• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The only reason the Australians seem better behaved these days is because of the backlash their own press generates at their slightest transgressions. Take that element away and you'll see how quickly they return to all the old ways.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Think all of Pratters' and HB's winding points could be much better encapsulated through this:
Yeah its more petulant than nasty. Like that of a spoilt 10 Yr old who is always let to win at home by parents but gets beaten one day at school and makes a hue and cry about it.

Its basically borne out of a sense of entitlement. That teams turning up in Aus should automatically bow and die. They were spoilt by likes of NZ, Pak and SL and suddenly when the real big boys turned up, could not digest they were not really as good as they thought they are.

Lyon was a classic example. With the nicknames like GOAT it seems to have gone into his mind that he is very special and then lost his marbles when Ashwin turned up and outbowled him by a long margin. The worst was when Sundar, a t20 guy, also turned up and outbowled him, and then outbatted him. Hence the throw.

Petulant.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think all of Pratters' and HB's winding points could be much better encapsulated through this:
Accepting the prospect of oncoming defeat graciously doesn't make it less likely to happen.

I tend to just not read long HB quote wars so I won't comment on what he said, but Pratters at points certainly seemed to stray from suggesting they were ****s (which is fine) to suggesting they should focus on being less ****y if they want to win more (which is dumb overarching narrative bull**** that belongs in hack journalism, not CW).

If a team does something you don't like, and then they lose... it's not necessarily because of the thing you don't like. Australia lost the series because at various points the batting, bowling, catching and planning were all poor. It really had nothing to do with Paine making an arse of himself with crap sledges. I believe those who think it did really just want that to be the reason so they can push their usual barrows. It's a total zzzz.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I think need of the hour for Aus is to move on from established cliches about being Aussie and all.

They have a good role model in Cummins. The dude hardly swears or postures, yet everytime he has the ball, the opposition are shaking in their boots. That's the best possible intimidation, where you let your performances do the talking.

Take Bumrah for another example.

Like everything, cricket also needs to change in line with changing times and sensibilities. All this macho wacho and all crap needs to be shown the door and just go there and do your stuff.

So proud that India has exemplified this. When they lost all their best players, they did not start crying or making excuses. I remember Aussie media were making a lot of noise when India bowled a few bouncers during the practise matches and how it was unsportsmanlike etc. When their own were hurt by Aussie pacers, they did not make any excuses and went on to work with the remaining.

Even when there was a public witch hunting by Aussie politicians and media about them in regards to quarantine, without actually giving them an opportunity to clarify their stance, India did not lose its cool.

Or take that shameful racism episode. Normally teams use that as a plank to have a go at Australia. But once India made its point, they moved on and started concentrating on cricket.

And then they showed who were the real men where it matters, on the pitch. Not even one incident of bad behaviour or lack of sportsmanspirit on their part.

This despite all the challenges which were thrown their way. Siraj lost his father, faced racism and yet channelized all that rightful angst and pain into a series winning performance, for example.

So damn proud.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Accepting the prospect of oncoming defeat graciously doesn't make it less likely to happen.
Yeah, but I thought we were talking about some of their behaviour which comes up when they think they're losing/on the backfoot

I don't think it's wrong or dirty or the cause of their problems or anything like that.

Last edited:

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think need of the hour for Aus is to move on from established cliches about being Aussie and all.

They have a good role model in Cummins. The dude hardly swears or postures, yet everytime he has the ball, the opposition are shaking in their boots. That's the best possible intimidation, where you let your performances do the talking.

Take Bumrah for another example.

Like everything, cricket also needs to change in line with changing times and sensibilities. All this macho wacho and all crap needs to be shown the door and just go there and do your stuff.

So proud that India has exemplified this. When they lost all their best players, they did not start crying or making excuses. I remember Aussie media were making a lot of noise when India bowled a few bouncers during the practise matches and how it was unsportsmanlike etc. When their own were hurt by Aussie pacers, they did not make any excuses and went on to work with the remaining.

Even when there was a public witch hunting by Aussie politicians and media about them in regards to quarantine, without actually giving them an opportunity to clarify their stance, India did not lose its cool.

Or take that shameful racism episode. Normally teams use that as a plank to have a go at Australia. But once India made its point, they moved on and started concentrating on cricket.

And then they showed who were the real men where it matters, on the pitch. Not even one incident of bad behaviour or lack of sportsmanspirit on their part.

This despite all the challenges which were thrown their way. Siraj lost his father, faced racism and yet channelized all that rightful angst and pain into a series winning performance, for example.

So damn proud.
Saving this quote for the next series

jcas0167

International Debutant
Wouldn't buy a Fujitsu air conditioner for everyone in his teams, dick

Seriously though I wouldn't remotely want either either Cummins or Labuschagne as captains, and both for the exact same reason, they haven't got captaincy experience at domestic level
John Bracewell was saying during commentary for the NZ v Pak series that selector Glenn Turner opposed Vettori being NZ captain for that reason. Though often these guys simply won't have a chance to captain domestically because they play so much international cricket. I don't think Fleming captained at domestic level before becoming test captain either, although he did captain at under 19 level.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
The only reason the Australians seem better behaved these days is because of the backlash their own press generates at their slightest transgressions. Take that element away and you'll see how quickly they return to all the old ways.
IPL monies is the reason behind that I think, Ponting's team were called a pack of dogs by the Aussie press but that never stopped him or his team.

Ashwin's tweet after the win at Gabba was pretty crass, not sure he too would be doing that if he had a BBL contract to worry about.