• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was thinking yesterday it's nice to see him in my side pummeling my opponents instead of the other way around.

He definitely can't be bothered with the meaningless stuff but seems to be happy to collect cash from t20 leagues and come back for the big stuff.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would've been great if he'd just said he's taking a break and now wants to come back. Retiring then coming out of retirement randomly throws so many team plans into disarray. It's ****ing ridiculous.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would've been great if he'd just said he's taking a break and now wants to come back. Retiring then coming out of retirement randomly throws so many team plans into disarray. It's ****ing ridiculous.
These were my thoughts at the ODI WC, but SA just had a major overhaul of coaching and middle management, and I think it's been pretty clear since before we even got confirmation of that happening that the new admin had been talking to de Villiers. The team plans are totally new, and have always involved him IMO.

I'm not really that sure how I feel about players deciding not to play white ball internationals for long stretches and then making themselves available for World Cups though. I don't really think T20Is should be a thing outside WCs so I'm okay with it for those, but I think it happening for ODIs as well probably comes hand in hand. I think the middle ground now is kind of "it's okay as long as you don't play for a big three country and you're good enough to obviously demand selection anyway", which I don't love.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Be funny if somehow SA got to the test championship final and he made himself available for that

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just to be clear here, de Villers is still retired. The SA coaches, captain and admin have tried to coax him back (this included the WC debacle!). And he has said he will consider it under certain terms. Which is 100% correct, particularly if you follow anything regards the administrative bull****, CSA failures and the problems within the SA structure, you would know this is a big part of why he retired.

So this is all well within a perfectly understandable attitude when the CSA is the one causing all the issues not de Villers, he is not the one coming with cap in hand. And if you feel he should bend over backwards and take it, for some nationalistic bull****... I`m not allowed to write what I think of that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
AB is always awesome and folks questioning his commitment to the RSA team are just biased idiots with some other agendas really.

Burgey

Just to be clear here, de Villers is still retired. The SA coaches, captain and admin have tried to coax him back (this included the WC debacle!). And he has said he will consider it under certain terms. Which is 100% correct, particularly if you follow anything regards the administrative bull****, CSA failures and the problems within the SA structure, you would know this is a big part of why he retired.

So this is all well within a perfectly understandable attitude when the CSA is the one causing all the issues not de Villers, he is not the one coming with cap in hand. And if you feel he should bend over backwards and take it, for some nationalistic bull****... I`m not allowed to write what I think of that.
Lol “on certain terms.” It’s playing for your ****ing country, not signing a T20 franchise deal. You either do it or don’t. This back and forth bull**** is crap.

Burgey

AB is always awesome and folks questioning his commitment to the RSA team are just biased idiots with some other agendas really.
I’m sorry, but the fact you have given Chris Gayle a free pass here means YOU ARE A MASSIVE, BIASED HYPOCRITE!!

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Lol “on certain terms.” It’s playing for your ****ing country, not signing a T20 franchise deal. You either do it or don’t. This back and forth bull**** is crap.
And he is not playing for his country, he has retired and stayed retired... other people are begging him to play. He is willing to consider it but on conditions he considers acceptable, and if you look at how CSA has handled cricket in SA you can see why.

And because it is a national sports team he gets berated because of some nationalistic bull**** pride when for any other job, if he had told his boss that was treating him poorly to **** off, he would be applauded. Particularly, when he could go out, do better with less stress.

Burgey

Cry me a ****ing river. The game and cricket SA have made him a multi.

So if you disagree with Cricket SA, you just waltz away? Let him stay out of it then. If that’s what he wants to do, fine. But this is just a ****ing circus.

He’s traducing his own legacy. The Greg Chappell of the 21st century, just picking and choosing when to have a dig. It’s pitiful that someone can be that needy they need to be begged to play.

