• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

7th Match - Afghanistan v Sri Lanka

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Zimbabwe of 80's never had the best ODI bowler in their ranks, nor the best spin attack or the #2 All rounder in ODIs, nor a couple of bowlers who could click 90mph at will.

SL is bad, downright pathetic, and this win was due to very poor cricket by Afghans. Unless the "Born Again" clan is kicked out of the administration, they will keep selecting the same pathetic set of failures like Kusal Mendis and Anjelo Mathews. DdS is also bad with the bat, but had been the best spinner for SL.
Peter Rawson had plenty of pace from what I have heard. Eddo Brandes could crank it up on his day too

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Peter Rawson had plenty of pace from what I have heard. Eddo Brandes could crank it up on his day too
Don't think they were as quick as Hamid Hasan oh his heyday. After plethora of injuries the guy cranks up 144k still. The quickest I could recall Zimbabwe having was Olonga. Hassan is comfortably quicker than him. Dawlath Zardran and Zappor Zardan are also gifted with pace and bounce. Issue is Afghans never had these players clicking at the same time.

On the other hand Sri Lanka had a decade of Vaas and Muralitharan, then Malinga added to the mix. We had very steady Sanath Jayasuriya, with similar or slihtly superior capabilities to Mohammed Nabi with the ball. In addition we had flashes in pan from Ajantha Mendis and Dilhara Fernando and few others. It was SL bowling that propelled us to the top of the table. We never had batsmen other than for Sanath, Aravinda and Arjuna.

Flem274*

123/5
mathews needs a kick in the arse. a few years ago he was a 50+ test batsman scoring runs all over. he bats #4, no hiding, and he bowls 10 overs and goes for a ****ing run.

he's good enough to join the sanga/mahela/aravinda/samaraweera group. get in there you lazy ****. ****s me off seeing domestic cricketers like lakmal and co. work hard to contribute and this **** has just fallen away.

drop thirimanne too. i cannot believe this guy has an international career still. he's hopeless.

mathews, karunaratne, kusal perera, chandimal, kusal mendis, dickwella. these are your bois ffs.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thirimanne's continued selection is just so baffling. He's like Shaun Marsh but much worse, had myriad chances and delivers so incredibly rarely it could just be by accident.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thirimanne's continued selection is just so baffling. He's like Shaun Marsh but much worse, had myriad chances and delivers so incredibly rarely it could just be by accident.
On the contrary, he delivers less often than random chance would dictate imo

Howe_zat

Audio File
Shame for the Afghans, I kinda doubt they'll get a better chance to score a win than this. They kinda remind me of an 80's Zimbabwe, a couple of genuinely international class players, some solid journeyman, and a few amateurs who wouldn't look out of place in club cricket.
They have a bunch of good players, but a total lack of cake.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
They have a bunch of good players, but a total lack of cake.
Yeah their attempt at cake is more or less just two good FC and potentially decent Test players who probably shouldn't play ODIs (I love Rahmat with all my heart, but still), with two icing openers and icing finishers starting at five. I'd be tempted to rejig the order a bit given Naib has shown he's less icing-ish when he bats in the top three, but their actual cake batsmen would probably be fairly useless below four because they don't rotate the strike very well. I think Najib is flat out better than Nabi and should be batting ahead of him though. Nabi at seven would make the side feel less flaky, although it probably wouldn't actually make it much less flaky.

It's kind of like India fielding this top seven: Dhawan, Pant, Rahane, Pujara, Jadeja, Shankar, Raina... except without the depth in experienced talent to select otherwise.

Last edited: