• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

• Total voters

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
So Jonathan Liew, who is actually one of the best English legacy cricket journos, has suggested that the Ashes no longer be a Tests-only competition. In doing so he has given a perfect example today of why the legacy English cricket establishment and media is so worthy of contempt in my view.

Odd how when literally any other team is having a bad run, everyone and especially English cricket journos are the first to say "suck it up and get better, losers". But when England are doing badly, suddenly the game itself is fundamentally flawed and entire core structure of the international game needs a radical reconfiguration, and not coincidentally in a manner that would massively benefit England in the short term given their newfound white ball dominance. No one suggested that the Ashes becomes a multi-format series in 06-07, or 13-14, when such a change wouldn't have been so favourable to England. Or after Aus gets skittled at Trent Bridge. Nor did India raise the possibility after they got blanked 4-1 or 4-0 in England.

The sense of crass entitlement really is repulsive to me.
I wouldn't hold up Liew as an example of the best of English cricket writers. He's at the level where if I see his name on an article that might otherwise have looked interesting, I'll not bother reading it. And one of the main reasons is because his stock article is pretty much Let's have a serious conversation regarding why Thing X [which may or may not be a problem at all] is a clear problem with the game and why [manifestly terrible] Suggestion Y needs to be adopted. So the article you refer to seems totally within his usual wheelhouse.

That's not to say that there isn't a lot of bad journalism surrounding the England cricket team, just that this struck me as an odd stick to beat English cricket with, because Liew makes terrible suggestions all the time and I don't think this particular one is representative of the England cricketing establishment.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't hold up Liew as an example of the best of English cricket writers. He's at the level where if I see his name on an article that might otherwise have looked interesting, I'll not bother reading it. And one of the main reasons is because his stock article is pretty much Let's have a serious conversation regarding why Thing X [which may or may not be a problem at all] is a clear problem with the game and why [manifestly terrible] Suggestion Y needs to be adopted. So the article you refer to seems totally within his usual wheelhouse.

That's not to say that there isn't a lot of bad journalism surrounding the England cricket team, just that this struck me as an odd stick to beat English cricket with, because Liew makes terrible suggestions all the time and I don't think this particular one is representative of the England cricketing establishment.
All true but he does also comes out with some great lines. The less serious he’s being the better his articles are.

Spark

Global Moderator

I mean, it's more a statement about the drivel that most of the others come out with as a negative (I see that at least one has called in all seriousness for the tour to be called off simply because England are bad, and meant it). But the broader sentiment is not an isolated one.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
they just beat new zealand away...why is it incomprehensible for england to lose at home against them?
I’ve used this analogy before and some say it’s heartless, but you know when you see those videos from American high schools and they give the basketball team mascot who is alternatively abled a run in a game at the end of the season cos they can’t make the finals and he surprises everyone by knocking down some three pointers with the whole crowd going nuts?

It made everyone feel good about themselves and the game, and that’s lovely and all, but the team still ain’t making the play offs.

That was Bangladesh winning this test.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sure i get that it's unlikely and i am not saying they will win a series in england in the foreseeable future but a bangladesh win in nz was just as unexpected and it happened...so it's not beyond the realm of possibility for them to sneak an away test win in england as well given the right circumstances, especially considering england's clear vulnerabilities in the red ball format...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Root and Anderson played, then quite frankly me and 8 mates could make up the rest of the team and we’d still win

ImpatientLime

International Regular
england would send them up to chester le street and the world would complain about MUH CHILLY WEATHER whilst anderson averages 4.97 v them in the sleet.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even if we'd lost this would no longer apply. We were outplayed and but for the weather there would have been another huge defeat, but they at least showed more balls than the bunch who **** themselves at the sight of Mitchell Johnson's muzzy.

Flem274*

123/5
If Root and Anderson played, then quite frankly me and 8 mates could make up the rest of the team and we’d still win
haha brother that's what we all thought before last week. Even lacking KW, us kiwi CW posters and some other clowns could join Conway and KJ and NZ would still send Bangbros on their way.

NZ rested 6 players against England in England and still crushed them, yet Bangbros took on a near full strength NZ and put in the best performance since Australia 2016 on our shores. Without Tamim and Shakib. As much as I try to find the secret fault in NZ, Bangladesh were just the better side on 4 of the 5 days. It was incredible.

If their quicks can access that level of performance again, they have an opportunity in England. They probably won't because Ebadot has since been put to the sword today, but they've got the talent now. Taskin Ahmed is a more impressive bowler in NZ than Chris Woakes ever was.