• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

cpr

International Coach
This passed me by earlier, as I’ve never really been one for watching old football, but loving this already and not even through the opening ceremony yet. I bet Kasper Schmeichel has been cringing all afternoon.

only annoyance is I’m getting modern ads on ITV hub

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought he was correctly rated highly. He could congest the play a bit because he always cut inside, and at the time full-backs didn't always overlap. I'm told he was at his best when Liverpool played with wing-backs but that was before my time.

cpr

International Coach
I always remember him in the early days playing on the right for Liverpool, and being shunted out left for England - he was the first in the line of 'square peg in round hole' England deployed for about a decade

Uppercut

Tbf he was a logical enough LM choice of that era. In general people massively underestimate the difference between playing RW and LW, but McManaman at least had the right skillset. Most of the other options didn't play there at club level either and didn't even have the right skillset.

Uppercut

Yeah he's absolutely terrible. BT Sport's lineup is those two plus Savage. It's punishing.

So greasy too. He must surely be the least classy man ever to play for Real Madrid.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very well regarded in Madrid apparently, think that aspect of his career makes him a bit underrated.

But yeah BT is absolutely dismal. He was not actually a pundit that I took an instant dislike to, he just got there over time by being terrible.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha yeah apparently in Madrid he is widely regarded as a perfect gentleman. One of the reasons they liked him so much.

I think the worse thing re: his punditry is that he just will not shut up. He seems to be literally incapable of being quiet, ever. And thus just fills any silence with any old drivel that comes into his head.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tbf he was a logical enough LM choice of that era. In general people massively underestimate the difference between playing RW and LW, but McManaman at least had the right skillset. Most of the other options didn't play there at club level either and didn't even have the right skillset.
Yeah tactically McManaman was about 15 years ahead of his time. If you could go back 20 years he'd be the screamingly obvious choice to play on the left in a 4-3-3.

Uppercut

Haha yeah apparently in Madrid he is widely regarded as a perfect gentleman. One of the reasons they liked him so much.

I think the worse thing re: his punditry is that he just will not shut up. He seems to be literally incapable of being quiet, ever. And thus just fills any silence with any old drivel that comes into his head.
Haha the Wikipedia summary of his time in Madrid is surreal. It's like reading about a different, much better person.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha the Wikipedia summary of his time in Madrid is surreal. It's like reading about a different, much better person.
Haha yeah just had a look at it myself. Doesn't really mesh with my impression of him at all, so just concluded that I must be missing something .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Won me over by refusing to leave Madrid after just having won the CL when the Galacticos Project began.

flibbertyjibber

Came off probably his best club season, he was immense for us in 1995/96.

By January 1997 he was pretty much done as a footballer. Got an injury in some stupid 6 a side tournament we played in Amsterdam and never really recovered.
Na, the season he got injured in the cup final he was just amazing. Best season I have seen from an England player. Got Spurs to cup final virtually single handed he was so good.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
It's such a mediocre Spain lineup. Not sure how they got the underachievers tag around then because it looks to me like they just had average players.
I think the underachiever tag came later, around 2000, 2002 when Spanish club football was dominant but the NT was still trash who lost to Norway. Although you've just heard the 96 commentators so they might contradict me.