• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Imo his hundred in his last series v Australia was his best ever. Insane knock in the circumstances.
I think it was second ball he faced, he played one of his super disdainful shots and instantly I knew we wouldn't we getting this **** out.

What a shame AB de Villiers isn't tired of millions of rupees too.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
I think it was second ball he faced, he played one of his super disdainful shots and instantly I knew we wouldn't we getting this **** out.

What a shame AB de Villiers isn't tired of millions of rupees too.
Please, it is lakh or crore when talking of rupees.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Well SA just went from being a WC favourite, to battlers for a semifinal place now.

Morkel is a huge blow, even if Ngidi has been discovered. And there's no guarantee on Steyn being fit for the cup, but Morkel has been SA's best and most reliable in white ball for years now.

But even without Morkel, I thought that SA were certain top 4 finishers in the WC. But now without ABdV - I am not so sure.

Miller is unreliable, Berhadein is useless, which leaves so much on Amla, de Kock and Faf. Faf often eats up a lot of balls to get going. And Markram is an unfinished product lacking experience.

I don't think SA are almost certain semifinalists now. All the times ABdV has been the difference between SA and the opposition, which is a lot, is gone from their team now. I see them losing more often.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well SA just went from being a WC favourite, to battlers for a semifinal place now.

Morkel is a huge blow, even if Ngidi has been discovered. And there's no guarantee on Steyn being fit for the cup, but Morkel has been SA's best and most reliable in white ball for years now.

But even without Morkel, I thought that SA were certain top 4 finishers in the WC. But now without ABdV - I am not so sure.

Miller is unreliable, Berhadein is useless, which leaves so much on Amla, de Kock and Faf. Faf often eats up a lot of balls to get going. And Markram is an unfinished product lacking experience.

I don't think SA are almost certain semifinalists now. All the times ABdV has been the difference between SA and the opposition, which is a lot, is gone from their team now. I see them losing more often.
SA not making the Semi-finals would be almost unheard of. Almost as unheard of as them winning one.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

I hope you're not a betting man

Victor Ian

International Coach
The Indian sense of humour on display once again, ladies and gentlemen.

The subject of nicknames and the etiquette surrounding them has been laid to rest once and for all following my definitive thread on the subject which was posted on 30 September 2016. Given you joined the forum years before the thread, I am disappointed you didn't read the thread and take note of its lessons before making your post.
That was a great thread - required reading. It is a pity that as succinct as it was, too many did not understand and continued their ignorance. CW should use it as a basis for posting permission in the future.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Everyone will have their own take on it. For me ABDV has enhanced his reputation as I love players that play to a great level yet still have perspective enough to know other things matter more than the game, such as family. He is one of the few who bows out on top instead of chasing far off records in the twilight of a career with diminishing returns.

Kirkut

International Regular
Everyone will have their own take on it. For me ABDV has enhanced his reputation as I love players that play to a great level yet still have perspective enough to know other things matter more than the game, such as family. He is one of the few who bows out on top instead of chasing far off records in the twilight of a career with diminishing returns.
I suspect it could be the quota culture in SA dressing room which he's not happy with. He's left the team exactly a year before the World Cup, which is confusing.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I suspect it could be the quota culture in SA dressing room which he's not happy with.
Except there's no evidence to suggest this, and I'll quote what was said earlier in this thread.

I really wish that everytime something happens in SA cricket/sport the first thing people would not think about and/or blame is the quota system and politics in SA sport. Politics is involved around the world in every sport, it does not necessarily define that sport though. If you want to talk about the quota system/SA politics there is other places on this form to discuss this; Let's just talk about a great players career and everything he has brought to a great period of SA cricket. If you find yourself wanting to mention the politics please do it elsewhere or just don't do it; As SA supporter I'm tired of going to threads regarding SA cricket and players and it always seems to come down to this one thing. I would rather talk about food then.

trundler

What I meant to ask was, how accurate it is? Mark Nicholas places him next to Sachin and Lara.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm after the WC fiasco (Him letting them know availability 24hours before) I'm skeptical. Also, alot can change in 9 months

Burgey

Fmd this **** has had more comebacks than Nellie Melba. Even giving John Farnham a run for his money. Ffs mate, we get it. Everyone wants to be loved. Make up your ****ing mind.