• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Who was the real blow hard Yank on the coverage at the end sitting next to the Pommy bird? Christ he was awful, I didn't really catch it but could here the over-emphasis ON EVERY SINGLE WORD from the next room.
Max Kellerman?

Dude has his favorites. Fellates Andre Ward whenever he has the chance.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it was him, I was out of the room but could hear him carrying on like a pork chop. If it's the bloke I thought it was, he looks a bit like a smaller, waxed up cross between Ryan Gosling and Jake Gyllenhall. Was banging on about Wilder's "legacy" or something. it wasn't his point was completely stupid, more that he was crazy OTT.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well deserved win for Fury in the end but fmd I wanna see that count Fury took again.
The guardian was saying that Wilder was slow in getting to the neutral corner hence the long count. Would need to see a replay to know for sure.

Great fight up to round 6, and even after that Wilder did himself proud, was still landing shots in rounds 9 and 10 that were wobbling Fury. At the end of the day Fury just too big and too slick.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was him, I was out of the room but could hear him carrying on like a pork chop. If it's the bloke I thought it was, he looks a bit like a smaller, waxed up cross between Ryan Gosling and Jake Gyllenhall. Was banging on about Wilder's "legacy" or something. it wasn't his point was completely stupid, more that he was crazy OTT.
That’s him, haha this is such a perfect description.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wilder should retire as those beatings can’t be good for your health

He was basically out of it for most of the last 2 fights

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
the last 2 fights were nasty, Wilder definitely could’ve done with Mark Breland in his corner to throw in the towel after that 2nd knock down.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The guardian was saying that Wilder was slow in getting to the neutral corner hence the long count. Would need to see a replay to know for sure.
watching cell phone footage of the fight, this is exactly what happened. Wilder went to his own corner. The referee noticed at the count of 5 and paused the count until Wilder moved to the neutral corner. I think Fury would’ve made it comfortably and with the round essentially over by the time of the knock down, I don’t think it affected the result, but still a bad mistake by Wilder to give Fury precious seconds in that situation.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wilder should retire as those beatings can’t be good for your health

He was basically out of it for most of the last 2 fights
Never a good sign when you see blood coming from his ear, hope he is advised to retire but knowing boxers he will carry on thinking he can fight Joshua in a big money fight.

Niall

International Coach
Never a good sign when you see blood coming from his ear, hope he is advised to retire but knowing boxers he will carry on thinking he can fight Joshua in a big money fight.
Would Joshua want that fight though?

Its all well and good pointing out that Wilder isn't the most sophisticated boxer, but as you seen last night he can still hit ferociously.

I think if I was Joshua will go for Usyk next and maybe that falls through, Whyte.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
twice now that that’s happened. Wilder’s defence is so bad, ducks his head and drops his hands everytime he can’t take many more fights like this without risking his life.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also worth remembering that Fury isn’t regarded as being a big puncher
He's locked in for a rematch with Usyk, isn't he?

Hard to see a different outcome, but it's definitely his next fight.
Joshua exercised rematch clause a couple of days ago

Think that Whyte is Fury’s mandatory but Tyson said he wants a long break so he may well end up ditching the WBC and waiting on Joshua

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also worth remembering that Fury isn’t regarded as being a big puncher
Yeah but since moving to the Kronk gym and getting Javon Sugar Hill involved I would suspect he's learned how to maximise his size and weight and really putting power into his punches.

His straight right in particular used to be kinda a winging punch with no weight behind it, but now it's got that Klitchsko-esque straight path to its destination.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Fury's fighting style has been so different in these last two matches, I don't think you can rely on the old pillow-gloves reputation. Will be interesting to see whether he continues to fight this way v Usyk/Joshua, or whether his greater size advantage and their greater technical and defensive aptitude will see him revert to a more cautious approach.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Fury's fighting style has been so different in these last two matches, I don't think you can rely on the old pillow-gloves reputation. Will be interesting to see whether he continues to fight this way v Usyk/Joshua, or whether his greater size advantage and their greater technical and defensive aptitude will see him revert to a more cautious approach.
vs Usyk he should use that Kronk style of maximising the size advantages (although he will need to be much lighter than tonight because Usyk would make him work much harder than Wilder did). vs Joshua he could try to outbox him.

I really would love to see him fight Usyk and wish there was a way it could happen in the next year.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I could see it happening next July/August if Usyk defends his title v AJ. I don't think there'll be much interest in a Fury v Joshua fight if Joshua's lost 3 of his past 5 fights. Having said that the UK market is kinda crazy so who knows.

Feel for Wilder, I don't see him ever getting another shot at the title now, the risk:reward ratio for him is just all wrong for the guys in the top 5, and at 35 I don't think he really has the time to take the long road back.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I could see it happening next July/August if Usyk defends his title v AJ. I don't think there'll be much interest in a Fury v Joshua fight if Joshua's lost 3 of his past 5 fights. Having said that the UK market is kinda crazy so who knows.
I personally don't think Fury will make the Usyk fight.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno, nobody would’ve picked Fury to come straight out of retirement and challenge Wilder. Usyk obviously a very different kind of challenge, but I don’t think Fury would duck him (though it could easily get dragged out to 2023). He’d obviously be more keen for a $150 million mega-fight with Joshua, but the only way that’s happening now is if Joshua wins the rematch.