• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test at Brisbane, 8th-12th of December 2021

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Damn, was looking forward to seeing Bairstow get clean bowled and then trudge off at the pace of longshore drift with a look on his face as if someone just punched the Queen
Pope will probably make a stylish 30 and then get out lbw to Nathan Lyon instead.

I rate him though tbh.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Woakes and Sam Curran have both been worked over by teams bowling short at them in recent times and look much lesser batsman as a result in the longer format. That being said, players can improve or come up with different tactics, hopefully Woakes has thought about his batting game for Aus, although I'd expect similar kind of results to last time.
Yeah nah, woakes has been crucial with the bat in recent times, 50 vs India 1st test back and 85* vs Pak.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah nah, woakes has been crucial with the bat in recent times, 50 vs India 1st test back and 85* vs Pak.
Woakes is good enough to bat #7 in Test cricket in almost all conditions IMO. The Gabba is probably one of the few surfaces in the world he's really just not; he doesn't like pace and bounce.

He'll be at #8 anyway though which is fine. Not h4x as that would usually be, but fine.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Green wicket, kookaburra ball replicating a duke, humid conditions..........if only this was all good news for our batting line-up.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
My main reservation about Anderson these days is that he is a walking wicket. It's almost as if he's given up even trying to stay in. But Woakes and Robinson are both pretty handy bats, Leach can stick around, and Wood can hit it a long way.
He's a number 11. What do you expect?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"With five tests in six weeks the plan was to get him ready for the second Test"

Yeah while dropping him for the crucial first test where the momentum could make a huge difference. Awesome logic. If he was fit might as well have played him in first two tests and given him rest for the third.
ITISAJOKE
T
I
S
A
J
O
K
E

Woodster

International Captain
The thing is there’s never a good time to leave Jimmy out of a Test but it’d be impossible for him to play all five Tests. If he played the first three and it was a tight series, there’d be uproar if he was left out of any of the last two.

Despite the green looking pitch now, I think most people acknowledge it’s still going to be a decent batting deck, save Jimmy from the donkey work there and let him go into Adelaide day/nighter fresh! Makes some sense at least.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad Pope is in ahead of Bairstow. Really hope the lad can come good at last, England desperately need another batsman to establish themselves as at least 'adequate' at Test level.

Interesting that the final spot seems to be Leach vs Broad, so I guess Wood and Woakes are locks. Broad wasn't at his best in the England summer but I thought he still had seniority over those two.

If there's rain about I can seem them playing all 5 right arm seamers and no spinner which is a pretty ugly balance but I suppose they'll want to use Stokes and Wood sparingly.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What’s Stokes’ likely output with the ball? If he can give them 8-10 a day you’d think Leach would play, but if they think he might break down they might play five seamers. Crazy.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
What’s Stokes’ likely output with the ball? If he can give them 8-10 a day you’d think Leach would play, but if they think he might break down they might play five seamers. Crazy.
He apparently bowled 10 overs in a day in the intra-squad warm up game last week (and took a couple of wickets). Don't know if that was at full pace though as it was behind closed doors and wasn't broadcast.

Reports are he's fully fit but obviously short of match practice so I can see the team management being cautious regarding him in planning meetings (before he inevitably persuades Root to give him a 15 over spell bowling fast and short when he actually takes the field).

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I mean you shouldn’t diss them for being drunk, it’s the only way to cope when surrounded by people who think two days of panic buying in September would mean 90 mile queues in December, or perhaps those who think a nasty Covid death rate in 2020 means we are all still gasping for breath now, here in pretty much the most free country on earth by my current tally. But hey that’s just me. Let’s hope the Aussie cricketers are as uninformed about their English counterparts as their spectators are as if so they’ll probably be preparing to bat against Caddick and Gough.
Let's face it though, the death toll meant there was a lot more air to go around those who were left, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison. You guys are just lucky we deferred to your incompetence and let you have all the vaccines first to stop you all dying from something other than malnutrition. I can assure you, we won't be so kind during The Ashes.

Apparently tomorrow is a sellout, which means anyone else who wants to watch in in QLD will have to go to the pub. A place we have been able to spend much of the time since COVID began last March due to our incredibly low case numbers/death rate.