• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers retires from international cricket

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're very naïve

Of course he's not going to come out and say "I don't want to play for or live in South Africa anymore because the place sucks and my people are discriminated against"
TJB. The go-to guy for all things cricket and the White Man’s Burden.

TheJediBrah

Bit oversimplified, when in a relationship, or having a family, there is give and take, while many sportsmen nevertheless put their careers and career goals first, not all do when it finally comes to retirement and availability.
Remember you're talking to ***** here. Might want to use an analogy for relationships that he might understand, eg. A cricket umpire and his favourite white jacket, or a guy living in his parents' basement and his reliance on high speed wi-fi and privacy

Mr Miyagi

Banned
You're very naïve

Of course he's not going to come out and say "I don't want to play for or live in South Africa anymore because the place sucks and my people are discriminated against"

You've convinced me. It has nothing to do with endless months in a row in hotels, money and a young family. He is finally taking a stand against quotas. :wacko:

Wouldn't send more of a political message if he announced that is why he is retiring? Or this is naive to think that?

And your point will be proven when he leaves Africa, oh wait - he's playing for the Titans next year.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

You've convinced me. It has nothing to do with money and and a young family. He is finally taking a stand against quotas. :wacko:

And your point will be proven when he leaves Africa, oh wait - he's playing for the Titans next year.
Don't do this again, I know you're smarter than that. Read what I said.

I didn't say it was only political. I didn't even say it had anything to do with quotas.

I said I'd be surprised if it didn't have a large political motivation. Clearly financial stability is a huge factor.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Bad for world cricket. Absolutely. Good for franchise cricket? Maybe.

Best for AB de Villiers? You'd have to assume so.

I'm not going to pretend I know his reasons but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't largely political motivation behind it. Good on him for staying as long as he did. If I was a white person playing for South Africa I would have ****ed off long ago, but then I'm a **** and ABdV seems like a pretty nice guy.
Political? It is family and franchise money. He doesn't have to go on tour with the national team endlessly anymore (overseas or at home going through the various cities and states), when he can spend every second game with them at home with him in franchise cricket (wherever played),

His CSA contract is peanuts to his IPL earnings. Why upset his wife and kid so much by never being there when the money isn't making much of a difference? Unlike many great cricketers, he didn't care about records. He made that clear when he first stood down from tests.

He wants money and more time with his family. The IPL gives him money, the hundred will probably give him money.
You're very naïve

You've convinced me. It has nothing to do with endless months in a row in hotels, money and a young family. He is finally taking a stand against quotas. :wacko:

Wouldn't send more of a political message if he announced that is why he is retiring? Or this is naive to think that?

I didn't say it was only political. I didn't even say it had anything to do with quotas.

I said I'd be surprised if it didn't have a large political motivation. Clearly financial stability is a huge factor.
You're going round in circles again, and ftr - quotas are the very tools of actual and real not just arguable discrimination that supports your very point that discrimination exists.

You say politics. I say I doubt it, and that its money and family.

You offer no support for it being politics besides that discrimination exists. But nothing ABDV has done supports this.

Whereas his actions for money and family are supported.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

You're going round in circles again, and ftr - quotas are the very tools of actual and real not arguable discrimination that supports your point that discrimination exists.
No I'm not. I made a simple, easily understood post that you still managed to misunderstand

As far as quotas go, they are a literal example of actual racial discrimination, designed to make up for a perceived history of discrimination. Whether they are "right" or not, I have no interest in getting into because I don't know (or care) enough about the topic anyway, but I know enough that there is no "correct" answer.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
No I'm not. I made a simple, easily understood post that you still managed to misunderstand

As far as quotas go, they are a literal example of actual racial discrimination, designed to make up for a perceived history of discrimination. Whether they are "right" or not, I have no interest in getting into because I don't know (or care) enough about the topic anyway, but I know enough that there is no "correct" answer.

And you are now on a red herring.

Show me the poltics of "I don't want to play for or live in South Africa anymore because the place sucks and my people are discriminated against" in ABDV retiring when he will play in Safrica for the Titans next year!

Last edited:

Burgey

I don't know that you can in good conscience call apartheid "perceived" racism.

TheJediBrah

And you are now on a red herring.

Show me the poltics of "I don't want to play for or live in South Africa anymore because the place sucks and my people are discriminated against" in ABDV retiring when he will play in Safrica for the Titans next year!
OMG it was an obviously exaggerated, facetious speculative fake quote.

And in a hypothetical situation where someone is disenfranchised with his country (not saying this is it), then playing international cricket representing South Africa is not the same as spending a month there to play a T20 tournament. You could even say it would support his (hypothetical) lack of faith in his country that he's still willing to play T20 cricket there but not represent his country. It doesn't support your point, whatever it is, I still can't figure it out.

If your point is that you think he is above petty politics and his decision was purely financial or whatever you think it is, then that's great. Your opinion is noted and I respect it. Just stop trying to invent stupid arguments.

I don't know that you can in good conscience call apartheid "perceived" racism.
context mate. In the context of modern day sporting selections. No one's saying that apartheid might not have been racist.

Burgey

Hasn't he played most, if not all of his career under the quota system? I can't remember when they brought it in.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
OMG it was an obviously exaggerated, facetious speculative fake quote.

And in a hypothetical situation where someone is disenfranchised with his country (not saying this is it), then playing international cricket representing South Africa is not the same as spending a month there to play a T20 tournament. You could even say it would support his (hypothetical) lack of faith in his country that he's still willing to play T20 cricket there but not represent his country. It doesn't support your point, whatever it is, I still can't figure it out.

If your point is that you think he is above petty politics and his decision was purely financial or whatever you think it is, then that's great. Your opinion is noted and I respect it. Just stop trying to invent stupid arguments.

context mate. In the context of modern day sporting selections. No one's saying that apartheid might not have been racist.
:laugh:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Hasn't he played most, if not all of his career under the quota system? I can't remember when they brought it in.

Yonks ago. But he is finally taking a stand against quotas now. Just silently. It is a passive aggressive political protest.

As against his autobiography where he explicitly stated:

It depressed me to think of my team-mates in these outdated racial terms," De Villiers writes in the book. "Would anyone really mind if there were three or four players of colour in our side?"
ABdV has not been shy in the past saying he is not fond of quotas. Why not speak up now if that is why he is retiring?

https://scroll.in/field/815435/sout...me-writes-ab-de-villiers-in-his-autobiography

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yonks ago. But he is finally taking a stand against quotas now. Just silently. It is a passive aggressive political protest.
. . .

I don't know what your problem is. At times you seem like a sensible person, then you just go off and completely lose all abilities of reading comprehension and common sense.

There's no fight to be had here. Why do you keep trying to invent one?

Mr Miyagi

Banned
. . .

I don't know what your problem is. At times you seem like a sensible person, then you just go off and completely lose all abilities of reading comprehension and common sense.

There's no fight to be had here
. Why do you keep trying to invent one?

:laugh:

TheJediBrah

And for the record in case any is interested, (I suspect JediBrah won't be) under the current racial discrimination in cricket, the quotas are more restrictive in provincial and domestic cricket than for the international team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/07/01/crickets-quota-system-has-impacted-south-africa/
I was in fact aware of this, despite my professed lack of interest. As far as I'm aware the main reason for the controversy of the quota system was it's effect in the lower levels of representative cricket rather than International cricket, where the quotas probably barely have any affect at all (at least 3-4 black players tend to make the side deservedly regardless).

Burgey

Can't we all just accept his reasons are the stated one? That's he's retired from cricket to focus on his new Middle East peace deal.