, Hughes, Flintoff etc in order to remain exciting and relevant to the public.
Happens in tennis as well. Male players expected to be robots.

Very irritating.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Happens in tennis as well. Male players expected to be robots.

Very irritating.
I played against Doug Walters in one of my early first grade games

He had a beer or 2 at lunch, a cigarette on the field during drinks and had a mate calling out race results during play

He also got 152:laugh:

If that happened today, it wouldn’t bother me at all but there would be a bunch of people upset about it /videos of it go viral etc and pressure would be placed on CA & sponsors

CA would put pressure on Doug to change his ways

It’s nonsense but that’s how it works today

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta feel for his great mate Matthew Hayden being stuck on the other side of the world commentating in the IPL. They did a nice tribute piece during the commentary and was sad to see the big man tearing up.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Gotta feel for his great mate Matthew Hayden being stuck on the other side of the world commentating in the IPL. They did a nice tribute piece during the commentary and was sad to see the big man tearing up.
Is there a clip online of this? Would be nice to see.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Still doesn't explain a car rolling off.
Either way, his wasnt normal driving.
Who really cares? You’ve never heard of ice or oil on a road? Or maybe he fell asleep? Or swerved to miss an animal. Or swerved to miss a kid who ran on the road? But in the end, what does it matter? It’s a strange thing to wonder, almost like you’re hoping he was alcohol affected for some reason.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Who really cares? You’ve never heard of ice or oil on a road? Or maybe he fell asleep? Or swerved to miss an animal. Or swerved to miss a kid who ran on the road? But in the end, what does it matter? It’s a strange thing to wonder, almost like you’re hoping he was alcohol affected for some reason.
Very long bow to draw. Let's be rational adults here.

Burgey

It really isn't, the post from jayjay was plainly an attempt to suggest something untoward without any evidence at all. He's just being a turd, like slippy was the other day. The idea people just don't run off the road for a variety of reasons is stupid and the sort of brain dead thought bubble of someone who either doesn't have a licence, or if they do, have certainly never driven on country roads, particularly at night.

On second thoughts, it's more likely jayjay was just being himself - a ****.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Some dumb comments from Jayjay

Anyway, a true character wasn't he Roy. His drinking has been celebrated as a throw back to the 80s, but I thought he did himself a disservice with the lack of discipline he showed with it

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even if he was speeding, he was without passengers on likely a dead quiet country road where you encounter other cars 1000x less often than in a city. Highly likely he was only putting himself in danger rather than others, so I hope there's no witch-hunt

trundler

Man was an LO unicorn. The kind of guy you build your side around. Explosive #5, ATG fielder, decent part timer. The most valuable kind of player there is. You have great top order batters and new ball bowlers a dime a dozen but guys like Symonds really round out a side. Plus, he was fun as ****.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That caught and bowled clip v Sri Lanka is the best. Took it like a champion, signalled that beers were owed.

RIP to a unique man in cricket, for which it is increasingly unusual to come across.