• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

shivfan

Banned
None of this makeshift opener rubbish please, Barath has earned an opportunity with better domestic performances than any of the other openers. Nash stays at 6 where he has been an excellent stabling influence so far. To me our best team is pretty simple:

Gayle (c)
Barath
Sarwan
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Nash
Ramdin (vc, wk)
Taylor
Miller
Roach
Edwards
Don't you think six is a bit too low for Nash? If not as opener, I think he should bat at four instead of Bravo, who's batting in recent times has been disappointing, and he probably shouldn't bat higher than six.

Personally, I would prefer Miller to Benn too, but I can't help feeling the selectors will go with the latter....

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The logic behind having Bravo at 4 is that he bats much better when he is given more responsibility. His record up the order in all formats is actually very good. He has opened the batting in test cricket and made 70odd against Vaas and Murali.

Nash is required at 6 IMHO to bat sensibly with Shiv and reduce those ridiculous collapses we tend to have. Bravo plays in a carefree manor when at 6 and it doesn't suit the team.

I agree they will probably select Benn because they are completely clueless when it comes to identifying talented spin bowlers.

Woodster

International Captain
None of this makeshift opener rubbish please, Barath has earned an opportunity with better domestic performances than any of the other openers. Nash stays at 6 where he has been an excellent stabling influence so far. To me our best team is pretty simple:

Gayle (c)
Barath
Sarwan
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Nash
Ramdin (vc, wk)
Taylor
Miller
Roach
Edwards

I don't doubt Barath's potential, from what I have heard/read about him, however, my concern for him, and WI, would be whether this would be the most suitable start for him, a tour to Australia. Take him in the squad by all means and give him a taste of what it's like, but I would be uncertain about him starting the first Test there.

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
I don't doubt Barath's potential, from what I have heard/read about him, however, my concern for him, and WI, would be whether this would be the most suitable start for him, a tour to Australia. Take him in the squad by all means and give him a taste of what it's like, but I would be uncertain about him starting the first Test there.
Ideally, the best series to get your debut Test under your belt would be in a home series against Bangladesh, but we all know what happened there....
8-)

Beamer

That's what I used to think, but this line of reasoning has lead to us trying Chattergoon and Smith in an endless cycle of failure. I have had enough, it's time for the next candidate to get a run of 5 test matches, regardless of how young he is.

Who's better than Roach?
My point precisely. Andrew Richardson hasn't been given a central contract. It is pretty easy to choose between Roach, Tonge and Baker IMHO.

Woodster

International Captain
That's what I used to think, but this line of reasoning has lead to us trying Chattergoon and Smith in an endless cycle of failure. I have had enough, it's time for the next candidate to get a run of 5 test matches, regardless of how young he is.
Just think the likes of Siddle, Lee et al , would feast on seeing a young batsman making his debut having no prior experience of cricket at this level, and probably very little cricket on Australia-style pitches. On the one hand, should he get through and impress on the tour, he would have bought himself plenty of time (you would think) to consolidate his position, however, the more likelier outcome is that he would have a very tough time which in turn would prompt questions about whether he was indeed ready.

If he is indeed such a talent, then a little more patience may well prove worthwhile.

So the options - I do think Nash could make a Katich-like transformation to the top of the innings. He has more experience of playing on Australian pitches than any other West Indian, and may be the best equipped to repel the inevitable barrage that will greet the openers with Siddle, Hilfy, Johnson or possible Lee in the shake-up to take the new ball. I am generally not one for manufacturing openers (Australia will have two, Watson I am yet to be convinced about), but the attributes Nash will bring may be crucial in giving the WI a solid start that is essential. Even if he is used in this role temporarily, maybe even just for this series, just to give Barath more time to develop and allow him to come into a less testing debut series.

Are there any other decent options for opening the innings ?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just think the likes of Siddle, Lee et al , would feast on seeing a young batsman making his debut having no prior experience of cricket at this level, and probably very little cricket on Australia-style pitches. On the one hand, should he get through and impress on the tour, he would have bought himself plenty of time (you would think) to consolidate his position, however, the more likelier outcome is that he would have a very tough time which in turn would prompt questions about whether he was indeed ready.

If he is indeed such a talent, then a little more patience may well prove worthwhile.

So the options - I do think Nash could make a Katich-like transformation to the top of the innings. He has more experience of playing on Australian pitches than any other West Indian, and may be the best equipped to repel the inevitable barrage that will greet the openers with Siddle, Hilfy, Johnson or possible Lee in the shake-up to take the new ball. I am generally not one for manufacturing openers (Australia will have two, Watson I am yet to be convinced about), but the attributes Nash will bring may be crucial in giving the WI a solid start that is essential. Even if he is used in this role temporarily, maybe even just for this series, just to give Barath more time to develop and allow him to come into a less testing debut series.
A good idea well said. Nash opening could be a very handy move.

Beamer

A good idea well said. Nash opening could be a very handy move.
I just can't see it happening tbh. The only weakness Nash has shown so far in international cricket is a difficulty with the short ball. He has improved with every test and had a solid start but I am extremely happy with him at number 6.

As for other options, if they go down the temporary opener route they could play Dwayne Bravo who opened in youth cricket and has opened successfully at test level against Sri Lanka.

Dale Richards is extremely good against pace so they could try him, but he will just be a walking wicket for Hauritz whenever he comes on to bowl (so he is similar to Smith).

Maybe the best option is to pick 3 opening batsman for the tour (Gayle, Barath, and Another) and see who does best in the warm ups. I believe in Barath and think he will deliver even in Australia, so if he performs well in the lead up there should be nothing stopping him from playing.

Beamer

Never scored a FC century, tbh.

Yep. Ridiculously talented and good for a nice 10/20, but certainly not an international cricketer. His story is pretty tragic as he could have been so good.

Simmons is a good shout for a back up opening position, but I am slightly worried about his tendency to play across the pad too much.

Howsie

International Captain
If you didn't want to expose Barath to the Australian team this early in his test career, you could maybe just stick with Devon Smith?

He's a pretty average batsmen, but against England he looked good against pace and would just get out as soon as a spinner was brought on, I could easily see him average 30+ in Australia which would be decent enough at the moment.

Would much rather see Barath play myself though.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
If you didn't want to expose Barath to the Australian team this early in his test career, you could maybe just stick with Devon Smith?

He's a pretty average batsmen, but against England he looked good against pace and would just get out as soon as a spinner was brought on, I could easily see him average 30+ in Australia which would be decent enough at the moment.

Would much rather see Barath play myself though.
Dear christ no. He got another chance against Bangladesh and wasn't dominant or brilliant. He should be done away with.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The logic behind having Bravo at 4 is that he bats much better when he is given more responsibility. His record up the order in all formats is actually very good. He has opened the batting in test cricket and made 70odd against Vaas and Murali.

Nash is required at 6 IMHO to bat sensibly with Shiv and reduce those ridiculous collapses we tend to have. Bravo plays in a carefree manor when at 6 and it doesn't suit the team.

I agree they will probably select Benn because they are completely clueless when it comes to identifying talented spin bowlers.
Ye 100% agree with the logic behind Bravo batting @ 4 & Nash staying @ 6. Bravo really should step up after all batting was his strenght in youth cricekt. He really should be scoring runs for WI like what Watson is doing for AUS.