• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

BSM

U19 Cricketer
So Root's gonna bat at 3 apparently, which probably means that Denly drops down to 4. Can't help but feel that it would be worth putting Roy at 4 and Denly in to open though. Denly is an experienced and in form opener in county cricket and hasn't necessarily looked clueless at no.3. Conversely, I think Roy has looked all over the place against the swinging ball. I guess the idea is that Roy is a potential long-term solution to a problem that we desperately need to solve, so it's worth giving him a good go of it. Either way, Burns is going to be a liability I''m afraid, and I feel with Root's recent bad form it might be the least opportune time to move him into a position where he doesn't feel comfortable.

the big bambino

International Captain
With the news on Root and Pattinson maybe these sides will be picked.

England: 1. Burns 2. Roy 3. Root 4. Denly 5. Buttler 6. Stokes 7. Bairstow 8. Moeen 9. Woakes 10. Broad 11. Anderson. It is the least crap batting side England can field imo, though with Root a reluctant 3 you'd wonder if the top 4 can score enough runs and occupy enough time to give their lower order a chance to score runs. They could risk Archer but maybe not with a returning Anderson. Broad bowled well in the 2nd innings v Ireland so keeps a spot. Would like to find a place for Curran but he'd come in for either one of Denly, Moeen, Woakes or Broad and can't make a better argument for selecting him over any of them.

Australia: 1. Warner 2. Bancroft 3. Usman 4. Smith 5. Head 6. Wade 7. Paine 8. Pattinson 9. Cummins 10. Starc 11. Lyon. Starc is vulnerable now that Pattinson has barged his way back in but is lucky that Haze isn't bowling well, though Siddle might beat them both. No.6 could be a bits and pieces player like Marsh or Marnus, especially if the selectors are worried about Pattinson. In that case I'd have Marnus over Marsh. But you'd have to gamble on England not being able to keep our bowlers in the field for long so I'd go past both and pick Wade.

Last edited:

wrongun

Banned
Everyone is focusing on the English top order but its the middle order that could stick in there and change the game. A 5th bowler is needed for Aus. Having an extra batsmen won't make much of a difference. I hope the 5th bowler isn't Marsh.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
With Root at 3 is it a certainty that Denly will be 4 or could we surprise everyone and open with Denly and Roy bats 4?

BSM

U19 Cricketer
With Root at 3 is it a certainty that Denly will be 4 or could we surprise everyone and open with Denly and Roy bats 4?
I think Denly has been told he is gonna bat at 4 apparently. I don't think it solves much, if anything at all tbh. We're gonna lose 3 quick wickets either way.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah don't see the point if Denly is going to bat at 4. I know he does not open for Kent but he was picked as a top 3 option. If they had picked Northeast who whoever who has always been a middle order player then you can understand Root moving up but to drop a top order batsman down just seems weird.

trundler

With the news on Root and Pattinson maybe these sides will be picked.

England: 1. Burns 2. Roy 3. Root 4. Denly 5. Buttler 6. Stokes 7. Bairstow 8. Moeen 9. Woakes 10. Broad 11. Anderson. It is the least crap batting side England can field imo, though with Root a reluctant 3 you'd wonder if the top 4 can score enough runs and occupy enough time to give their lower order a chance to score runs. They could risk Archer but maybe not with a returning Anderson. Broad bowled well in the 2nd innings v Ireland so keeps a spot. Would like to find a place for Curran but he'd come in for either one of Denly, Moeen, Woakes or Broad and can't make a better argument for selecting him over any of them.

Australia: 1. Warner 2. Bancroft 3. Usman 4. Smith 5. Head 6. Wade 7. Paine 8. Pattinson 9. Cummins 10. Starc 11. Lyon. Starc is vulnerable now that Pattinson has barged his way back in but is lucky that Haze isn't bowling well, though Siddle might beat them both. No.6 could be a bits and pieces player like Marsh or Marnus, especially if the selectors are worried about Pattinson. In that case I'd have Marnus over Marsh. But you'd have to gamble on England not being able to keep our bowlers in the field for long so I'd go past both and pick Wade.
The formatting here makes it nearly indecipherable.

Spark

Global Moderator
I approve of Pattinson being a lock.

Not because it's an absolutely, objectively good idea, but James Pattinson is just so much more fun. Plus, he had a pretty miserable time in England last time so it'd be nice to see him have a proper run at it.

TheJediBrah

Can't Head be the fifth bowler? How bad is he?
very bad

I think Denly has been told he is gonna bat at 4 apparently. I don't think it solves much, if anything at all tbh. We're gonna lose 3 quick wickets either way.
lol why is denly even playing then? He's definitely not Test-standard, and the only reason he was getting a game (afaik) was because no one else wanted to bat top 3