Ffs if he doesn’t want to play, fine. Just nip it in the bud. If he wants to, don’t ****ing play the prodigal hero when you’ve walked away for a few years on two occasions to cash up playing Nuffie leagues. The bloke is a genius player but this is a terrible look for him imho.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
You seem to be saying he is the one making a big deal out of it... he is not. Other people approached him, they want him, he has not gone on about it. And the media have made a big deal about it (they are the ones talking prodigal sons etc.). All that has happened is there has been leaks (not from his side) that the new management (and coaching) at CSA approached him and asked him to come back. He is willing to consider it provided he does not walk into the **** storm and stress that CSA was providing.

This exact same discussion could be had surrounding Graeme Smith, who up until a few months ago refused to become the director of cricket in SA, because he was not happy with the general management and problems going on and so would not sign. Many of our best retired players who we have all been begging to come and help coach and participate, were not involved with SA cricket until recently. And this all only happened because 1/3rd of the board resigned and the president was put on suspension, we are talking extreme maladministration and corruption here. Smith has been signed on a 3 month contract on the excuse he had IPL commitments, but we all know that he is only willing to sign a 3 month contract until he is certain that things have actually changed for the better. But we berate de Villers because he wants the same guarantees, he has nothing left to prove to anybody he gets to dictate his own happiness.

He is being tarnished with a brush not of his own making, without anybody considering the larger picture of what is going on. The automatic assumption is it is about greed and ego from him, when it quite clearly is not. He does not need CSA in anyway to get more money or more fame.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I’m sorry, but the fact you have given Chris Gayle a free pass here means YOU ARE A MASSIVE, BIASED HYPOCRITE!!

I was referring to the cricketing media and the columnists there, but hey, if the shoe fits. :p

And its still massively sad and funny at the same time that you are hanging on to this. :laugh:

Burgey

You failed to individually list them and set out your grievances one by one. I’m afraid that just shows how biased you really are.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You seem to be saying he is the one making a big deal out of it... he is not. Other people approached him, they want him, he has not gone on about it. And the media have made a big deal about it (they are the ones talking prodigal sons etc.). All that has happened is there has been leaks (not from his side) that the new management (and coaching) at CSA approached him and asked him to come back. He is willing to consider it provided he does not walk into the **** storm and stress that CSA was providing.

This exact same discussion could be had surrounding Graeme Smith, who up until a few months ago refused to become the director of cricket in SA, because he was not happy with the general management and problems going on and so would not sign. Many of our best retired players who we have all been begging to come and help coach and participate, were not involved with SA cricket until recently. And this all only happened because 1/3rd of the board resigned and the president was put on suspension, we are talking extreme maladministration and corruption here. Smith has been signed on a 3 month contract on the excuse he had IPL commitments, but we all know that he is only willing to sign a 3 month contract until he is certain that things have actually changed for the better. But we berate de Villers because he wants the same guarantees, he has nothing left to prove to anybody he gets to dictate his own happiness.

He is being tarnished with a brush not of his own making, without anybody considering the larger picture of what is going on. The automatic assumption is it is about greed and ego from him, when it quite clearly is not. He does not need CSA in anyway to get more money or more fame.
Taking a high profile management position and deciding to play a few games of cricket are different things

What ‘terms’ could be so aggravating?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Im in the other camp. There is no duty to play for your country, particularly since money took over the game. The only way DeVilliers hurts his reputation is to come back and fail. If someone is good enough to only play the big tournaments, then, as much as id love to see them always playing, good for them.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One thing that some of us Big 3 fans have to realize is that the way cricket is run by the other boards and the amount of money that is around the game in those places can make it very very difficult for these guys to just play for their country and leave it at that. Of course, I am not surprised by the few who wanna take the whole holier-than-thou out of the sheer salt over how good AB is or the fact that he will forever be the AB that cricket remembers, but it is important to realize that players from the other boards do not have the same choices that the Pig 3 folks have and therefore, there are going to be different factors that goes into their decisions that we may never properly understand.