• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

38th Match - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
picking Rohit Sharma over Ajinka Rahane did cost us our first test series win in S. A. Not picking Rahane here might cost India the world cup now. There is a clear gap between Kohli/Rohit and the rest of the batting order...Dhawan's injury exposed it more of course...

Groundking

International Debutant
20190630_192511.jpg

Please **** off with this nonsense Morgan, this world cup has repeatedly shown that batting first is the better way to go about it

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
picking Rohit Sharma over Ajinka Rahane did cost us our first test series win in S. A. Not picking Rahane here might cost India the world cup now. There is a clear gap between Kohli/Rohit and the rest of the batting order...Dhawan's injury exposed it more of course...
Yeah, I think if India are to have a chance he Kohli needs to knuckle down and stop focusing on whinging to the press and dedicate himself only to batting. Nobody else in the Indian team is up to the job.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Really? I accept that Root didn't pick up the pace in today's innings very well, and the dropped catch was both poor and costly, but would you really swap him, as our most consistent bat and someone who has played a big part in many very impressive wins over the last few years, for someone who's basically just been a liability recently?
On today's game most certainly. Also on that type of pitch where the ball was hardly doing anything. England were 1 wicket down with almost 200 on the board and they got 25 runs in a 10 over period - anyone would have thought they were 5 down on a turner.

Not to mention the fact he just kept tuk tukking until there were less than 5 overs left.

With England's largely unproven bowling attack they are inevitably going to need to get near 350 as a defendable target. Root could yet end up being a liability under those circumstances.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Nasser asked Kohli at award ceremony: in last 5 overs the batsmen didn't look like they were trying. What was the approach.

Kohli's response: I don't know, you have to ask the 2 batsmen in the middle

andmark

International Captain
On today's game most certainly. Also on that type of pitch where the ball was hardly doing anything. England were 1 wicket down with almost 200 on the board and they got 25 runs in a 10 over period - anyone would have thought they were 5 down on a turner.

Not to mention the fact he just kept tuk tukking until there were less than 5 overs left.

With England's largely unproven bowling attack they are inevitably going to need to get near 350 as a defendable target. Root could yet end up being a liability under those circumstances.
Root averages 68 in this WC with a strike rate of 91.53. It's not the biggest strike rate, but he's surrounded by big-hitting batsmen in the England line up. He's far from a liability in most circumstances and would provide stability on pitches which aren't roads.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Nasser asked Kohli at award ceremony: in last 5 overs the batsmen didn't look like they were trying. What was the approach.

I liked his response today, I know he isn't gonna drop Dhoni even now - but at least he realizes he has made a mistake and has no way out of it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Bet the other players in the Indian dressing room are thrilled to hear that their captain has nfi what his team's strategy is.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Imagine if Dhoni had done what Root had done today - whilst Pandya was sat watching and waiting ... They would have been burning his effigy in India. Lol!

Member Berry

U19 Cricketer
it's honestly impressive how much (rightful) criticism dhoni's innings has garnered considering it had no real bearing on the result of this match. india did not lose because of him, not even close. england outplayed us before he got to the crease, and they outplayed us after.

it's just the manner of it all was so cynical, so calculated in its defeatism, it just felt utterly pathetic when it didn't need to be.

and i know kedar is new to this, but he deserves just as much stick imo. utterly selfish from him too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
it's honestly impressive how much (rightful) criticism dhoni's innings has garnered considering it had no real bearing on the result of this match. india did not lose because of him, not even close. england outplayed us before he got to the crease, and they outplayed us after.

it's just the manner of it all was so cynical, so calculated in its defeatism, it just felt utterly pathetic when it didn't need to be.

and i know kedar is new to this, but he deserves just as much stick imo. utterly selfish from him too.
He's been like it for years though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So if England wins against NZ and Bang/Pak win remaining games, it will come down to NRR between NZ and Bang/Pak for the 4th team right?

chicane

State Captain
That Dhoni performance was the worst bit of sport I’ve seen in a long time. If they went for it at least they had a chance of pulling it off, and if they failed they would have probably scored about the same anyway. Ofcourse he finished with a decent SR, they let him collect all those easy singles. Then he refuses those too. If, OTOH, he was unable to strike harder on that track, in that situation, he probably doesn’t even belong in that middle
order.