• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd ODI ATXI

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My first XI is:

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist +
Ricky Ponting *
Virat Kohli
Viv Richards
AB DeVilliers
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

My second XI would be:

Sanath Jayasuriya
Shane Watson
Dean Jones
Brian Lara
Andrew Symonds
Clive Lloyd *
MS Dhoni +
Lance Klusener
Shane Warne
Mitchell Starc
Curtly Ambrose

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Yeah bit of a dumb tangent from me there
Not your tangent tbf.

But you are comparing arguably the premier quick from the 1800s to a basic unknown from the 1970s, and saying Fred managed a slightly better FC record doesnt say much.

There arent any answers here. Good/great/stellar
are all on the cards. Its just interesting to speculate on the quick with arguably the best FC bowling record in the last century.

Bolo.

Big Vince is hardly a basic unknown. Many consider him the best bowler never to play a test.
We know who he is. Just not how well he would have gone in international cricket. He is far more of an unknown than the other top players from RSAs ban era who got a lot more exposure to more forms of cricket.q

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
My 2nd 11

Rohit - Gilly
Abbas, Ponting, Chappell, Bevan
Klusner, Pollock
Murali, Donald, McGrath.

3rd 11
Jayasurya - Watson
Sanga, Crowe, Desilva, Hussey , Symonds
Imran, Warne, Starc, Lillee

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
My 2nd 11

Rohit - Gilly
Abbas, Ponting, Chappell, Bevan
Klusner, Pollock
Murali, Donald, McGrath.

3rd 11
Jayasurya - Watson
Sanga, Crowe, Desilva, Lloyd , Symonds
Imran, Warne, Starc, Lillee
Trying to work out your first XI - I'm assuming you've got Tendulkar, Viv, Kohli, De Villiers, Dhoni, Kapil, Wasim, Garner? Maybe Saeed Anwar as the other opener, Saqlain as the spinner? And another quick - Bond? Possibly an obvious name or two that I'm forgetting.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Trying to work out your first XI - I'm assuming you've got Tendulkar, Viv, Kohli, De Villiers, Dhoni, Kapil, Wasim, Garner? Maybe Saeed Anwar as the other opener, Saqlain as the spinner? And another quick - Bond? Possibly an obvious name or two that I'm forgetting.
Sachin Lara
Viv Kohli AB
Dhoni Kapil Hadlee
Akram Saqlain Garner

Bolo.

Was feeling Pollock was a bit hard done by in terms of not making a bunch of 2nd XIs. Checked his ICC rankings. He managed a year end number 1 rank 7 times. That is seriously impressive. Was competing with Mcgrath and Murali for his entire career, and a bunch of other ATGs for most of it. Garner and Ambrose did it 4 times each, but they couldnt bat.

Doubt anyone since Bradman has run this close in either version or discipline, other than maybe Steyn or Sobers.

Calling @AndrewB to scrape some ICC data :)

sunilz

International Regular
Was feeling Pollock was a bit hard done by in terms of not making a bunch of 2nd XIs. Checked his ICC rankings. He managed a year end number 1 rank 7 times. That is seriously impressive. Was competing with Mcgrath and Murali for his entire career, and a bunch of other ATGs for most of it. Garner and Ambrose did it 4 times each, but they couldnt bat.

Doubt anyone since Bradman has run this close in either version or discipline, other than maybe Steyn or Sobers.

Calling @AndrewB to scrape some ICC data :)
Pollock is in most people First 11 and competing with McGrath and Akram. I didn't write his name in the 1st post because I thought it was understood.

Similarly Klusener is competing with Kapil ?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pollock is in most people First 11 and competing with McGrath and Akram. I didn't write his name in the 1st post because I thought it was understood.

Similarly Klusener is competing with Kapil ?
Lord loo. Most people don't have Pollock in their ODI XI. You might, but you're not most people. It's common to see Akram, McGrath and Garner as the pace attack. Pollock is fighting for the number 7 spot with many others usually.

Not saying Pollock wasn't good, he was, he just isn't a lock for the first team.

sunilz

International Regular
Lord loo. Most people don't have Pollock in their ODI XI. You might, but you're not most people. It's common to see Akram, McGrath and Garner as the pace attack. Pollock is fighting for the number 7 spot with many others usually.

Not saying Pollock wasn't good, he was, he just isn't a lock for the first team.
Unlike Test , Pollock is as good as McGrath/Akram in ODI. Add his batting skills and he is a very good choice for 1st 11.

People don't pick Pollock because there are not many South African supporters on this forum reminding us of how good he was.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Unlike Test , Pollock is as good as McGrath/Akram in ODI. Add his batting skills and he is a very good choice for 1st 11.

People don't pick Pollock because there are not South African supporters on this forum reminding us of how good he was.
so basically he isn't in most people's first XI

Bolo.

Days spent above 800 ratings point ( Data till 2008)
That gap is ridiculous, especially compared to the guys who played longer.

800 is a pretty stiff measurement for ODI bowlers, unlike bats/test players. I think only 2 current players have ever topped 800.

sunilz

International Regular
That gap is ridiculous, especially compared to the guys who played longer.

800 is a pretty stiff measurement for ODI bowlers, unlike bats/test players. I think only 2 current players have ever topped 800.
Bumrah , Starc/Boult ?