• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

Will this be England's worst ever 5-0 defeat in Australia?

• Total voters

Bijed

International Regular
It could well end up being worse in terms of how (non) competetive we are, but I can't see it hurting anywhere close to the other two. This tour is very much like the the previous 4-0 where we've gone in with no expectations and have been proven right to do so

Kirkut

International Regular
Arguably. The first 5-0 loss was against an ATG Aussie side and the second one was against Johnson bowling like peak Akhtar.

Not just England, no other team would have been spared from humiliation had they faced those Aussie sides.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't know about anyone else but I had this one nailed on for 5 zip before we got on the plane.

It won't be anywhere close to being as bad as the other two where we had a reasonable side and went into it with some expectations.

Dumb thread.

What's everyone having for Christmas lunch? I'm going to be smoking a beef brisket for approx 16 hrs. That's some serious drinking time.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of the BBC pundits were randomly predicting 2-2. This is possibly the worst England team since the 90s. Yep, you've got some quality players - Root and Anderson in particular. Stokes could be, but he's off the boil. But the rest of the line-up is from mediocre to awful. James Kirtley would be an improvement on some. Possibly even opening the batting instead of Rory Burns.

Gob

International Coach
Won't be five zip. Mark my words

I think Joe Root will atleast save a game once they get in to flatter wickets. There's a six day gap from this test to boxing day for Root to be well rested. His penis will be recuperated and in good shape too by then

Kirkut

International Regular
That 2013-2014 Ashes in Australia I don’t know how any 5-0 can top that. Johnson pretty much retired or sent like 4-5 of England’s top players home that series
94 mph pace, landing on short of good length and from a difficult angle by left arm fast bowler. No batsman no matter how great he is would be comfortable against that.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still think England get a result somewhere. Hobart conditions seem perfect for their attack and that'll be a dead rubber.

But in any case? This is nowhere near as catastrophic as 2013-14 or even 2006-07. It's admittedly perhaps not that fantastic of an Australian side, but was anyone really expecting much for England in this series? In 2013-14 I still think the average England fan would've expected to win.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's less unexpected than the other two. Especially 2013-14, which nobody saw coming. But it is set to be the worst performance, which I think is what cnerd was asking. The fact that most of us thought that 0-5 was a distinct possibility doesn't make the performance any better.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At some point, we may need to revisit the 'worse than the 90s' discussion. At the time, it was kind of written off as an over-reaction, but in 1994/95 and 1998/99 we did win a test when the series was alive, even if the Ashes weren't. Perhaps the next test will tell.
You put Atherton, Stewart and Russell in this side and it improves dramatically despite their ages.