• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I never got the hype over Pattinson either. Yes, maybe, when he was very young, but he's looked distinctly first-change at best in every one of his comebacks since.

In any case, Lyon's more liable to cause us headaches on a consistent basis than the seamers.

Flem274*

123/5
with shady and bambino here. pattinson's trading on what he was ten years ago, and county wickets don't count lol.

nowadays he's 138kph outswing which is fine. he's still got the tools to be a test bowler but starc has been comfortably outbowling him. pattinson's bowling "unlucky" length, getting plays and misses instead of edges because he's not quite full enough.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
with shady and bambino here. pattinson's trading on what he was ten years ago, and county wickets don't count lol.

nowadays he's 138kph outswing which is fine. he's still got the tools to be a test bowler but starc has been comfortably outbowling him. pattinson's bowling "unlucky" length, getting plays and misses instead of edges because he's not quite full enough.
Pretty much this. Starc is better than Pattinson these days but Pattinson is by no means a spent force, still have him a good level above the Neser/Abbott/x form Shield bowler tier

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
My takeaway from Pattinson's last stint in Tests in that he wasn't quite accurate enough for what he had become with his slight reduction in average pace (at least in terms of being better than Starc; he's still a gun).

I absolutely do not have strong feelings on it though. If Starc was dropped for Patto then meh. Got depth, use it, I suppose. That decision is well within the bounds of what I consider too close to jump up and down criticising. Much more important selection decisions to focus on than which of your four world class quicks doesn't play.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I never got the hype over Pattinson either. Yes, maybe, when he was very young, but he's looked distinctly first-change at best in every one of his comebacks since.

In any case, Lyon's more liable to cause us headaches on a consistent basis than the seamers.
if Haze bowls anything like he did in England it’ll be a nightmare

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ehhhhhh fair enough.

Either way it's a good sign that this debate is even a thing, nice to have pace options
Yeah pace options often descend into "picking the blokes we rate who are fit this week" pretty quickly, which does make having options great, because if you don't have them you end up with blokes you don't rate playing instead.

I think it's pretty obvious (in Australian conditions at least) who the best four quicks are, and Cummins aside who is a bit special I'm happy to pick them based on form and fitness, and even happy to just disagree with the selectors on the day and move on. If Haze was dropped for Neser (who I rate highly, don't get me wrong) in Australia, then that would be something to complain about.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Pattinson is no longer a 150+ bowler, which he was as recently as 2017. He's still excellent but having lost 10 kms after his back surgery he's now top notch bench strength rather than first picked when fit.

That stretch of bowling before his back surgery was ridiculous. He was attacking and took a lot of wickets through bowled and lbw, including demolishing some really good shield attacks at the time.

It's a shame his back was so dodgy.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Let's hope he doesn't run out of tape ;)

But there other intricacies that only Smith can see and feel, such as the need to tape his boot laces beneath the bottom flaps of his pads so they aren't in his eyeline when he looks down that the crease in his batting stance.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let's hope he doesn't run out of tape ;)

But there other intricacies that only Smith can see and feel, such as the need to tape his boot laces beneath the bottom flaps of his pads so they aren't in his eyeline when he looks down that the crease in his batting stance.
lol he's so odd

aussie tragic

International Captain
So the good news is that the last time India toured Australia, the followng was the main 1-6 batting line up

Finch
Harris
Khawaja
S. Marsh
Head
Handscomb/M. Marsh

The batting order will now be completely different with Warner, Smith and Labuschagne obviously being a class above all of the previous.

However the sobering thought is that the bowlers are exactly the same (and bowlers win matches don't they?)

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
So the good news is that the last time India toured Australia, the followng was the main 1-6 batting line up

Finch
Harris
Khawaja
S. Marsh
Head
Handscomb/M. Marsh

The batting order will now be completely different with Warner, Smith and Labuschagne obviously being a class above all of the previous.

However the sobering thought is that the bowlers are exactly the same (and bowlers win matches don't they?)
To be fair, the bowlers have a years worth of experience playing as a unit together over last time, and starc seems to not be spraying the ball all over the place in test (probably jinxed it.) So wouldn't say bowlers are "exactly the same."

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, the effect of a good batting side on the bowling can never really be underestimated. Even the greatest bowlers can't keep doing the job day in and day out, if your batsmen keep letting you down. Which is why I think historically, we have to be kinder while rating bowlers who had to play for teams with **** batting line ups.