• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at the Gabba, Brisbane, 15 - 19 Jan 2021

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sure make that cheating fellow the captain and let them play more angrily and in unsportsmanlike ways.. I dont support it. They need a changeover. When Brazil was smacked in the world cup, it was a time for reflection in the moment of crisis.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sure make that cheating fellow the captain and let them play more angrily and in unsportsmanlike ways.. I dont support it. They need a changeover. When Brazil was smacked in the world cup, it was a time for reflection in the moment of crisis.
bouncers are not "angry cricket"

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah it was all of them, but mostly led by the writers' stable of the Sun and Daily Mail.

If Pratters wants to use those publications as his moral beacons then that's on him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why does Australia always make a batsman captain.. how about Cummins or Hazelwood.. I wouldnt go back to Smith and I see this as the same team as during the SA series despite Lehmann going. Making an amazon documentary doesnt change the team and they do need a change moving forward.

Spark

Global Moderator
As it was just a mindless barrage of short balls after a point. Didnt really work.
but you're basically calling them dirty cheats for doing it - to set top order batsmen, i might add, not tailenders. gonna need a bit more than "it didn't really work" to back that up.

at this point the logical conclusion to what you're saying is that any sustained spell of short pitched bowling is basically dirty cricket. is that really what you're saying?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
but you're basically calling them dirty cheats for doing it - to set top order batsmen, i might add, not tailenders. gonna need a bit more than "it didn't really work" to back that up.

at this point the logical conclusion to what you're saying is that any sustained spell of short pitched bowling is basically dirty cricket. is that really what you're saying?
No. the whole attitude is just over macho bully boys. It worked earlier but bullying doesnt work any more. Take the paine sledge to ashwin.. all it did was spur india even more. Bullying worked v Srinath but beyond a point it is just stupid.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Nothing more humiliating than being beaten by India b at home though. Aus are just less than sum of their parts for some reason. Having 3 top 10 batsmen and 2 top 10 bowlers in the world(including the No1 bowler and batsman) in a team shouldn't be losing like this.
No pride?
Players too individualistic now?

Spark

Global Moderator
No. the whole attitude is just over macho bully boys. It worked earlier but bullying doesnt work any more. Take the paine sledge to ashwin.. all it did was spur india even more. Bullying worked v Srinath but beyond a point it is just stupid.
okay i am going to be blunt: this is offensively stupid. they are more than entitled to bowl some bouncers if they think it'll be an effective wicket taking tactic, especially on a flat pitch and especially to set batsmen. that doesn't make them "bullies", that makes them fast bowlers doing things that fast bowlers were entitled to do.

the paine sledge to ashwin was ATG-tier Bad but that has absolutely nothing to do with the bouncers today and the "smith was removing pant's guard" conspiracy theory. that's you trying to craft a grand narrative where none exists.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Nah despite the injuries caused by short pitched bowling (Its test cricket ffs), this series was largely Kumbaya till India sneaked one on Aus with the MCG win. Aus I think clearly underestimated Ind there.

Come SCG and Aussies were back to the much more familiar Heels mode. Even Paine resorting to laughable jibes and Marnus trying hard to act like a 15 Yr old.

For me the real heel turn came this last test when Lyon launched one aimed at Sundar's head after fielding in follow through. There was no apology or even a pretension of false concern ala Brett Lee. And at that moment i knew this was true blue test.cricket in Australia. Hazelwood constantly staring at Pujara like an Indian boomer looking at a modern dressed girl on the street, and chiming in what only he could hear was nice to see as well.

Finally some real edge and these only added to the feeling of this being an unbekivably hard fought win.