• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rough outside the left handers offstump was insane, no way should Pant have scored that nuch.
He created a fair few chances out there tbh. There was one over where he played and missed at three in a row. A few top edges as well. I really don't want to emphasize it though, because that would detract from Pant's knock, which was awesome. he had no more luck than what anyone really needs to get through a day five.

Daemon

He created a fair few chances out there tbh. There was one over where he played and missed at three in a row. A few top edges as well. I really don't want to emphasize it though, because that would detract from Pant's knock, which was awesome. he had no more luck than what anyone really needs to get through a day five.
He was incredibly jammy tbf. I was ****ting myself every time he swiped at Lyon.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Starc was bowling serious heat even when he was bowling poorly. Cummins and Haze were also actually bowling quicker than in the previous games. They did look visibly tired though.
Really? Yesterday, most of his deliveries that I saw were around the 140-142 mark, with not a few dropping into the 130s. He may have been higher in the final session but I didn't see the second half of it.

Daemon

Really? Yesterday, most of his deliveries that I saw were around the 140-142 mark, with not a few dropping into the 130s. He may have been higher in the final session but I didn't see the second half of it.
In the first innings he was getting angry and bowling 145-150 to the tail

Chrish

International Debutant
This might be an unpopular opinion but I reckon India won this series BECAUSE they were Team C. There was no pressure of expectations on them. Everyone expected them to get thrashed..

It’s sort of like how Australia came very close to winning a series in India in 2016-17.. Australia were expected to get mopped 4-0.

Sometimes being an underdog is a good thing. If India had their full strength squad (ie. first game), final result might not have been in India’s favor.

Last edited:

Chrish

International Debutant
Still it wasn’t without major players; Kohli, Bhumrah, Ashwin all were there.

If Kohli was here, he would gotten on Pujara’s ass about lack of intent. He would have gone for the chase in third game which most likely would have resulted in India loosing.

Aus probably underestimated Indian newcomers in last game; they would have no clue about Sundar or Shardul. The partnership between these two was the deciding factor in last game.

I personally think these factors played in India’s favor. Full-strange squad would be under immense pressure to win the series to prove that last win wasn’t a fluke.

Of course too many ifs and hypotheticals.,

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
In the first innings he was getting angry and bowling 145-150 to the tail
Unfortunately, no commentary has the speeds so it is impossible to check, but I'm not sure that was the case, particularly as I did see most of that innings. Furthermore, that does not cover the rest of the match.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's now an empty whole in my life where this test match was.
Yes

this australian team has no good players in batting. half the batting lineup is average. i disagree.
No

Unpopular take
Pujara’s innings was awful and nothing to do with strike rate
It was a text book example of how not to play short pitched bowling
His innings laid the foundation for the win but it was down to luck not management
No

The replacements played really well, and you could argue they benefitted from being fresh and were actually a stronger batting unit down to 8,
No

1.2 billion people for whom cricket is a religion and a very lucrative career
No

Sure make that cheating fellow the captain and let them play more angrily and in unsportsmanlike ways.. I dont support it. They need a changeover. When Brazil was smacked in the world cup, it was a time for reflection in the moment of crisis.
No

The most alpha moment of the test was when one ball after Lyon landed one in the crack and it spun 2 metres, Pant said **** it and ran down to deposit one for six. It was really ****ing stupid but holy ****.
Yes

This might be an unpopular opinion but I reckon India won this series BECAUSE they were Team C. There was no pressure of expectations on them. Everyone expected them to get thrashed..

It’s sort of like how Australia came very close to winning a series in India in 2016-17.. Australia were expected to get mopped 4-0.

Sometimes being an underdog is a good thing. If India had their full strength squad (ie. first game), final result might not have been in India’s favor.
No

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo used to have a speed radar feature on some certain match pages, shame that disappeared.

Think I can recall the ICC having something like that for the WT20 qualifiers also

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Pat Cummins seems too nice of a bloke to be a captain. Always smiling and never really having words with the opposition (at least I haven’t seen).

In order to be a captain, you do need to be ruthless and have bit of a dickishnesss in you. I would lean toward grooming Marnus
Not really. I always thought Mark Taylor was the best Aussue captain I have seen and I dont remember him ever being a dick.

Spark

Global Moderator
You do have to be ruthless to be a good cricket side.

That means that, if you're near or just after a milestone when batting, you don't lose concentration and throw your wicket away. That means that if you're 2/190 or 3/230, you actually put up that 400+ score that gets you on the glideslope to winning in Aus conditions. That means that, when you have a side 5-down or 6-down, you finish the job and secure that victory or first innings lead.

This team could do with a lot more ruthlessness. The fact that they act out when put under pressure instead of playing better cricket is the opposite of ruthless, really.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really. I always thought Mark Taylor was the best Aussue captain I have seen and I dont remember him ever being a dick.
Wouldn't buy a Fujitsu air conditioner for everyone in his teams, dick

Seriously though I wouldn't remotely want either either Cummins or Labuschagne as captains, and both for the exact same reason, they haven't got captaincy experience at domestic level

sunilz

International Regular
you say that and so have others but Cummins went for 55/4 in the last innings of the fourth test. I don’t think you can reasonably claim that if Australia had lost their top six bowlers, that the replacements would have bowled better than Cummins and Hazlewood. They both ended with averages of less than 20 for the series ffs! So Claiming that having their top choice pace attack was somehow hampering them is pretty clearly wrong. Unless you have a couple of McGraths waiting in the wings in FC cricket. It was their batting in the first innings that let them down. And Nathan Lyon. Not the fast bowlers.
Starc + Lyon have been very poor .
In a 4 man attack , you can't have 2 players undoing all the good work of other 2.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yes, usually this element of luck goes to Aussied when it matters in Australia. But it was weird to see it favor India this time for a pleasant change.

Lyon was so pathetic that he didn't use the rough from the beginning, instead bowling a meter outside off to Pant. Allowed him to settle and flourish.