• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time ODI XI

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It only signifies that Pepsi made an ad out of Waqar missing out of the world cup and he would be so pumped up this time around that he will retain the world cup for pakistan and fulfill his dream...it was left unfulfilled of course
Was he thinking about the ad when he was bowling to Ajay Jadeja in the quarter-finals?

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
New Zealand:

1. N. Astle
2. S. Fleming
3. J. Ryder
4. M. Crowe
5. R. Taylor
6. C. Cairns
7. B. McCullum
8. C. Harris
9. R. Hadlee
10. D. Vettori
11. S. Bond

Hard to see how this team would be 'decimated' by SL, even taking into account that we can't play Murali and that Fleming is Vaas's bunny. The worst batsman in this team averages 16, and I couldn't see the Jayasuriya/Kaluwitharana strategy working against this quality of bowling.

Bond and Hadlee to open the bowling, Cairns first change, Vettori and Harris to strangle the middle order.

I think this is a better team than anything SL, India or even SA could put out, and in a All-time XI World Cup I'd expect us to, true to form, go out in the semifinals.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think this is a better team than anything SL, India or even SA could put out, and in a All-time XI World Cup I'd expect us to, true to form, go out in the semifinals.
Not really. SA will definitely have a stronger line-up. I'll have a go at the SA one.

Gary Kirsten
Hashim Amla
H Gibbs
Ab Devilliers
Jacques Kallis
Hansie Cronje*
Shaun Pollock
Brian McMillan
Mark Boucher
Nicky Boje
Allan Donald

Beat this

Losing to Pakistan again :ph34r:

What about Gavin Larsen. Should be in there I suppose. A great ODI bowler.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Not really. SA will definitely have a stronger line-up. I'll have a go at the SA one.

Gary Kirsten
Hashim Amla
H Gibbs
Ab Devilliers
Jacques Kallis
Hansie Cronje*
Shaun Pollock
Brian McMillan
Mark Boucher
Nicky Boje
Allan Donald

Beat this

Losing to Pakistan again :ph34r:

What about Gavin Larsen. Should be in there I suppose. A great ODI bowler.
That's a pretty strong side, especially in the batting department. Who would be your other opening bowler to go with Donald?

And The Postman was great, although I felt that his batting was too weak to make an all-time XI. And as good as his economy rate was, against the top sides wickets need to be taken. He was probably better than Harris with the ball, but Harris averages 15 more with the bat and would save 10 extra runs with his fielding, so I went with him.

Plus Hadlee has a freakish economy rate of 3.3, as well as taking wickets.

Actually if you have Kallis in at 5 and NZ had Larsen and Hadlee, Kallis would probably score 50 off 120 or so. I maintain that Kallis is one of SA's biggest match losers in ODIs.

smash84

The Tiger King
Pollock to open with Donald of course. The first and last 10 overs would then be pretty hard to score from. The other bowlers are not that great but can do a decent job. Plus you can have bowlers like Fannie DE Villiers in the squad too who can come in sometimes and make it a really good bowling attack.

Cronje, Kallis, McMillan, and Boje to make up 30 overs between them

smash84

The Tiger King
and Kallis would come in at 5 or 6 so that he can stop the wickets from falling if they top order fails. The lower order has great firepower with Boucher, Pollock and Brian McMillan. Cronje himself could hit well

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It would be a great match up anyway.

SAs awesome top order against Hadlee and Bond.
Then their big hitting lower order against the Harris/Vettori strangle.
Then NZ trying to survive against Pollock and Donald...
Before Cairns, McCullum, Crowe, Taylor etc try and ressurrect the innings by hitting out against Kallis, Cronje & co.

smash84

The Tiger King
indeed....would make for compelling viewing.......

But the most awesome ODI bowling attack is Pakistan's

Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Imran, and Saqlain

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Agree with that. Pakistan might not be in the top three for batting but are definitely number one in bowling.

Who would you open with, though? I'd open with Wasim/Waqar, not just because this is a proven combination but because Waqar/Akhtar would be a bit too similar. Wasim/Akhtar would be good but something in me is appalled at the idea of not opening with Waqar.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
indeed....would make for compelling viewing.......

