• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

6th June - Group A - England v New Zealand

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
as a Kent fan, who rates Latham quite highly, can anyone from NZ give a reasonable answer to why Broom and Ronchi are both picked ahead of him, despite being so mediocre with the bat? Is it Ronchi's keeping is supposedly so much better which justifies picking someone who averages 24 to open?
Latham strikes at 80 in the one day game whereas Ronchi strikes at 115. I'm not a Ronchi fan but I see what they're going for by getting him to open.

Broom though, no idea.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea NZ have a hell of a drop off from the Kane/Taylor/Guptill to the rest. Would have thought Santner would be more suited up the order to extend the innings a bit and keep the big 3 company during the first 35-40 overs. Because as shown he's hopeless having a slog.

Meridio

International Regular
This is such bad batting. We all knew it was coming, but to actually see it happen again is just demoralising.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Time to give Neesham ownership of the no.5 slot. though he continues to get out in infuriating ways, among NZ's options his game looks best suited to the demands of the role.

Hesson/KW need to shake things up with the top 7 after this tournament.

Last edited:

ScottyMuser

Cricket Spectator
Latham strikes at 80 in the one day game whereas Ronchi strikes at 115. I'm not a Ronchi fan but I see what they're going for by getting him to open.

Broom though, no idea.
Ronchi may strike at 115, but average 24 whilst doing so - surely that's inviting disaster opening with a bloke who you expect to get out inside the first 7/8 overs? Broom at least stays around to allow Kane or Ross to bulid a score in the middle overs as well (not justifying his selection, just saying that the argument over Ronchi seems silly to me, I'd far rather someone bat slightly slower up the top and preserve their wicket). Pity McCullum retired - any reason he gave for retiring so young in the grand scheme of things?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sanga seems to be playing the "back in my day" card quite strongly. He's not even properly retired yet.

Oh, nice take from Jos there.

91Jmay

International Coach
Rash's fielding off his own bowling has always been crap. Could have finished them off there, should have been taken.

Days of Grace

International Captain
NZ should really just bat out the overs to avoid too much damage to their run rate.

Yeah, even if we beat Bangladesh, we are ****ed if Australia beat England because our net run rate will be horrible.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
NZ should really just bat out the overs to avoid too much damage to their run rate.
Their NRR is totally irrelevant actually. The only way they can finish level with anyone is if Australia tie or have the game rained off and NZ beat Bangladesh. In that scenario NZ finish ahead of Australia by virtue of winning one game more (NRR is the second tiebreaker after most wins).

Bijed

International Regular
Is a stumping off a wide a more or less quintessential Rashid wicket than a long-hop being smashed straight to mid-on?