• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd ODI at Canberra, 2 Dec 2020

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Neither wrist spinner adds anything other than their bowling and that was always known. But I think Virat just over rates wrist spinners in general. I mean we had Kumble forever and he was not a match winner or even a wicket taker in most LO conditions. He just kept it tight and got wickets through the pressure he built. I think Virat personally thinks leggies are just something greater than they actually are. Hence his idiotic pick of Karn Sharma over Ashwin and Jadeja in 2014 and his obsession with KulCha from 2017 till now. Chahal is fine in T20s and Kuldeep is good in ODIs but to play both of them is just impossible and it is quite possible that neither are our best spinners in many conditions, especially away from home in either format.
KulCha won us a heap of games before they ran into Eng at the WC didn't they? Might have been earlier but they did present a unique threat in ODIs until it stopped working.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KulCha won us a heap of games before they ran into Eng at the WC didn't they? Might have been earlier but they did present a unique threat in ODIs until it stopped working.
I thought it stopped working even in the 2018 tour of England. We just did not wake up to it early enough. They really lack variety and just like Ash and Jaddu, have literally no answers when faced with a no holds barred attack from the batting side. And I think the retirement of MSD has had a HUGE impact on the spinners overall, and especially those two. He was always giving them tips on lines and lengths to bowl to each batsman, whether the batsman was preparing to attack them etc etc. I don't think Rahul or Pant were able to do that, DK was ok but no MSD and the results show that. And once their bowling starts being taken apart, you can clearly see what liabilities they are as cricketers.

Hopefully for our next ODI series, we try a XI like this:

Dhawan (on notice and should be told explicitly to play more aggressively to complement Rohit, none of the old 45/0 in 10 overs BS)
Rohit (vc)
Virat (c)
Shreyas
Rahul (wk)
Jadeja
Hardik
Sundar/Tewatia
Bhuvi
Shami
Bumrah

We can have Saini as the like for like replacement for Bumrah and Shardul as the like for like for Shami, Chahar as like for like for Bhuvi. Rest kinda pick themselves and we will at least have 6 bowling options plus hopefully Shreyas, Virat and Rohit bowl more in the nets and we are prepared for any eventuality on the field.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great to see Maxi in such nick. Truly thought he was done after his WC flop but hes averaged 70 striking @ 140 in his 6 digs since

Still though, he'd got it down to a run a ball and seemingly his ADHD wouldn't let him do it in singles. I guess once you start swinging for the fences its not easy to turn the tap off

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Kulcha were incredibly good around 16-18 tbf. Dunno why they both dropped off around the same time right on the cusp of the WC.
They played a bunch of games together in world cup too until the game against England. They never played together since that game. I have been on KulCha bandwagon for long but I do now think that Chahal needs to rediscover his game and needs to be sent back to domestic cricket.

duffer

Kulcha were incredibly good around 16-18 tbf. Dunno why they both dropped off around the same time right on the cusp of the WC.
Teams are picking Kuldeep out of the hand these days, Chahal is just bowling tripe now.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There ought to be more a spin bowler can do than just disguising variations? Kuldeep needs to up his mental and tactical game, and I believe he can.

the big bambino

International Captain
It was a strange selection by Australia. We went in a batsman short and in doing so managed to weaken the bowling as well.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dhawan (on notice and should be told explicitly to play more aggressively to complement Rohit, none of the old 45/0 in 10 overs BS)
Rohit (vc)
Virat (c)
Shreyas
Rahul (wk)
Jadeja
Hardik
Sundar/Tewatia
Bhuvi
Shami
Bumrah
Surely Iyer has a line through him after this series? He's inept

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Watching the highlights, Kohli is **** at judging reviews from the other end.

Don't think Gill is cut out for limited overs cricket either. Serious pacing issues at the IPL and practically non-existent offside play. Think he might go OK in Tests eventually because he's great off his legs and has alright technique otherwise.

Hope Pandya sticks around for the Tests, even if he's only going to bat.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Green looked decent yesterday, was a nervous wreck for the first 15 balls but looked really good after that. Don't think he should be in discussion as a backup LOI team till he's bowling full quota's though.

stephen

Yeah Iyer really has no excuses for the way he got out. Not international standard.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not gonna have the worn out debate here but Shreyas was more indecisive than unable when it comes to playing the short ball. Like I said, he will be fine. We will see.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Not sure why all this Iyer hate here. He has only played 3 games in Australia and the first 2 games there was scoreboard pressure. Most players from sub continent tend to struggle when they encounter bouncy pitches for the first time. Kohli, VVS, Dravid all went through torrid phases in down under initially. He has looked quality in his international career so far and has the game to succeed at the highest level. He will improve. Deserves more opportunities.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not gonna have the worn out debate here but Shreyas was more indecisive than unable when it comes to playing the short ball. Like I said, he will be fine. We will see.
Being indecisive is tantamount to being unable to play the short ball.

I didn't actually see his dismissal as I went to get food, but what I saw wasn't impressive. He looked totally planted at the crease, had no real footwork at all even against good length deliveries. He was better against spin but honestly not that much better, all of the Indian bats except Kohli were really trying to hit the ball too hard rather than being nimble on their feet and working the angles/pace of the ball. I've not put too much stock into the "IPL is ruining techniques" thing but at least when it comes to this generation of Indian LO bats there might be something to that; this is clearly a generation of batsmen whose principal focus has been to practice hitting the ball as hard as they can through the line, and it showed when they had to display more touch and game understanding instead. Pandya at least played straight, the rest looked aesthetically pleasing only at a superficial level as they picked out fielders over and over again.

No worse than Green, really. He will be ok. He is more Yuvi than Raina against the short ball, so he is fine for LO cricket.
Green looked nervous as **** for his first 20 balls or so but it was actually a bit of a shame that he holed out when he did, he was starting to look very good at the crease. A bit Matthew Hayden-y with respect to planting on the front foot, but once his head stopped spinning he looked technically assured and decisive.