• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest cricketers from the subcontinent - how would you rank them?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
When does Pant start figuring into these SC XIs? His keeping has changed from atrocious to fairly low-profile and unremarkable, and he's turned more games already than any other SC keeper-batsman in history. Has to add serious value to any side.

subshakerz

International Coach
When does Pant start figuring into these SC XIs? His keeping has changed from atrocious to fairly low-profile and unremarkable, and he's turned more games already than any other SC keeper-batsman in history. Has to add serious value to any side.
I would just put Sanga instead of him. Same level keeping and much better bat. Gilchrist was world-class with both gloves and bat which made him so special.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar
Sachin
Imran
Akram
Murali
Kapil

6 elite ATGs. All good enough to be ranked among top 15 cricketers of alltime.
7th best Asian player will be at least 20 places below these guys.. Be it Waquar or Sanga or Miandad or Dravid.
Jeez stop the Gavaskar wanking.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Genuinely surprised how almost nobody has put Tendulkar as no.1.
As a cricketer? Not that surprising.
Top 10 bowler, decent bat, excellent captain/leader and all that. Far more valuable to the side than a guy who scored a lot of runs.

Last edited:

Johan

U19 12th Man
Sunil Gavaskar was one of the Greatest Batsmen of all time but whats not known is that he was also one of the greatest pacers of all time who was the spearhead of the Great indian attack from 1971 to 1979 , the only reason his statistics do not match up to the all time ATG bowler he was , is because he gave up being the attack leader and gave that role to Kapil Dev , he did this because he felt bad for the Batsmen he used to bully with his bowling.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
@JBMAC knows a bit more about wicketkeeping than anyone on this site and he really rates engineer from what i remember - i'm happy to defer to him on this one
Ranjit Fernando was also a keeper and he rates PJ as one of the best he had ever seen with the gloves.

Chrish

International Debutant
I am going over Gavaskar’s FC games on cricketarchive and every once in a while he pulls out “wow” inning out of nowhere against formidable pace attacks. He was a genius. Below is his last FC game. What a way to end the career!

5E373451-F806-45B1-87D7-B0DC71DEDDE9.png

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Subcontinent players all time XI (not specifically subcontinent conditions)

1) Gavaskar
2) Merchant
3) Dravid
4) Tendulkar
5) Miandad
6) Sangakkara
7) Imran/Kapil
8) Kapil/Imran
9) Akram
10) Waqar
11) Murali

subshakerz

International Coach
Subcontinent players all time XI (not specifically subcontinent conditions)

1) Gavaskar
2) Merchant
3) Dravid
4) Tendulkar
5) Miandad
6) Sangakkara
7) Imran/Kapil
8) Kapil/Imran
9) Akram
10) Waqar
11) Murali
Anwar or Sehwag over Merchant. And I think for a subcontinent XI you need a second spinner so likely Kumble, otherwise would go for a better pacers like Shoaib or Fazal. Kapil is not necessary given the pace options and Imran and Wasim batting all the way until 7 and 8.

BazBall21

Anwar or Sehwag over Merchant. And I think for a subcontinent XI you need a second spinner so likely Kumble, otherwise would go for a better pacers like Shoaib or Fazal. Kapil is not necessary given the pace options and Imran and Wasim batting all the way until 7 and 8.
Yeah I wanted Kapil in but I usually pick a second spinner. Chandra maybe as a slightly left field selection.

smash84

The Tiger King
Gavaskar
Sachin
Imran
Akram
Murali
Kapil

6 elite ATGs. All good enough to be ranked among top 15 cricketers of alltime.
7th best Asian player will be at least 20 places below these guys.. Be it Waquar or Sanga or Miandad or Dravid.
What? Imran above Akram. When did you start committing this sacrilege?

BazBall21

Lords is always appallingly slow. When it gets flat it’s almost the English Antigua. Occasionally a minefield on Day one.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid, Younis Khan, Shakib, Ashwin and 3 or 4 keepers unlucky, but I'd go:

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Miandad
Imran (c)
Kapil
Wasim Akram
Wasim Bari (wk)
Waqar/Gupte (conditions dependent)
Murali

In a few years I'd expect Bumrah to replace Kapil, then a superior batting keeper (possibly even Pant or Rizwan) will need to replace Bari.

Last edited: