• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd ODI ATXI

sunilz

International Regular
Please don't include players like Gilchrist, Dhoni, Jayasuriya, Bevan or Klusener who many think belong to 1st XI

Rohit
Mark Waugh
Ponting
Desilva (5th bowler)
Zaheer Abbas
Symonds (5th bowler)
Buttler(wkt)
Saqlain
Waqar
Lee
Bond

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To name any 2nd XI one needs to know the full 1st XI - otherwise this is a futile exercise.
What I think he means is "Best All-time ODI XI of players that reasonably would rarely be seen an ATG First XI"

One of my first selected would be M.Hussey. Shane Watson too but maybe he would be in a lot of people's First XIs.

sunilz

International Regular
What I think he means is "Best All-time ODI XI of players that reasonably would rarely be seen an ATG First XI"

One of my first selected would be M.Hussey. Shane Watson too but maybe he would be in a lot of people's First XIs.
Thought about Hussey but felt Symonds was better.
Was Watson a better ODI bat than Rohit/Waugh ?

TheJediBrah

Thought about Hussey but felt Symonds was better.
Was Watson a better ODI bat than Rohit/Waugh ?
Watson was about par with those 2 IMO. Not sure how he would have handled the top-class ODI bowling in the 90s like M.Waugh did, but his bowling more than makes up for any difference. One of the best white-ball all-rounders ever.

trundler

#4 could be a whole bunch of guys and I don't know how to split them. Anwar, Waugh, Ponting, Hussey and Buttler would form the rest of the top 6 with Dev at 7. Saqlain clearly the spinner of note too. Hard to split the pacers too but Donald has to be in there

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Rohit Sharma
Hashim Amla
Ricky Ponting
Ross Taylor
Michael Bevan (or is he still a clear pick for the 1sts?)
Shakib Al Hasan/Ryan Ten Doeschate (depending on conditions)
Jos Butler (wk)
Shaun Pollock
Mitchell Starc
Shane Bond
Saqlain Mushtaq

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Abbas is ridiculously unlucky to see himself nominated here. Cant remember who did the era adjusted stats that had him as the second best bat ever, but you would think it would be enough to occasionaly get him a nod.

Pollock too. Remember him coming out as number 1 AT on an era adjusted assesment, and spent way more games than anyone else as the number 1 ICC ranked bowler ever iirc. Plus being the only elite bowler you would trust to hold a bat.

Im ignoring the other picks who I have frequently seen in 1st XIs recently.

TheJediBrah

Abbas is ridiculously unlucky to see himself nominated here. Cant remember who did the era adjusted stats that had him as the second best bat ever, but you would think it would be enough to occasionaly get him a nod.

Pollock too. Remember him coming out as number 1 AT on an era adjusted assesment, and spent way more games than anyone else as the number 1 ICC ranked bowler ever iirc. Plus being the only elite bowler you would trust to hold a bat.

Im ignoring the other picks who I have frequently seen in 1st XIs recently.
Abbas was in the original post and Pollock wasn't presumably because he is often in 1st XIs

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Please don't include players like Gilchrist, Dhoni, Jayasuriya, Bevan or Klusener who many think belong to 1st XI

Rohit
Mark Waugh
Ponting
Desilva (5th bowler)
Zaheer Abbas
Symonds (5th bowler)
Buttler(wkt)
Saqlain
Waqar
Lee
Bond
Will be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts on suitability of Symonds as 5th bowler in an all time XI

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Fun game but will obviously ignore some criteria. For context, 1sts included, and the bowling attack will offend many people because it's right/in such a saturated and even field, I'm looking for clear superior achievements.

Gilchrist (wk)
Tendulkar
Viv (c)
Kohli
Bevan
ABDV
Flintoff
Starc (the best bowler of the meme batting era and a God of World Cups, tell your story in the changing sheds Wasim)
Bond (44 @ 15 against the greatest side of all time, usually when it mattered. Call me biased all you like, you want Bond on this team).
Murali
McGrath

Onto the seconds

Jayasuriya
Hayden (this **** strolling down the wicket to mow some poor sod is iconic)
Ponting (c)
Root (yes, Joe Root. This mother****er is quietly a God of this format).
Dhoni (wk)
Hussey
Klusener
Wasim
Warne
Garner
Waqar

Alternatively, the firsts could just be a side mixed from the 2003 and 2007 world cup squads with Mitchell Starc along for the ride. The golden age of ODIs in the 90s and 00s was a competitive time with some powerful sides (and gentler conditions for good bowlers) but this lot were just ridiculous.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
00s Golden era XI:

Gilchrist+
Hayden
Ponting
Sangakkara
Symonds
Hussey
Flintoff
Hogg
Bond
Murali
McGrath

12th: Lee

Other era XI:

Tendulkar
Lara
Kohli
Dhoni+
De Villiers
Bevan
Klusener
Warne
Saqlain
Ambrose
Garner

12th: Pollock

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Vintcent van der Bijl should be included in some best XI
Would have loved to have known how he would have gone in international cricket. 5wpm @ 16.5 in FC is insane, particularly considering he played a bunch of 3/4 day games. These are figures from the 1800s, not the 1970s. And a ridiculously tall/bouncy, super accurate channel bowler with reasonable pace that gets the ball to move is never going to do badly.

On the other hand, the batting in RSA wasnt that strong in his era, and his home grounds were seriously pace friendly.

TheJediBrah

Was Fred Spofforth any good? Just saw he had a weird average (like 14) but don't know anything about him or why it was so low

Himannv

International Coach
It's hard to comment on this without knowing what the first XI might be or who exactly qualifies for it potentially.

So let's say the first XI is this:

01. Sachin Tendulkar
02. Sanath Jayasuriya/Adam Gilchrist
03. Virat Kohli
04. AB de Villiers
05. Viv Richards
06. MS Dhoni/Michael Bevan
07. Kapil Dev/Lance Klusener
08. Wasim Akram/Shaun Pollock
09. Joel Garner
10. Murali/Saqlain
11. Glenn McGrath

So that's 16 players out. Are there any more to add?

So the 2nd XI will probably be:

01. Rohit Sharma
02. Mark Waugh
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Jos Buttler
05. Andrew Symonds
06. Mike Hussey
07. Andrew Flintoff
08. Mitchell Starc
09. Brett Lee
10. Shane Warne
11. Shane Bond