• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have any CW members put you off supporting a country?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing wrong with being passionate about your team, but I just know that an Indian victory will be followed by a flurry of threads hailing the feats of the great Indian players and all the Indian supporters will scurry over CC.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I probably like NZ more because of CW and have come to really dislike the Indian team because of CW. Which is a shame since the posters that are quality are amongst the best out there, but they're outnumbered by the ones that do my head in with their crap.

Shri

Mr. Glass
You people clearly have issues. Should be able to differentiate between the interwebz and the real life. I hate every opposition India faces on match day, but if I see a player playing really well and if he is nearing a milestone, I would root for him irrespective of his nationality.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I generally put members on ignore if I think they're becoming annoying, but people still quote them...:dry:
Have never used the ignore function I must say. Have been tempted, but find it more useful to have the whole thread laid out for me when I'm reading it.

Really regretted it lately though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I have issues because I don't want to support India? Yep, typical really.
I didn't quote you or anyone else here. So, I didn't address you or any individual. Just thinking out loud in general. Did I take the bait?<_<

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, but it's a neat little box which is a lot less annoying than the content of the post for the most part!

Is mildly irksome that one can still see it when he or she is quoted tho; defeats the object somewhat.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I wasn't such a fan of so many Indian players, it's safe to say that the majority of CC would have put me off ever supporting them.

I've never supported Man Utd in my life either, but Rose and Aussie make me hate them even more.

Beevers vilifying Steve McClaren made me feel justified in wanting England to lose badly whilst under his tenure, not that I needed any excuse.
I don't think it works this way as much as you'd think. I'll quite happily look out for Tranmere scores even though Corrin cracks open champagne every time United lose. But when it comes to internationals I'll often support whoever's playing against England even though most of the English tacitly support the Irelands whenever they play.

I think which team someone supports is often already predetermined and their perception of their fans is based on that. It's always funny to see United fans moan about how all Liverpool fans are arrogant/deluded/hopelessly biased when Liverpool fans are saying precisely the same thing about United fans. Truth be told, a lot of British footy fans are unbearable, and it's just easier to overlook it when they support the same team you do.

It's a bit different for me personally in cricket because I usually don't have a team. I think the forum has made me like the English cricket team more (although that could also be because their side has got so much more likable since I signed up) and the Indian cricket team less. When India toured England in '07 I was cheering India on all the way. I can't even imagine being in that position now.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't crack champagne open when Man U lose!

Can't stand that ****. Guinness does the job just fine.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Indian cricket fans on CW put people off, I really wonder what some other Indian cricket fans would do to some people.

Actually quite worrying.

Indian fans from India on this board are among the best I've ever seen.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't think I've ever been put off a country in general; I've definitely been put off players though. I'm not proud of it but there have been times I've wanted a player to fail purely because of a debate on here.

I tend to view cricket a lot more individualistically than most though (ie. I pay more attention to development of players' careers than which team's winning) so that's probably to be expected.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I actually have a lot more time for India and Pakistan than I used to, India mainly from here, Pakistan tbf mostly because of some gun posters on other non-cricket boards.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think which team someone supports is often already predetermined and their perception of their fans is based on that. It's always funny to see United fans moan about how all Liverpool fans are arrogant/deluded/hopelessly biased when Liverpool fans are saying precisely the same thing about United fans. Truth be told, a lot of British footy fans are unbearable, and it's just easier to overlook it when they support the same team you do.
It does get difficult watching Prem football and wanting everyone to lose.

Also, India, boooo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't think I've ever been put off a country in general; I've definitely been put off players though. I'm not proud of it but there have been times I've wanted a player to fail purely because of a debate on here.

I tend to view cricket a lot more individualistically than most though (ie. I pay more attention to development of players' careers than which team's winning) so that's probably to be expected.
Kinda the opposite, have actually come round on a few players because of the slating they get from some quarters on here. Was never a Matty Hayden fan for instance, but to read some people on CW you'd think he'd never scored a run unless he was playing the Zimbabwe women's under 19 team on concrete.

See also Brett Lee & Steve Harmison.