• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Wouldn't put Sheffield Utd in that same group to be honest. They haven't started well and don't have the quality of players on paper that others have but expect them to give it a real go, and personally think they'll stay up. Certainly not saying Villa are certainties or even one of my 3 picks to go down but I certainly wouldn't say its impossible for Sheffield Utd to finish above Villa. West Ham have started the season more positively then I expected too. West Ham and Newcastle both have 7pts after 5 games and expect they will be 2 of the more likely sides to go down - them making up a 5pt gap on Villa over 33 games certainly doesn't strike me as impossible.

Having Martinez in goal certainly improves on Villa's goalkeeping options (although effectively he's being judged on half a season of performances at Arsenal), Barkley has started well but this is the same Barkley everyone thought was rubbish a few months ago. Grealish is good and they certainly are a better side on paper than last year but suddenly lose a couple of games, see Grealish get a big injury and I think the good vibe around Villa and the idea they are already out of a relegation battle isn't around anymore.

I personally think Fulham and West Brom will go down and about 8 other sides have varying chances of going down in that 3rd spot. Aston Villa's good start certainly helps their chances of staying up, but Watford had 13 points in 5 games either side of Christmas and still went down, Bournemouth were in the top 10 for 11 of the first 12 gameweeks and went down and from what I recall weren't really considered as being a likely relegation candidate until around Christmas. I think its too early to say any of the worst 9 or 10 sides in the division are definitely not going down, a congested season too also increases the chances of injuries to key players.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As long as when/if Grealish gets injured we don't have the media reacting like it is the first time a player has ever been hurt in a match like they have with Van Dijk this week I don't care.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Wouldn't put Sheffield Utd in that same group to be honest.
I would. They were garbage in attack last season and they've lost last season's defensive solidity to boot. A team that doesn't score goals and struggles to keep clean sheets isn't going to do very well.

I mean, they've signed and picked Oliver Burke as a striker who would struggle to get a game for most Scottish Premiership sides.

Uppercut

Antonio has that rare ability to cause a lot of problems even when the service to him is really poor.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Antonio has that rare ability to cause a lot of problems even when the service to him is really poor.
As I've said before, if he hadn't had injury probs he would be playing for a top club, and perhaps an England regular, e's quite the unit too, upper body of a Rugby league player.

Uppercut

As I've said before, if he hadn't had injury probs he would be playing for a top club, and perhaps an England regular, e's quite the unit too, upper body of a Rugby league player.
Maybe, he’s only just found his best role after a career of playing everywhere.

Kind of an unfashionable type of player too. I think part of his value comes from letting West Ham stack the team with good defensive players while still having a functional attack. Mourinho would definitely have gone for him though.

Actually he still might. Loves getting old big guys in.

Niall

International Coach
Uppercut must be making fortunes from the bookies, still not sure they and the masses have realised West Ham have been really good since lockdown, narrative online after every good result from them is "LOL MOYES@!!".. :wallbash:

Spark

Global Moderator
That Gundogan-Rodri double pivot just looks really slow in general. Ponderous on the ball, unathletic off it.

Uppercut

That Gundogan-Rodri double pivot just looks really slow in general. Ponderous on the ball, unathletic off it.
I must have seen Rodri play 50+ times and all I could tell you about him is that he’s tall.

Hell of a lot of mediocre players starting regularly for City these days.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Obviously it's far too early to write off this season's signings but I'm not convinced any of the players who have been signed since their first title under Pep would get into the 2017/18 side.