• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd ODI ATXI

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Pollock isn't in 1st XIs because he didn't do much in World Cups when SA needed him. 31 wickets in 31 WC matches @ 31 and 256 runs at 17.43.

sunilz

International Regular
Nah, Pollock isn't in 1st XIs because he didn't do much in World Cups when SA needed him. 31 wickets in 31 WC matches @ 31 and 256 runs at 17.43.
Kohli , Dhoni and Gilchrist are famous for their WC achievements.

Before you bring Gilchrist/Dhoni ODI WC final knocks into discussion, you need to remember Pollock took 5 wkt in WC 1999 Semi- Final.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollock was a JAMODI bully but failed when it mattered

Also captained SA to the disastrous 2003 Home World Cup Group Stage Exit Duckworth Lewis Fiasco (HWCGSEDLF)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Lots of pressure on the skipper, yeah, he was going to let his whole country down if he failed. The weight of all those expectations, the weight of the entire country on his shoulders. Forty-two million supporters, all of them depending on Shaun.
Quoting someone you don't like?

Himannv

International Coach
Quoting someone you don't like?
Have to give the devil his due - that was the best thing he's done on a cricket pitch, followed closely by this thing:

Generally speaking, I've been happy with his work with the gloves on for most part.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have to give the devil his due - that was the best thing he's done on a cricket pitch, followed closely by this thing:

Generally speaking, I've been happy with his work with the gloves on for most part.
Sangakkara probably has the best sense of humour I've seen in a professional sportsman.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
My first ODI all time eleven would be -
Sachin Tendulkar
Rohit Sharma/Desmond Haynes/
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli/ Dean Jones/Abbas
Michael Bevan/Abdv
MSD/Gilchrist
Kapil Dev/Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram,
Shane Warne / Murali
Ambrose /Mcgrath/ Garner

Now basing upon that my second unconventional eleven would be-
Saurav Ganguly,
Mathew Hayden,
Ricky Ponting,
Kallis,
Hussey,
Sangakkara (wk)
Andrew Symonds,
Saqlain Mushtaq,
Shane Bond,
Fannie Devilliers
Alan Donald.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
4th 11

Anwar - Greenidge
Lloyd, Buttler, Kallis, Jones, Yuvi
Flintoff, Abdul Qadir, Waquar, Ambrose
Unlike Test , Pollock is as good as McGrath/Akram in ODI. Add his batting skills and he is a very good choice for 1st 11.

People don't pick Pollock because there are not many South African supporters on this forum reminding us of how good he was.
Yet ABdV features in almost all the teams.

Pollock wasn't as good as Donald ( or Akram, Mcgrath.. Etc) with ball... Thats the reason.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
4th 11

Anwar - Greenidge
Lloyd, Buttler, Kallis, Jones, Yuvi
Flintoff, Abdul Qadir, Waquar, Ambrose

Yet ABdV features in almost all the teams.

Pollock wasn't as good as Donald ( or Akram, Mcgrath.. Etc) with ball... Thats the reason.
Pollock outbowled Donald pretty consistently when they played together, and his peak was probably after Donald retired.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Klusener could have sneaked a single in the 99 semi, Pollock would have had a MotM performance in a WC semi.

EDIT: Well, close to. Zulu would have been MotM obviously.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I feel Pollock was better with the bat later on in his career and he wasn't anything special in 99. Zulu was pretty much going solo there and winning it by himself.
Nah Imeant coz he got the 5fer that game and there was a period in the middle when him/Klusener and Kallis bowled like 10 overs for 11 runs together. First posted somehow forgetting how big the impact of Klusener was, on the game. lol.