• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair point. This is particularly so since test series became more compressed over the past few decades. An Ashes tour to England in the old days would have a fortnight or more between tests - in 89 Alderman was known as TMO among the touring party - Test Matches Only

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Even as late as the 1996 tour to England by India had like 20 FC games between 5 tests or something. It was amazing. We had Vikram Rathore who was the opposite of Trueman, I guess. He was FCO in that he could not get the ball off the square in the tests but made 100s galore in the FC games. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I remember what Srikkanth said in an event about the 83 WC win recently. He got married just before the WC it seems and Gavaskar advised him that he can do his honeymoon to the US from London after the WC as the tickets are far cheaper from London, and BCCI pays for his to and fro flights upto London anways, and since they did not expect to be around beyond the league phase, he booked his ticket during the KO phases and had to lose money on those tickets. :laugh:

He was even asking Kapil to reimburse him for that loss that day.

Burgey

I remember what Srikkanth said in an event about the 83 WC win recently. He got married just before the WC it seems and Gavaskar advised him that he can do his honeymoon to the US from London after the WC as the tickets are far cheaper from London, and BCCI pays for his to and fro flights upto London anways, and since they did not expect to be around beyond the league phase, he booked his ticket during the KO phases and had to lose money on those tickets. :laugh:

He was even asking Kapil to reimburse him for that loss that day.
genuinely one of the funniest oddball cricket stories I’ve read in ages

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I will try to find the video on YouTube and link here. Cheeka is a hilarious character in an oddball goofy way than the Trump way. And I think a lot of teams needs characters like that.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I dreamed of Bumrah bowling to Warner and Smith last night, and they both got after him. Warner even hit him over long-on for a couple of sixes. :wacko:

He did get Burns cramped and caught at some kind of flying leg slip though.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It can't be overstated how impactful having a whole day in the dressing room will have on the bowlers this time around.

Like even our weakest batsman, Burns, I'd back more than either of the openers we had last time. Labuschagne and Smith would each make double the runs of Marsh and Khawaja combined. Head is getting better as a batsman.

17/18 India was a series that relied on a once in a generation terrible Australian batting side. This batting side is way stronger.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
This idea that it was the Australian batsmen who let our bowlers down is just an excuse for the bowlers not based in what actually happened.

As I said before, the first time our bowlers appear planless and uninterested was at Perth, where we (a) won; (b) made our highest score of the series batting first. And if they felt pressured because we scored a wobbly, uncertain 326 rather than a crushing 5d/500, that reflects poorly on them if they cannot do without such luxuries. In the other three tests, India batted first, therefore it was up to the bowlers to provide the pressure first up and they failed in the last two before our batsmen got the opportunity of doing so.

Burgey

Really looking forward to this starting so we can end the past few months worth of abject, simpering, faux friendliness between Australian and Indian supporters and restore the natural order of being ****s to one another.

Burgey

This idea that it was the Australian batsmen who let our bowlers down is just an excuse for the bowlers not based in what actually happened.

As I said before, the first time our bowlers appear planless and uninterested was at Perth, where we (a) won; (b) made our highest score of the series batting first. And if they felt pressured because we scored a wobbly, uncertain 326 rather than a crushing 5d/500, that reflects poorly on them if they cannot do without such luxuries. In the other three tests, India batted first, therefore it was up to the bowlers to provide the pressure first up and they failed in the last two before our batsmen got the opportunity of doing so.
This tends to ignore the fact the batsmen had the use of flat decks on days 2 and 3, and fell in a hole time and again, albeit against a good attack.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Rohit missing the test tour is a good thing. One of gill or shaw making runs opening vs Aus and securing themselves in the lineup over Rohit is huge. No offence but there's no point hauling around 34-year-old batsmen who are beyond **** when he's not in India when there are so many talented young players waiting for a chance.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
This tends to ignore the fact the batsmen had the use of flat decks on days 2 and 3, and fell in a hole time and again, albeit against a good attack.
This, our bowlers where never given more then 60 overs to rest between innings and where also making a decent chunk of our runs with the bat, the bowlers where pretty crap as well but think the batting is to blame for that.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This, our bowlers where never given more then 60 overs to rest between innings and where also making a decent chunk of our runs with the bat, the bowlers where pretty crap as well but think the batting is to blame for that.
He's saying the bowling failed at Sydney and Melbourne before the batting, so it's hard to blame the bowling failure on the batting failure.

A big issue with the flat deck on day two was that India was still batting on it. Two wickets and four wickets on day one was a disgraceful performance.