• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I was in fact aware of this, despite my professed lack of interest. As far as I'm aware the main reason for the controversy of the quota system was it's effect in the lower levels of representative cricket rather than International cricket, where the quotas probably barely have any affect at all (at least 3-4 black players tend to make the side deservedly regardless).
Oh I have watched Bavuma and Berhadein play, and even Phelukwayo, they are most certainly not always deserving selections.

Rabada, Amla, Ngidi - sure, maybe they got there sooner than they would have otherwise, Philander still took a whiloe to get in but been great in tests and all outstanding cricketers. But there's been some pretty ordinary quota efforts.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh I have watched Bavuma and Berhadein play, and even Phelukwayo, they are most certainly not always deserving selections.

Rabada, Amla, Ngidi - sure, maybe they got there sooner than they would have otherwise, Philander still took a whiloe to get in but been great in tests and all outstanding cricketers. But there's been some pretty ordinary quota efforts.
Maybe, but even then it's usually maybe 1 player in the team who might not deserve to be there. Go down to the lower grades and aren't the quotas far stricter? Like more than half the team has to be black? I would give up on cricket if I wasn't getting into teams and 4 or 5 lesser players were ahead of me.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Maybe, but even then it's usually maybe 1 player in the team who might not deserve to be there. Go down to the lower grades and aren't the quotas far stricter? Like more than half the team has to be black? I would give up on cricket if I wasn't getting into teams and 4 or 5 lesser players were ahead of me.

Most often it seems to be 2 in recent times, Bavuma or Berhadien up top and Phelukwayo down low.

That's close to 1/5th of the team, and often makes a big difference. I feel the frustration of South African fans.

It wouldn't be easy to be philosophical like
.. De Villiers accepts the reality of captaining South Africa. “I was certainly not blind to the wider issues and I regard the process of transformation in South African cricket not as something imposed on the game but as something that was morally the right thing to do."
when watching Berhadein and even Phelukwayo (he has some talent on show of late) really suck in the pressure moments, again and again and again.

And when Amla retires, the problem gets bigger. All we can hope for is Bavuma actually gets good and deserve a meritorious selection. Rabada, Ngidi and test cricket Philander all seem fine. So does Maharaj and Tahir.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/07/01/crickets-quota-system-has-impacted-south-africa/

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Anyway I wasn't so much talking about quotas, more so the political climate in general, specifically race relations. Again, take what I say with a grain of salt because I know even less about that than I do about quotas, but a lot of White South Africans seem to be pretty fed up with the state of things and are emigrating when possible. There's so much race-related violence, killings, as well as legally taking away farms from people who have been working them, quite successfully, for decades to give them to far less competent and experienced individuals (and in a country where food production is already struggling too). There's some messed up **** going on. Needless to say, sportspeople aren't the only people affected or trying to leave when they can.

Burgey

Do you have any evidence that farms are being taken away from people? Because my understanding is when Potato Dutton raised this issue that he was lying, and it was sourced from some far right website.

TheJediBrah

Do you have any evidence that farms are being taken away from people? Because my understanding is when Potato Dutton raised this issue that he was lying, and it was sourced from some far right website.
You've already exceeded my knowledge on the subject. Maybe the farm thing is bull****, I dunno, but people definitely seem to be emigrating in disproportionate numbers and you'd think there would have to be some basis to why it's happening.

Burgey

It's probably happening for mostly economic reasons, with some crime-related aspects too.

Given its history, South Africa has done a bloody good job so far in not imploding post-Apartheid. It's still early days though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
:(

Incredible cricketer, top 5 ODI batsman of all time and an ATVG Test cricketer too.
I would push him higher on both formats. Just an exceptional talent.

Also a top bloke. Someone you look at and wish the whole world was filled with people like him. In Rahul Dravid class in that sense.

TheJediBrah

It's probably happening for mostly economic reasons, with some crime-related aspects too.

Given its history, South Africa has done a bloody good job so far in not imploding post-Apartheid. It's still early days though.
Doesn't bode well for the future of sport. Though if any country can remain competitive despite this kind of adversity it would be the Saffers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I really wish that everytime something happens in SA cricket/sport the first thing people would not think about and/or blame is the quota system and politics in SA sport. Politics is involved around the world in every sport, it does not necessarily define that sport though. If you want to talk about the quota system/SA politics there is other places on this form to discuss this; Let's just talk about a great players career and everything he has brought to a great period of SA cricket. If you find yourself wanting to mention the politics please do it elsewhere or just don't do it; As SA supporter I'm tired of going to threads regarding SA cricket and players and it always seems to come down to this one thing. I would rather talk about food then.

TheJediBrah

I really wish that everytime something happens in SA cricket/sport the first thing people would not think about and/or blame is the quota system and politics in SA sport. Politics is involved around the world in every sport, it does not necessarily define that sport though. If you want to talk about the quota system/SA politics there is other places on this form to discuss this; Let's just talk about a great players career and everything he has brought to a great period of SA cricket. If you find yourself wanting to mention the politics please do it elsewhere or just don't do it; As SA supporter I'm tired of going to threads regarding SA cricket and players and it always seems to come down to this one thing. I would rather talk about food then.
Sorry man. It's something that is inevitably going to become a topic of discussion from time to time when talking about this kind of thing, but I can see how it would be frustrating to have to deal with. My fault for bringing the topic up in for the first place, will try to avoid it in the future.

Burgey

Yeah the way he played Johnson in that series was something else. Rare to see someone so untroubled by bowling like that across a series. One of those player for whom the bowling all came the same when he was on song.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member