• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest cricketers from the subcontinent - how would you rank them?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I am going over Gavaskar’s FC games on cricketarchive and every once in a while he pulls out “wow” inning out of nowhere against formidable pace attacks. He was a genius. Below is his last FC game. What a way to end the career!

View attachment 33092
Last test.. 96 runs in a minefield
2nd last ODI.. Fastest century for the country.
Last FC 188 runs against Hadlee, Marshall and Rice.

Gavaskar is the only indian cricketer to retire before becoming useless.

Slifer

International Captain
Last test.. 96 runs in a minefield
2nd last ODI.. Fastest century for the country.
Last FC 188 runs against Hadlee, Marshall and Rice.

Gavaskar is the only indian cricketer to retire before becoming useless.
Gavaskar was actually plumb lbw to Marshall in that match but you know he couldn't go out that way. In the 2nd innings, Marshall didn't need the umpire; he bowled Sunny all ends up

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Imran definitely #1, but I find Murali v Tendulkar pretty tough. I could definitely swap them around on another day, but for now I'll go with:

1 Imran
2 Murali
3 Tendulkar
4 Gavaskar
5 Sanga
6 Wasim

subshakerz

International Coach
Imran definitely #1, but I find Murali v Tendulkar pretty tough. I could definitely swap them around on another day, but for now I'll go with:

1 Imran
2 Murali
3 Tendulkar
4 Gavaskar
5 Sanga
6 Wasim
I personally have Tendulkar over Murali. Murali's lack of success in Australia is a bit of a downer for me.

Shady Slim

International Coach
it’s also just rough and arbitrary to compare an all time great spin bowler with an all time great batsman imho to the extent the only real differentiator is your personal preference

Shady Slim

International Coach
like you can obviously say murali is better than marcus harris

but when you’re dealing with two masters of their craft across crafts it’s jungle law

subshakerz

International Coach
like you can obviously say murali is better than marcus harris

but when you’re dealing with two masters of their craft across crafts it’s jungle law
They were both masters. Tendulkar to me didn't really leave any challenge unmet by the end of his career, whereas I had that feeling with Murali. Arbitrary, yes, but a distinction.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
For me, Murali is the greatest spinner in the history of the game. So he is a clear #1. I flip around Sachin and Imran for #2 slot though depending on my mood that day.

subshakerz

International Coach
For me, Murali is the greatest spinner in the history of the game. So he is a clear #1. I flip around Sachin and Imran for #2 slot though depending on my mood that day.
Murali's competition for no.1 spinner is pretty much only Shane Warne though and then a fair drop after that. On the list of all bowlers, spin and pace, Murali may not rank so high, whereas Tendulkar is a candidate for the best after Bradman.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
it’s also just rough and arbitrary to compare an all time great spin bowler with an all time great batsman imho to the extent the only real differentiator is your personal preference
Murali's aggregates are even better than Tendulkar's relative to others in their respective crafts. Tendulkar himself an enormous benchmark on that front. 6 wickets a match and fiver every 2nd test match for 133 tests is just mental, no matter what "holes" in the record exist. That's how I view it. Murali imo is the greatest bowler there has ever been.

smash84

The Tiger King
Murali's aggregates are even better than Tendulkar's relative to others in their respective crafts. Tendulkar himself an enormous benchmark on that front. 6 wickets a match and fiver every 2nd test match for 133 tests is just mental, no matter what "holes" in the record exist. That's how I view it. Murali imo is the greatest bowler there has ever been.
I generally rank great fast bowlers > great spinners. Murali is an interesting case because his consistency and sheer number of wickets is just incredible. However Murali's record against India and in Australia is definitely a mark against him and at such a high level (greatest ever) these "holes" will matter. It's still hard to rank Murali and SRT in the greatest SC cricketer. I might choose one of them one day and the other the next.