• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Resurgence Of The West Indies?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Ideally Rampaul, Richardson and Tonge as they've showed long term quality in FC
Nah rose, Roach should definatley make the best WI XI as 3rd seamer to Taylor/Edwards. Rampaul is his biggest challenge instead of the other two surely.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Based on what?
Based on what i've seen of them. West Indies FC system aint exactly great so consistent performances this decade has never meant international success. Unfortunately every WI player since Gayle/Sarwan this era has been picked on natural talent rather than any solid FC performances.

Roach has clearly showed enough natural ability in international cricket to play in the first XI now that the big cats are back.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Explain why the others have done better than him in FC then? That's because they're better.

shivfan

Banned
Yeah, Richardson has taken 33 wickets for Jamaica this season in the four-day competition at an average of just 23, while Roach took 23 wickets for Barbados at an average of 38....

However, in his appearances for the West Indies against Bangladesh, he showed good pace, while Tonge also looked good. Tonge took 44 wickets for the Leewards at an average of 25.

That said, this was largely on the dead wickets of the Caribbean. Australia will have bouncy pitches that will offer assistance to bowlers who have some pace. How fast is Richardson? Can he bowl as fast as Roach? Medium pacers like Sammy and Bernard are going to be useful in ODIs, but won't take wickets in Tests against Australia....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That said, this was largely on the dead wickets of the Caribbean. Australia will have bouncy pitches that will offer assistance to bowlers who have some pace. How fast is Richardson? Can he bowl as fast as Roach? Medium pacers like Sammy and Bernard are going to be useful in ODIs, but won't take wickets in Tests against Australia....
Would be a mistake to assume this because it's well documented that OZ decks have been roads for some years now. SA chased 400 to win on day 5 at the WACA last season, for example.

roseboy64

Yeah, Richardson has taken 33 wickets for Jamaica this season in the four-day competition at an average of just 23, while Roach took 23 wickets for Barbados at an average of 38....

However, in his appearances for the West Indies against Bangladesh, he showed good pace, while Tonge also looked good. Tonge took 44 wickets for the Leewards at an average of 25.

One swallow does not a summer make, I'm not saying he can't make it as a quality bowler but feel others have done more and should get the nod.

Uppercut

Would be a mistake to assume this because it's well documented that OZ decks have been roads for some years now. SA chased 400 to win on day 5 at the WACA last season, for example.
They're flat in the sense that there's not much seam or variable bounce, but the ball generally comes through a lot quicker.

shivfan

Banned
Personally, I'm not convinced that Richardson is a better bowler than Roach....

Richardson is about 28, and is unlikely to improve much more. Roach, on the other hand, is 21, isn't he? And the performances he put in against Bangladesh showed he'd imporved significantly from when he played for Barbados at the start of the year.

The pacers I would take to Australia would be Taylor, Edwards, Rampaul, Roach and Tonge. Bowlers like Richardson would be cannon fodder to the Aussie batsmen, IMHO....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Richardson is about 28, and is unlikely to improve much more. Roach, on the other hand, is 21, isn't he? And the performances he put in against Bangladesh showed he'd imporved significantly from when he played for Barbados at the start of the year.

The pacers I would take to Australia would be Taylor, Edwards, Rampaul, Roach and Tonge. Bowlers like Richardson would be cannon fodder to the Aussie batsmen, IMHO....
Right on point.

Uppercut

Yes. It's a logical position.
I'm not saying it's not, but when I saw them bowl together in the ODIs, Tonge looked more than a class below Roach. Rampaul's a bit more solid, but in test cricket, I'd rather have a bowler like Roach.

Richardson I've never seen.

roseboy64

Richardson, Rampaul and Tonge are still comfortably better than Roach. Well the first two more so. At this stage, they'd do better than Roach. In a year or two though he'll be right up there. He was pretty much mediocre in the Champions Trophy and the only real threat he posed to Bangladesh was pace.

roseboy64

I'm not saying it's not, but when I saw them bowl together in the ODIs, Tonge looked more than a class below Roach. Rampaul's a bit more solid, but in test cricket, I'd rather have a bowler like Roach.

Richardson I've never seen.
What qualities of his would make him a suitable Test bowler?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
How does this look for a WI T20 XI & sqaud for the WC next year:

Gayle
Chanderpaul
Samuels
Bravo
Sarwan
Pollard
Dwayne Smith
Ramdin
Taylor
Benn
Edwards

back-ups: Simmons, Fletcher, S Ganga/Miller, Rampaul.

Team looks good enough to win the whole thing next year i'd say. T20s suits the Windies so much..

Uppercut

What qualities of his would make him a suitable Test bowler?
The ability to bowl wicket-taking deliveries. It's not like you have to take my word for it, he's done the job against Bangladesh, which is a start. Rampaul looks quite ineffective to me at times.

Top_Cat

They're flat in the sense that there's not much seam or variable bounce, but the ball generally comes through a lot quicker.
This would make them, if anything, even better for batting.

As it stands, reckon at least half of OZ pitches would be just as slow as any overseas.