• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Melbourne - December 26 - 30

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ftr, a **** greentop that is a batting lottery and finishes in 2 days isn't much better than a dustbowl with the same effect.

That's not at all what happened here though, pitch was excellent. Just very good bowling from both teams and terrible batting from England

Shady Slim

International Coach
I do wonder if Anderson secretly or not is a tad pissed about him not getting to captain England and as such is not helping Root with the captaincy as much as he could.
yeah it seems like anderson and to a lesser extent maybe also broad have next to no respect for root's authoritah as a captain

they're setting their own fields and mouthing off to the media about how nobody else in the team is supporting them, and when you've got guys in team sports on frolicks of their own like that you know it's because they think that they're untouchable. obviously with their experience you would give them a lot of autonomy in field setting but it's beyond that clearly

halba

International 12th Man
funnily enough, marcus harris was the best batsman from either team. averaged 76 in this test for his 1 innings.

that will ensure he will be persisted with as long as he doesnt fail too many times in the final 2 matches.

halba

International 12th Man
England weren’t wrong - some positive did come out of this.
their tour so goddamn bad they played the worst au batsman into some form.

its the tour from hell for the eng batsmen mainly. everyone averaging low 20s at best except for root and malan. the bowlers have been a pass, overall the bowlers have been fine.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
their tour so goddamn bad they played the worst au batsman into some form.

its the tour from hell for the eng batsmen mainly. everyone averaging low 20s at best except for root and malan. the bowlers have been a pass, overall the bowlers have been fine.
3 Aussie batsmen and a bowler are averaging 55+ and that's with Smith not making runs, wouldn't call the bowling a pass.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I got it wrong on Scott Boland

Thought he was not test class, thought he was too limited as a bowler, didn't think his Sheffield Shield performances would translate to the higher level

What he produced was brilliant, but pretty much the same as he has generally bowled over the last few Shield seasons. Yes the English by and large batted poorly. But to see the way he just settled in to his first class line and length and looked so good is an encouraging sign for this Australian team, a good advertisement for the Shield, but most of all clear evidence of a quality cricketer

Spark

Global Moderator
I got it wrong on Scott Boland

Thought he was not test class, thought he was too limited as a bowler, didn't think his Sheffield Shield performances would translate to the higher level

What he produced was brilliant, but pretty much the same as he has generally bowled over the last few Shield seasons. Yes the English by and large batted poorly. But to see the way he just settled in to his first class line and length and looked so good is an encouraging sign for this Australian team, a good advertisement for the Shield, but most of all clear evidence of a quality cricketer
I know people have complained about both but the move back to flatter wickets + the Duke rounds has been a very good thing for the Shield IMO, both in terms of the general quality of cricketers produced and variety across the season. I realise people were putting asterisks on some recent Shield records because of how flat the pitches have been (notably Green's FC average) but in general it makes for far more reliable Test cricketers than greentops which produce James Faulkners and no one who knows how to bat properly against real bowlers.

Heboric

International Debutant
When is Zim vs Ireland series starting, would be more of a sporting contest than this dog and pony show usually dregs up. Waiting for "its tradition, going for over 130 odd years" baloney

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As others have said, there’s no quick fix for England

However, there’s a case for sacking Silverwood mid series as this has been a shambles from the outset

Think I mentioned before lunch on Day 2 of the first test that it already had the tell tale signs of a thrashing and so it’s proven

Bijed

International Regular
There's nothing I can say about our performance that hasn't already been said/will be said a lot over the next day or so, but it would be wrong of me not to say well done Australia. We may have been worse than hopeless, but your bowling especially has been excellent

Spark

Global Moderator
3 Aussie batsmen and a bowler are averaging 55+ and that's with Smith not making runs, wouldn't call the bowling a pass.
I think "pass" is just about the right way to the describe the bowling tbh. It hasn't been amazing by any stretch - even yesterday, they only kept Australia down to a roughly par total - but it's hard to be harsh on the bowling unless you expect them to do all their own catching too.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I know people have complained about both but the move back to flatter wickets + the Duke rounds has been a very good thing for the Shield IMO, both in terms of the general quality of cricketers produced and variety across the season. I realise people were putting asterisks on some recent Shield records because of how flat the pitches have been (notably Green's FC average) but in general it makes for far more reliable Test cricketers than greentops which produce James Faulkners and no one who knows how to bat properly against real bowlers.
Yeah for all the **** talked about Shield roads, I have no problem as long as it is not every pitch. Proper bowlers will be able to make things happen, but not late Luke Feldman type hackfrauds

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah it seems like anderson and to a lesser extent maybe also broad have next to no respect for root's authoritah as a captain

they're setting their own fields and mouthing off to the media about how nobody else in the team is supporting them, and when you've got guys in team sports on frolicks of their own like that you know it's because they think that they're untouchable. obviously with their experience you would give them a lot of autonomy in field setting but it's beyond that clearly
Liking this purely for the Authoritaaaahh

Shri

Mr. Glass
Think I mentioned before lunch on Day 2 of the first test that it already had the tell tale signs of a thrashing and so it’s proven
first ball of the ashes was starc bowling burns around his legs

that set the tone way before anything