• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

While I feel a lot of this article is excuses and basically whining, this is a very good point made by Stuart Broad.

Broad said:
"We spent day two of the Boxing Day Test match testing for Covid and having guys moving out of their hotel rooms, away from their families, so they were no longer classed as close contacts. When you are faffing about with external stuff like that, it drags your focus away from where it needs to be."
There should be some consideration given to how rough it must have been for them on day 2 at the MCG. There is no way any team would play to their normal level after something like that. Also why India in the Oval test were pretty great too.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having your arses handed to you by the Aussie bowling attack would be more mentally draining tbh. Nice to be able to take your mind off the shellacking with a bit of off field drama.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but it would still be mentally exhausting tbh
Yeah for sure, it certainly wasn't ideal. And I'm sure the last 2 years has been ****ing hard beyond imagination for this England team who have carried on regardless to keep the ECB coffers topped up.

But we all knew the writing was on the wall (batting wise at least) for this team way before Covid.

As abject as the English batting lineup has been, credit must go to the Aussie bowlers too.......they have been relentless and are world class outfit. I think the only chink in their armour is when they are put under real pressure, England are just not good enough to have been able to do that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As abject as the English batting lineup has been, credit must go to the Aussie bowlers too.......they have been relentless and are world class outfit. I think the only chink in their armour is when they are put under real pressure, England are just not good enough to have been able to do that.
It's actually worked to their benefit to have a couple of injuries/ unavailabilities. Even though you never want them, it's basically meant the bowlers have been dropped rotated and they're still fresh for the back end of the series.

Son Of Coco

Not much 'quality' about his anglophobic rants. If he launched a similar tirade about India he'd be barred.
They're English. They deserve both barrels. Especially given how they've disrespected our hospitality by coming over and playing like this. Although, to be fair, they've been on a rapid downhill slide (both in cricketing terms and as human beings) since the great quinoa and chickpea fiasco of 2013/14.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Every Andy Zaltzman cricket article deserves to be posted on CW. He is awesome.
I was just listening to a podcast that featured him last night (non-cricket - The Little Dum Dum Club) where he described discussing England's failures in this series as "like being forced to do an autopsy on your favourite dog".

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I was just listening to a podcast that featured him last night (non-cricket - The Little Dum Dum Club) where he described discussing England's failures in this series as "being forced to do an autopsy on your favourite dog".
I am increasingly of the view that there aren't many worse jobs for an English cricket fan than working as a commentator or journalist when they are playing a test series overseas. They would have to offer me a lot of money to watch every ball of this series.

Spark

Global Moderator
So Jonathan Liew, who is actually one of the best English legacy cricket journos, has suggested that the Ashes no longer be a Tests-only competition. In doing so he has given a perfect example today of why the legacy English cricket establishment and media is so worthy of contempt in my view.

Odd how when literally any other team is having a bad run, everyone and especially English cricket journos are the first to say "suck it up and get better, losers". But when England are doing badly, suddenly the game itself is fundamentally flawed and entire core structure of the international game needs a radical reconfiguration, and not coincidentally in a manner that would massively benefit England in the short term given their newfound white ball dominance. No one suggested that the Ashes becomes a multi-format series in 06-07, or 13-14, when such a change wouldn't have been so favourable to England. Or after Aus gets skittled at Trent Bridge. Nor did India raise the possibility after they got blanked 4-1 or 4-0 in England.

The sense of crass entitlement really is repulsive to me.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nor did India raise the possibility after they got blanked 4-1 or 4-0 in England.

TBF, we are the custodians of the Revenge ODI series already. England are just being dickheads about it, having journos say it out loud instead of using it for TV marketing like we do. :p