• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

38th Match - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Shami, Kuldeep, Bumrah and Chahal to come, would it really have made any difference if one of these two had got out trying to slog one in the 47th over? Once you accept that no one other than Pandya (and Pant to a lesser extent) was capable of keeping up with 12 an over RRR, it doesn't really matter how it ended.
Giving up definitely matters imo. They literally don't believe they can chase 60 in 5 overs,which while difficult, is not a point in the game where you go "OK boys time to pack it in and pump up our averages a bit". This kind of attitude contributes immensely to India no longer being able to chase big scores like they used to.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Disappointing. I wanted India to knock England out and BD to qualify as a result.

Now England must lose to NZ, BD must beat India, and then must beat Pakistan. Tough
I think they can also qualify above NZ on NRR? So ideally you want the Kiwis to get smashed twice. :p

Shri

Mr. Glass
its a shame that we can't make immediate changes but post wc, what should the team look like?

sharma*
dhawan/shaw
kohli
iyer
gill(until rohit retires)
pant+
pandya
bhuvi
shami
bumrah
chahal

kuldeep

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Giving up definitely matters imo. They literally don't believe they can chase 60 in 5 overs,which while difficult, is not a point in the game where you go "OK boys time to pack it in and pump up our averages a bit". This kind of attitude contributes immensely to India no longer being able to chase big scores like they used to.
Haha yeah, this is literally something Bangladesh used to do back about 15 years ago. Pretty funny that it has come to this.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Shocking stat alert from today's game:

Root - Balls 54. Strike Rate 81

Dhoni - Balls 31. Strike Rate 135

Also Root dropped a hundred ball dolly.

To all the Dhoni haters. I'd rather have him in England's one day team any day.
As 12th man presumably.

Bijed

International Regular
Shocking stat alert from today's game:

Root - Balls 54. Strike Rate 81

Dhoni - Balls 31. Strike Rate 135

Also Root dropped a hundred ball dolly.

To all the Dhoni haters. I'd rather have him in England's one day team any day.
Really? I accept that Root didn't pick up the pace in today's innings very well, and the dropped catch was both poor and costly, but would you really swap him, as our most consistent bat and someone who has played a big part in many very impressive wins over the last few years, for someone who's basically just been a liability recently?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I do think India lost the game when they got 27/1 in first 10 overs. I do think India have forgotten how to chase 300+ and that includes Kohli. When was the last time he played a blinder chasing 300+? More than 2 years ago.

But I am most mad at Dhoni. Of course he didn't lose the game for India; it was uphill when he walked in. But how he doesn't even try or give the impression of caring is something I am sick of. Pay someone to kidnap him so we don't have to suffer his sight again. Until Pant and Pandya were playing it looked like they were trying. As soon as Dhoni walked in, he influenced his partner into giving up too. It's intolerable now.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you know what is disgusting

msd having a higher strike rate than pandya despite that stink up
Because of those couple of boundaries right at the end when it was mathematically impossible for India to win.

Pretty sure Dhoni fans will use this stat to prove he secretly actually played well

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
As 12th man presumably.
Nope.

Root's batting strike rate gets you 243 (a losing score in almost any game these days).

Dhoni's batting strike rate gets you 405 (all but a definite winning score).

Did I mention that Root also shelled an absolute dolly when India's century maker was on just 4?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Really pathetic from Dhoni and Kedar. I don't know what role Kedar is playing in this team. He isn't bowling. Is he in to bat those 5 overs only which he certainly can't?
Kedar is good. Unfortunately Dhoni is at the other hand most of the times when Kedar is playing. Remember what Kohli got out of Kedar in that run chase.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nope.

Root's batting strike rate gets you 243 (a losing score in almost any game these days).

Did I mention that Root also shelled an absolute dolly when India's century maker was on just 4?
Strike rate. A weak measure of worth, invoked frequently by the dishonest as a means of advancing their poor opinions.

andmark

International Captain
Nope.

Dhoni wouldn't bat 50 overs though with the small obstacle that he's a lower order batsman.

Bijed

International Regular
BBC

Virat Kohli had a strange complaint at the presentation.

On the short boundary today, he said: "The toss was vital, especially since the boundary was that short. It is a coincidence that it just falls under the limitations of the shortest boundary you can have.
"It is quite bizarre on a flat pitch. It is crazy things fall in place like that randomly."

Odd.
Not quite sure what he's getting at there?