• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

38th Match - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I know he got a century but that was not a great Rohit century,,,just ate up to many dot balls, yeah he pulled it as the innings progressed, but on this sort of pitch in this era you need to be able to rotate strike from pretty much ball one.

Yep - the stats will show Rohit had a 93 S/R and Dhoni had a 135 S/R.
The issue was Rohit really, really struggling to start with, striking at 60 S/R for long periods of the match, struggling to rotate strike effectively (when Kohli was going at between 80-90 for almost consistently throughout the game).
Yea he powered on later and kept his wicket to start with, but just pushing the ball to take singles isn't really taking a risk.
It's not jut an isolated incident for Rohit either...he's a slow starter. He can go big, and if/when he really does he'll strike at 120-140 (perhaps higher than even Kohli will) but the team gets bogged down, and especially in a chase like this the partner feels the pressure.

Same issue for Dhoni.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
3 overs 57 to get

Kedar - drive to mid off for 1 (to Dhoni " Do it man, u r the finisher)

Dhoni - a push to square leg for 1 ("Come on! the time has not come yet)

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yep. People are surprised as though this has never happened. But it has. Dhoni has this thing where once the game reaches a position where it gets to "very difficult but not impossible", he prioritizes reducing the margin of defeat instead of trying to actually pull off an impossible chase.

I'm still pissed at him for not being more aggressive in that South Africa game ages ago when Faf Du Plessis rescued them.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yea I think you missed the sarcasm in my post
Just read the first para. too mad and want to break something lol. Will just leave,

Goodnight guys. Well played England, outplayed us.

Good stuff from Bunrah, Shami, Pandya, Kohli, Sharma,

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Yep - the stats will show Rohit had a 93 S/R and Dhoni had a 135 S/R.
The issue was Rohit really, really struggling to start with, striking at 60 S/R for long periods of the match, struggling to rotate strike effectively (when Kohli was going at between 80-90 for almost consistently throughout the game).
Yea he powered on later and kept his wicket to start with, but just pushing the ball to take singles isn't really taking a risk.
It's not jut an isolated incident for Rohit either...he's a slow starter. He can go big, and if/when he really does he'll strike at 120-140 (perhaps higher than even Kohli will) but the team gets bogged down, and especially in a chase like this the partner feels the pressure.

Same issue for Dhoni.
Yeah, I'd say that even by his own standards, Rohit didn't start well today, so as well as he got going later on, he probably needed to go a bit more ballistic and/or push on a bit after reaching his century to completely make up for the start

Dhoni to me seems like he can still score at pretty much any given rate, but always chooses to go one or two gears below what's required

Anyway, very pleased with this result (of course) - I know we still need to beat NZ to guarantee a top 4 spot, but I genuinely thought we'd bottled it and would get panned today. Having Roy back is huge and making the right call of bringing back Plunkett was a big plus too

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
This sort of thing will keep happening in a knock out game ( we are chasing a big to huge total) and the same guys will just turn up and **** up the same way without any lessons learned. That is the key take away from this game.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Ganguly's clearly pissed. Nasser's a bit scared to properly rip into them but gains confidence whenever Ganguly does and slips in a snide comment. Should just go all out.
Yet there are never any English commentators on Sky that criticise Root crawling along with England already 200-1.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I'd rather have our terribad teams from the 90s losing again rather than seeing **** like this from MSD again.

I quickly forgave Srinath trying to smash Olanga for a six but getting bowled in the last over of the WC in 99 when it was tight. But this? Dhoni can go and get ****ed. Drop the **** and strip Kohli off his captaincy for going along with this bull****. We don't deserve to win the WC with this ****ing attitude.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sometimes you just have to accept that the opposition played better. Once Rohit and Kohli were kept under control in the beginning and then got out without going huge, the weak middle order was always going to be left with too much to do. With Shami, Kuldeep, Bumrah and Chahal to come, would it really have made any difference if one of these two had got out trying to slog one in the 47th over? Once you accept that no one other than Pandya (and Pant to a lesser extent) was capable of keeping up with 12 an over RRR, it doesn't really matter how it ended. Though I accept that it is infuriating as fans to see them apparently giving up early.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Really pathetic from Dhoni and Kedar. I don't know what role Kedar is playing in this team. He isn't bowling. Is he in to bat those 5 overs only which he certainly can't?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
There was nothing wrong with Rohit's innings, its a simple case of other India batsmen having to step up. Imagine if KL had got 15 odd runs at the start in the 9 balls he faced, that's how small a margin we are talking (nowithstanding whatever the hell MSD did towards the end). India needs to tell KL Rahul to go for broke right at the start like Jason Roy does with England. Kohli and Rohit are both Anchors of the innings along with MSD. Pant, Pandya and KL need to be the aggressors in between to balance them out. Also I think Jadhav needs to be dropped, no fault of his but I think this India team is unbalanced comparatively. There is now a legitimate case for Jadeja as the second spinner, i'd drop Chahal for Jaddu unless the pitch is a genuine turner. This allows Bhuvi to be in the side and open the bowling with Shammi (who clearly is not as good at the death). Bumrah can be used for like 2 overs at the start and then mostly mid-end innings. Bhuvi bowls reasonably well at the death, Shammi can be used mid innings. Then you take 20 overs from any of Jadeja/Pandya/Kuldeep depending on who's bowling well that day.

KL Rahul
Rohit
Kohli
Pant
MSD/Pandya
MSD/Pandya
Jadeja
Bhuvi
Kuldeep
Shammi
Bumrah

That's my 11 from now on.

Shri

Mr. Glass
this is ****ing infuriating

for rest of the wc:

rohit
rahul
kohli
shankar/karthik
pant+
pandya
jadeja
bhuvi
shami
bumrah
chahal
you know what? I am sick of kedar too. **** him. so much that i'd rather play shankar.

cnerd123

likes this
Kohli admitting they lacked plans to contain the short boundaries with the spinners. Glaring oversight there. England did execute reverse sweeps/switch hits quite well, and it is pretty hard to stop that as a spinner, but they should have some concrete plans in place for that.

Also not defending MSD's go-slow, deflects the question by saying people should as MSD and Kedar and that he trusts they were trying their best.