• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time ODI XI

smash84

The Tiger King
the thought of Afridi as an All rounder is lolworthy tbh..........

If you want a good ODI all rounder (as in who will give you good value compared to Afridi) you might go with Klusener, Pollock, or Akram

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Choosing a middle-order for Australia is the most difficult part.

When you have to choose 5 among Greg Chappell, Dean Jones, Ricky Ponting, Michael Bevan, Michael Hussey, Andrew Symonds and Steve Waugh, it gets very tough.

Chappell, Ponting and Jones are among the best top-middle-order ODI batsmen in the world, let alone Australia.... Same story when it comes to lower-middle-order and Bevan and Hussey.

Symonds and Waugh, while slightly below (albeit very good) as ODI batsmen than the other 5, provide value as the 5th bowler (and captaincy in Waugh's case, fielding in Symonds').

Dropping even one of those 7 is difficult, let alone 2. One might be even tempted to have one of these 7 open with Gilchrist (thereby dropping Hayden), but neither of the 7 has considerable experience of opening the innings.

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
INDIA

Sachin Tendulkar
Virender Sehwag
Saurav Ganguly
Gautam Gambhir
Rahul Dravid
Yuvraj Singh
*+MS Dhoni
Kapil Dev
Anil Kumble
Zaheer Khan
Javagal Srinath

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka

Sanath Jayasuriya
Tilakaratne Dilshan
Kumar Sangakarra (+)
Mahela Jayawardene
Aravinda de Silva
Arjuna Ranatunga (*)
Angelo Matthews
Chaminda Vaas
Ajantha Mendis
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharin
I'd replace Mahela with Russell Arnold, who would give hell of a finishing option with Mathews. Although Mendis has far better figures, Upul Chandana would be a valuable spin option with ability to play some useful innings.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan
Saeed Anwar
Aamir Sohail
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Moin Khan+
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akthar

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pre-1971 Hypothetical XI

Trumper
Miller
Bradman
Headley
Hammond
Harvey
Jessop
Davidson
Evans
Verity
Hall

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan
Saeed Anwar
Aamir Sohail
Zaheer Abbas
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Moin Khan+
Imran Khan*
Wasim Akram
Saqlain Mushtaq
Waqar Younis
Shoaib Akthar
This is a bloody good ODI line-up. More than a match for any national AT ODI side I suppose (I might be wrong though)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ranking these all-time sides i'd go:

Australia
West Indies
Pakistan
India
South Africa
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
England

Tough on England but the bowling lets them down. Top two I'd say pull away, then it's a toss up between Pakistan and SA's bowling and India's batting.

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
How about doing 1 for the associates. only existing associates included

Associates All-Time ODI XI

John Davison
*William Porterfield
+Niall OBrien
Steve Tikolo
Maurice Odumbe
Ryan ten Doeschate
Collins Obuya
Thomas Odoyo
Trent Johnston
John Blain
Hamid Hassan

12th man: Kevin OBrien

:mellow:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Australia
West Indies
Pakistan
India
South Africa
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
England

Tough on England but the bowling lets them down. Top two I'd say pull away, then it's a toss up between Pakistan and SA's bowling and India's batting.
Sorry to disappoint you, but All time SL ODI will decimate an all time NZ XI, and would rate ahead India too. That SAF XI won't do well on a slow pitch, but I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt.

My Ranking

Australia, Pakistan, West Indies, South Africa, Sri Lanka, India, New Zealand, England

smash84

The Tiger King

Australia
West Indies
Pakistan
India
South Africa
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
England

Pakistan do edge out the WI for second place in ODIs I believe. The bowling attack is exceptionally strong. The batting is strong but not as strong as some of the other teams I suppose but Zaheer Abbas, Miandad, and Anwar were more than decent bats. Plus look at the bowling line-up (the one that Migara posted). Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, and Saqlain Mushtaq. The three of them in Wisden greatest ODI bowlers ever. Then for back up bowlers you have Shoaib Akhtar and Imran Khan. Beat this bowling attack in and ODI national side.

smash84

The Tiger King
Sorry to disappoint you, but All time SL ODI will decimate an all time NZ XI, and would rate ahead India too. That SAF XI won't do well on a slow pitch, but I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt.

My Ranking

Australia, Pakistan, West Indies, South Africa, Sri Lanka, India, New Zealand, England
Yeah. I do agree with this ranking.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Best Non-World Cup Medallist All Time XI?

B.Lara
H.Gibbs
G.Chappell
K.Pietersen
J.Kallis
K.Sangakkara +
L.Klusener
R.Hadlee
S.Mushtaq
D.Lillee
W.Younis
---------------
S.Pollock

I'm sure the batting could be improved on. Who am I missing?

Fun fact: I just realised that Malcolm Marshall didn't have a World Cup victory to his name.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Why wasn't Waqar in the '92 squad?

Oh and Zaheer Abbas, Sourav Ganguly, Allan Donald, Curtly Ambrose?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
It only signifies that Pepsi made an ad out of Waqar missing out of the world cup and he would be so pumped up this time around that he will retain the world cup for pakistan and fulfill his dream...it was left unfulfilled of course