• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
When was the last time Warner was owned in Aus?

Just doesn’t happen, he will take India apart at least once in the series.
If he goes big just once in a series of 4 matches,that should count as a failure.Averaging anything less than 45 in a home series nowadays is a failure.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Concerned with starc especially going into this series tbh, he's reverted to spraying the ball all over the place in the shield cricket he played this year.
There's a pink ball test this time,Starc is a rich man's Malcolm Marshall with the pink ball.
He will inflate his series average by performing in the first test after which he will be smashed all over the park.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah Australia's attack looked strangely pedestrian last time and considering India batted first in all but one of the tests, I don't think it was all down to the bowlers having to fight uphill after australia collapsed to 100 allout. They werent able to stop India from putting up big totals.

Tough to see not just a repeat from Australia's bowlers but also Pujara (who was really the only Indian batsman I'd say had a great series) doing anything like that again.
Yeah Australia's bowling got worn down quite hard in that series. Though it was really only the last Test where India really took advantage and that I think was down to mental fatigue by that point. That said, unless Pujara dominates again it'll be hard for India to grind down Australia's attack like they did last time.

Hazlewood was just coming back from injury yeah. But I don't think that explains the whole story. He does seem to be more in nick now though.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Yeah Australia's bowling got worn down quite hard in that series. Though it was really only the last Test where India really took advantage and that I think was down to mental fatigue by that point.
I don't think it was that. The first time I really thought Australia's bowling looked poor was during the second test, and that was the one we won. They looked uninterested and like they were bowling without any actual plan of attack.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do think the Aussie bowlers in that series looked bereft of ideas on a few occasions but it's hard to understate how important winning those tosses in Sydney and Melbourne were for India (or maybe Paine sent them in on one occasion stupidly). Those tracks were absolute belters.

And let's also not forget that Cummins took 9/99 at Melbourne (It was the other 3 that let Australia down).

But how anyone could say that it wasn't entirely the fault of Australia's batting is beyond me. Marcus Harris ffs was Australia's top scorer. India scored 5 centuries to Australia's 0. The top 3 run scorers were Indian. The top 4 batsmen by batting average for the series were Indian. No Australian batsmen averaged over 40 for the series.

Ffs, you don't win test series when your batsmen all average under 40, don't score a single hundred and get bundled out in two sessions on a road. By contrast, even after getting pummeled around, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon all averaged under 35 with the ball, and Cummins under 28. That would be good enough to win some of the time at least.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah just reassuring that where going into this series with 5, potentially 6 batsmen in the lineup who average 40 in test/45 in first class and not 1.

OverratedSanity

I do think the Aussie bowlers in that series looked bereft of ideas on a few occasions but it's hard to understate how important winning those tosses in Sydney and Melbourne were for India (or maybe Paine sent them in on one occasion stupidly). Those tracks were absolute belters.

And let's also not forget that Cummins took 9/99 at Melbourne (It was the other 3 that let Australia down).

But how anyone could say that it wasn't entirely the fault of Australia's batting is beyond me. Marcus Harris ffs was Australia's top scorer. India scored 5 centuries to Australia's 0. The top 3 run scorers were Indian. The top 4 batsmen by batting average for the series were Indian. No Australian batsmen averaged over 40 for the series.

Ffs, you don't win test series when your batsmen all average under 40, don't score a single hundred and get bundled out in two sessions on a road. By contrast, even after getting pummeled around, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon all averaged under 35 with the ball, and Cummins under 28. That would be good enough to win some of the time at least.
I guess with Australia whenever their bowling underperforms a little bit it gets unfairly slated because the batting being bad is not something that is wholly uncommon. They were seriously disappointing but obviously not the reason they lost.

morgieb

Given Perth's been ignored (who have been by far the most anal about border restrictions) I feel like we might be OK. This Adelaide cluster doesn't seem like one that will be too harmful long-term. At least, I hope not.

Shri

Mr. Glass
based on where rohit is in his career right now and how easy he makes batting look atm, i'll play him at 4 when kohli leaves and make him captain

underrated tactician who's massive calls so far off the top of my head includes the slower ball yorker plan to marsh before lunch in the last tour and keeping dk back in the nidahas trophy

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Given Perth's been ignored (who have been by far the most anal about border restrictions) I feel like we might be OK. This Adelaide cluster doesn't seem like one that will be too harmful long-term. At least, I hope not.
Nah, its very tough to get everyone to accept to go and play at a venue where there is a very recent outbreak. Even if the players stay in a bubble, the ground staff etc may not be able to. Unless CA decides to pay for EVERYONE involved with the game to stay inside that hotel and also conduct a few tests and ensure none of them have had possible exposure to the outbreak before hand. Sounds like too much expense for too little payoff for me. If they already have arrangements in Sydney and Canberra, then the simpler and safer measure is to play all the games in those venues. And right now, the safer measure is the best measure.

Kirkut

International Regular
Bumrah getting 20 wickets this series.......yes you head it here!

I won't mind losing this series but want to watch our bowlers making batters hop!

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
My prediction is Australia won't do so well against India's spinners as some here are saying. They may not scythe through our side, and we'll have Smith back, but I don't think we played them particularly well at various points in the previous series.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
based on where rohit is in his career right now and how easy he makes batting look atm, i'll play him at 4 when kohli leaves and make him captain

underrated tactician who's massive calls so far off the top of my head includes the slower ball yorker plan to marsh before lunch in the last tour and keeping dk back in the nidahas trophy
Keeping Dk back in the Nidahas trophy was a stupid move. He won the match with a last ball six whole credit goes to him.