• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
I feel just as excited for an Aus win as I would if series 2-2 as Aus have a lot to prove after last test. The only difference is I won't be as nervous as Ashes already retained, but I will think Eng was the better team if it's drawn 2-2

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
lol what? The aim has always been to WIN the ashes, not just retain them. It's nice, sure, but not winning them outright will be seen as somewhat of a failure (especially considering we were 2-0 up)
The context for being 2-0 up has to be considered though doesn't it?

We barely won both those tests and in the process lost our most important bowler, not to mention losing every coin toss and having a bunch of players prove completely ineffective in the conditions.

I get your point but realistically no one is looking back at this series in 20 years time thinking 2-2 and a retention is a failure.

Gob

International Coach
The context for being 2-0 up has to be considered though doesn't it?

We barely won both those tests and in the process lost our most important bowler, not to mention losing every coin toss and having a bunch of players prove completely ineffective in the conditions.

I get your point but realistically no one is looking back at this series in 20 years time thinking 2-2 and a retention is a failure.
That's up for debate but what is wrong with picking your best team and like really try hard to win the next game and make it 3-1?

mackembhoy

International Debutant

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I still find general talk of Smith retiring in the next 3 or 4 years baffling tbh. Guy loves the game so much he'd probably find a way to play until 40 if his abilities don't depart him.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
I still find general talk of Smith retiring in the next 3 or 4 years baffling tbh. Guy loves the game so much he'd probably find a way to play until 40 if his abilities don't depart him.
Smith said himself last summer that he didn't know how long he would play but it wouldn't as long as people think. I don't think he even committed to next summer

Edit: found it from January

"Steve Smith says he still has “no plans” for retirement, despite saying he doesn’t know whether he’ll play another Test match in Australia"

Last edited:

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Anyone who wants to pretend that we're not the best team is coping.

Still hasn't won a series against India in God knows how many years.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha sure, if the benchmark we're setting is to win a series in subcontinent conditions on doctored pitches.
Someone raised a point about winning in India..
So not only did you change the sequence of the replies to make them out of order, you then highlighted a word which changed the entire context.

1690270279899.png

halba

International 12th Man
5th test XI. possible.

Plenty of bowling options, and bats relatively deep. Abbott and/or Neser can bat and should've started playing from the 1st test onwards, instead of Boland who the selectors massively over rated.

Warner
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Abbott
Neser
Cummins
Murphy

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Will be interesting to see which seamers England go with. Robinson averages 19 at The Oval whilst Tongue's pace would be a decent weapon here too. I'd bring them in for Broad (looking knackered after 5 Tests) and Anderson (just been ineffective).

loterry1994

International Debutant
5th test XI. possible.

Plenty of bowling options, and bats relatively deep. Abbott and/or Neser can bat and should've started playing from the 1st test onwards, instead of Boland who the selectors massively over rated.

Warner
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Abbott
Neser
Cummins
Murphy
There saying Starc and marsh apparently are a bit banged up

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting to see which seamers England go with. Robinson averages 19 at The Oval whilst Tongue's pace would be a decent weapon here too. I'd bring them in for Broad (looking knackered after 5 Tests) and Anderson (just been ineffective).
There's talk of Woakes picking up a minor injury at OT.