• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Melbourne - December 26 - 30

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Finally, the start time over here will be at the perfect time (6:30PM)

The Boxing day test is on Christmas evening...beautiful!

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
fwiw I'd play Bess, Robinson, Wood and Anderson from 8 to 11.
And I could make a case for playing Woakes at 7, dropping Pope and promoting Buttler to 6. No great difference in the runs scored, but more opportunity to use Robinson, Wood and Anderson in shorter bursts rather than bowl them into the ground.
If Robinson is fit to play then absolutely he should, but he seemed to be struggling in the last one. He might need resting which would be a shame, but better than breaking him bowling him into the dust. Wood surely comes back in. Woakes is currently England's 3rd highest run scorer in the series but can't take any wickets, playing him as a batting all-rounder instead of as a bowler almost makes sense, if mostly only as a damning indictment of our batting.

TheJediBrah

No reason Woakes can't bat 6. He's a lot better than they guy they have been batting 6.

Richarsdon will play for Aus instead of either Haze or Starc depending on fitness. Melbourne will be a road anyway so no big loss to take a game off as a bowler.

Neser has been exposed as ineffectual at Test level on anything other than a green-top, which we all sort of knew anyway

Spark

Global Moderator
"Exposed as ineffectual" is a bit harsh but yeah you got the feeling that Smith, for one, didn't quite rate him

OverratedSanity

What was the one draw? I dont even remember

Edit: Oh its that terrible cook double hundred match. fmd worst pitch ever?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I still really doubt Hazlewood will be fit for Melbourne tbh

If anything that worries me a bit less now that I have seen how well Richardson bowled in the 2nd innings though. He will definitely play if as I expect only Cummins returns for Boxing Day, maybe not if Haze is fit, but going forward it is good to know Richardson can be the force at Test level I thought he could be

morgieb

What was the one draw? I dont even remember

Edit: Oh its that terrible cook double hundred match. fmd worst pitch ever?
I think the worst pitch ever was that Mohali (?) match in 2012. That there wasn’t time for a 4th innings despite no rain and no scores over 400 was a farce. MCG 2017 was up there though.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That WACA deck against NZ where Ross Taylor made that 290 surely deserves a mention, Warner made a big double as well iirc

Mitch Johnson's last test, think he just decided he cbf anymore

TheJediBrah

That WACA deck against NZ where Ross Taylor made that 290 surely deserves a mention, Warner made a big double as well iirc

Mitch Johnson's last test, think he just decided he cbf anymore
Yeah horrendously flat pitch, but at least runs came easily on it and you could score at a good clip. I think Warner made 250 in a day on the same wicket.