• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Batsman's 'Prime'

smash84

The Tiger King
Kallis, and Sobers the only ones making the lists who could bowl a fair bit

PEWS what would be Miller, Kapil, hadlee, and Botham's 50 innings peak as a batsman (if it isn't too much of a problem)?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I really want is to find a valid batting statistic over a statistically meaningful number of tests that places Bradman not at the top. I found it hilarious that Bradman's standardised average was even further apart across the 80 test sample than his regular average. This suggests an even wider gap between him and others than regular stats suggest. Phenomenal.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Fun fact - during Kallis' 50-innings peak of 2001-2004 where he averaged 81, he only scored the 6th most runs in the world. One of the people who outscored him during this period was Vaughan, who only averaged 49 to do so.
Yup.

Viv with the second most runs within 40 and 50 innings, by the looks of things? Sanga the most over 80.

After Bradman, of course.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fun fact - during Kallis' 50-innings peak of 2001-2004 where he averaged 81, he only scored the 6th most runs in the world. One of the people who outscored him during this period was Vaughan, who only averaged 49 to do so.
now let's take a look at their bowling figures :cool:

hey PEWS can you do a standardised thingy of Sanga when he doesn't keep? obviously we know he averages 70 or whatever but you know, how much does he really average when he doesn't keep

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Kallis, and Sobers the only ones making the lists who could bowl a fair bit

PEWS what would be Miller, Kapil, hadlee, and Botham's 50 innings peak as a batsman (if it isn't too much of a problem)?
- Real runs

Code:
			Start Peak	End Peak	Runs	Average

IT Botham (Eng)		16 Jul 1981	14 Jun 1984	2208	45.06
KR Miller (Aus)		29 Nov 1946	24 Dec 1952	1800	40.91
Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ)	11 Mar 1983	12 Feb 1988	1487	36.27
N Kapil Dev (Ind)	24 Nov 1983	7 Apr 1989	1643	35.72
- Standardised runs

Code:
			Start Peak	End Peak	St Runs	St Average

IT Botham (Eng)		13 Aug 1981	12 Jul 1984	2239.6	44.79
KR Miller (Aus)		22 Dec 1950	12 Jul 1956	1985.6	41.37
N Kapil Dev (Ind)	12 Jan 1979	8 Jul 1982	1544.0	35.09
Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ)	11 Mar 1983	12 Feb 1988	1419.4	34.62

Jager

International Debutant
Nice to see my all-time favourite player getting a little bit of a bump. Miller bats at 5 in my ATG side, so having his excellence reinforced sits well with me :happy:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
now let's take a look at their bowling figures :cool:

hey PEWS can you do a standardised thingy of Sanga when he doesn't keep? obviously we know he averages 70 or whatever but you know, how much does he really average when he doesn't keep
that's it PEWS drop the gloves.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And Botham better than Imran FTR.

Unsure why Hadlee is recognised as a knight of the realm by PEWS but Beefy isn't.
Not big on peaks myself.
Yep, and has stressed this before countless times.

Knowing Prince's ideology of judging cricketers (and its impossible not to know his if you post in Cricket Chat at all, since its in your face all the time, wac) Botham is one of the cricketers I'd imagine he would not rate too highly at all.