• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Starc has 150 wickets in home Tests at an average of 25 and taking five per match. He's taken 46 poles at 21 since the start of 2019. He bowls 150km/h with his left arm.

He starts.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think there's a tendency underrate Starc because his stats often seem to flatter him (with the 10-fer vs SL and the second new ball meme) and to overcorrect for the perception that Joe Public think he's Malcolm-meets-Wasim because 150km/h left armer, while simultaneously overrating the depth quicks because context-scrutiny of records isn't really a thing in Shield cricket.

Taken together, it ends up with IMO pretty inaccurate takes that Man In Form Depth Quick is Clearly Better and Must Be Picked the moment Starc doesn't rip through like it's MJ 13/14. If you subbed in a fit Pattinson over the last few years, I don't think the difference in results from what we've seen out of Starc would be particularly different.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Pattinson. He should play ahead of Starc. Starc comes in when pattinson breaks after two matches and then pattinson comes in after Starc breaks... So on an so forth
How about we just pick the guy who doesn’t break down, is quicker, gives you variety with his left arm angle and is a better bowler in the first place?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pattinson was a better bowler than Starc 3 years ago. I'm not sure that he is now after his recovery from surgery. He is, however, the best quick in the world who can't get a game for their country.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good to know. The whole air lift in and out thing sounded so rough on all involved though. I mean, imagine playing a test match where you literally dropped off at the ground the night before the game and are lifted off again the same night the game is done. These are such strange times.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah starc currently is a better bowler then JPAT, even if they where neck and neck starc's left arm angle diversifies our attack a ton..

the big bambino

International Captain
Pattinson was a better bowler than Starc 3 years ago. I'm not sure that he is now after his recovery from surgery. He is, however, the best quick in the world who can't get a game for their country.
You know he never was really. Ok maybe to begin with when Pattinson blitzed some soft sides in helpful conditions. But then in every way, not the least fitness, Starc is clearly better. The overrating of Pattinson is legendary here and a weird counter to the constant trolling of Starc.

Shri

Mr. Glass
i don't care what kohli puts out as his xi for the first test after entering everyone's name in the random lineup generator

i am looking forward to rohit being captain when he leaves and him playing at #4

sans koach xi:

Agarwal
Shaw/Rahul
Pujara
Rohit
Vihari
Saha
Jadeja
Ashwin
Shami
Ishant
Bumrah

four fast bowlers is overkill so we have to either strengthen the batting by dropping one of the spinners for Rahane or play two spinners imo

Pant should play if Saha gets injured

stephen

You know he never was really. Ok maybe to begin with when Pattinson blitzed some soft sides in helpful conditions. But then in every way, not the least fitness, Starc is clearly better. The overrating of Pattinson is legendary here and a weird counter to the constant trolling of Starc.
Nah Pattinson was genuinely frightening before his back surgery. He went through a shield and county season taking wickets at an average of 12 for about a year.

Starfighter

Wrong. Pattinson until his latest back injury was always clearly the better red ball bowler.

Shady Slim

International Coach
bambino right on this one and i'm no super duper fan of starc either

regardless though i honestly feel this series might be a walkover and i know it'll come back to bite me

the big bambino

International Captain
Wrong. Pattinson until his latest back injury was always clearly the better red ball bowler.
Yeah this is simply barracking.

I don't really care if Pattinson had a good run in country cricket that one time. A lot have. Pattinson had intimidation and once the accumulation of injuries wore that away then Starc established himself over him and he's been clearly better for a number of years now and at least comparable before then.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I have always been a Patto fan, but sadly I do have to come to the conclusion that he isn't quite the bowler he once was. You can argue on for how long that has been the case, but that is splitting hairs really, Starc is definitely my preferred option in the direct future

just on this, starc still doesn't make my side for england but that's because neser gets the spot instead and not patto
Not so sure about that one champ