But the most awesome ODI bowling attack is Pakistan's

Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Imran, and Saqlain
Wow..Cant get better than this..both on quality and variety..for some legspin, we can have qadir or mushtaq ahmed in the sidelines to come in..
Not sure about it but think other than Imran, the others actually bowled together in a few matches..

smash84

The Tiger King
Wow..Cant get better than this..both on quality and variety..for some legspin, we can have qadir or mushtaq ahmed in the sidelines to come in..
Not sure about it but think other than Imran, the others actually bowled together in a few matches..
Yes Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, and Saqlain bowled together in a few matches but by the time Shoaib came in Waqar had gone downhill quite a bit and Wasim was also on somewhat of a decline. Yeah Qadir and Mushy can warm the benches for a few matches

smash84

The Tiger King
Agree with that. Pakistan might not be in the top three for batting but are definitely number one in bowling.

Who would you open with, though? I'd open with Wasim/Waqar, not just because this is a proven combination but because Waqar/Akhtar would be a bit too similar. Wasim/Akhtar would be good but something in me is appalled at the idea of not opening with Waqar.
Would be tempted to open with Imran and Wasim/Waqar. Wasim definitely has to bowl in the last 10 overs.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Would be tempted to open with Imran and Wasim/Waqar. Wasim definitely has to bowl in the last 10 overs.
If you have a bowling lineup of Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Shaoib you don't have to worry about there being a last ten overs.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Nathan Astle
Glenn Turner
Martin Crowe
Stephen Fleming
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Brendon McCullum
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Kyle Mills
Shane Bond

Best NZ XI posted.:cool:

smash84

The Tiger King
If you have a bowling lineup of Wasim, Waqar, Imran and Shaoib you don't have to worry about there being a last ten overs.
haha true to some extent but Waqar and Shoaib could be expensive at times.

Nathan Astle
Glenn Turner
Martin Crowe
Stephen Fleming
Roger Twose
Chris Cairns
Brendon McCullum
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Kyle Mills
Shane Bond

Best NZ XI posted.:cool:
everybody belongs there except Kyle Mills probably

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Without going anywhere near the politics of it, many in India and most probably Pakistan have wondered how awesome a cricket team it would have been if there was a joint India-Pakistan team. The Indian batting line up + the Pakistan bowling lineup would have been nearly unbeatable, atleast in ODIs

abmk

State 12th Man
That's a pretty strong side, especially in the batting department. Who would be your other opening bowler to go with Donald?

And The Postman was great, although I felt that his batting was too weak to make an all-time XI. And as good as his economy rate was, against the top sides wickets need to be taken. He was probably better than Harris with the ball, but Harris averages 15 more with the bat and would save 10 extra runs with his fielding, so I went with him.

Plus Hadlee has a freakish economy rate of 3.3, as well as taking wickets.

Actually if you have Kallis in at 5 and NZ had Larsen and Hadlee, Kallis would probably score 50 off 120 or so. I maintain that Kallis is one of SA's biggest match losers in ODIs.
Pollock to open with Donald of course. The first and last 10 overs would then be pretty hard to score from. The other bowlers are not that great but can do a decent job. Plus you can have bowlers like Fannie DE Villiers in the squad too who can come in sometimes and make it a really good bowling attack.

Cronje, Kallis, McMillan, and Boje to make up 30 overs between them
Donald was better as first change. He struggled to control the swing with the white ball when he bowled first up at times.

smash84

The Tiger King
can bring Donald in as first change but I don't think he was too bad with the new ball either and quality bowler at the death

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Why wasn't Waqar in the '92 squad?

Oh and Zaheer Abbas, Sourav Ganguly, Allan Donald, Curtly Ambrose?
Didn't notice the edit until now.

Abbas and Ganguly could replace Gibbs, IMO. Probably Ganguly since he was an opener too. IMO Hadlee, Lillee and Waqar are the best trio possible. Hadlee has to stay on the basis of his batting (I didn't know how good his ODI stats were until now - I fully intend to bring it up whenever certain misguided people claim Pollock as the best ODI player ever :p). Waqar makes way for nobody, because he's Waqar freakin' Younis. Lillee > Donald and Ambrose IMO.