• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women's football stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Chubb

International Regular
Several words Australians use without issue would be considered racist in the UK. Wog is one. ****, (Pakistan) for some reason, is another. It's very offensive to use that word in the UK, but Aussies don't seem to think there's a problem.

Not saying that's what has happened here but it was my first thought when I saw the story.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What exactly is 'racially harassing?'

Sounds like more than just a comment

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems an awfully long time after the alleged incident for this to come up now.

I've no idea what she's purported to have said, but I will say "foreign football player abusing copper" is the kind of headline the tabs would usually be all over, and I don't recall anything mentioned in the media last year, which was a WC year too.

Given the "not guilty" verdict in John Terry's criminal trial where TV footage actually showed him yelling the abuse at Ferdinand jr. one would hope the evidence is extremely compelling or surely a similar verdict should be returned.

I don't buy the "only white people can be racist" line (Hi, Kanye!) but it'd be a very bad look for the police to be charging someone from an Anglo-Indian background if the case against them isn't watertight.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****, (Pakistan) for some reason, is another. It's very offensive to use that word in the UK, but Aussies don't seem to think there's a problem.
I think it's more that people here weren't aware for a very long time it was an offensive term elsewhere. I don't hear it being used these days tbh but obviously can't speak for others. It was used in TV ads promoting Pakistan tours here in the 80s and genuinely no one thought anything of it. Can honestly say it wasn't until I first went to the UK in 2003 I became aware it was an epithet either.

Might also be our predilection for shortening everything led to it being used here as well, but like I said I haven't heard it in popular parlance in ages.

social

Very odd

Kerr has only made it worse for herself by not telling FA at the very least

Molehill

International Captain
Had to laugh at this line in the Beeb report.......

"Asked if Kerr - arguably Australia's biggest sports star - should be stood down as the national team's captain until the court case has played out, Mr Johnson said the governing body needed to "establish the facts" before deciding its "next step"."

Yeah, there's a pretty strong argument to suggest she's not.

social

Yeah, it might be completely unjustified when based on skill alone but they’re huge

Spark

Global Moderator
I honestly would struggle to name many bigger than her. Certainly wouldn't be enough to count with more than one hand.

social

I watched a bit of their Olympic qualifier last week

Crowd of 55k and tv ratings were enormous

Irrelevant that standard was atrocious

Molehill

International Captain
I was going to say that's a surprise, but the more I think about it, maybe not. The last 2 SPOTY winners here were female footballers, but that probably highlights the success they've had compared to other sports over the last 2 years.

There were 60k for the N London Derby on Sunday, but I don't think TV Ratings are that great at a club level.

So she would trump the likes of Cummins, Smith or the top NRL players?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm a little surprised too, tbh, but that's possibly indicative of my own biases as much as anything else.

I'd have guessed yer Cumminses, Smiths, Warners, Petraccas, Bontempellis, Clearys and Tedescos would have way more brand recognition.

social

Matildas popularity is just weird

Good but not great team and certainly nothing compared to the female cricketers, netballers, swimmers and even basketballers

ripper868

International Coach
I'm a little surprised too, tbh, but that's possibly indicative of my own biases as much as anything else.

I'd have guessed yer Cumminses, Smiths, Warners, Petraccas, Bontempellis, Clearys and Tedescos would have way more brand recognition.
This is literally the first time I've heard of Petraccas and Bontompelli.

Granted I've been UK based for 9 years now, but Kerr significantly wider known than all on that list IMO

BoyBrumby

Englishman
This is literally the first time I've heard of Petraccas and Bontompelli.

Granted I've been UK based for 9 years now, but Kerr significantly wider known than all on that list IMO
Petracca, tbf; I pluralised for (obviously failed) comedic effect.

AFL not really your bag though, is it?

Molehill

International Captain
Matildas popularity is just weird
But is it? I guess the more you think about it, reaching the semi finals of a global sport on home soil is always going to grab attention. You could argue that that achievement is higher than cricketers or netballers winning World Cups given the greater level of competition.