• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Euro 2008 is probably the most underrated out of all the recent international tournaments. Netherlands vs. Russia is one of my favorite international matches ever.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Euro 2008 is probably the most underrated out of all the recent international tournaments. Netherlands vs. Russia is one of my favorite international matches ever.
Germany vs Portugal in the Quarters is my favourite of that tournament. Watched it sat on the floor of the fanzone in Vienna with a £20 bet on Germany to qualify. All my mates teasing me as Germany contrived to let Portugal get really really close to pulling back a 3-1 deficit but just about hanging on.

Matteh

ITV are showing the whole of Euro '96. First game is England vs. Switzerland on ITV4 tonight at 6.15. Very much up for this ****.
Just remembered how this one played out.

Top tip, get yourself a lot of beer in and drink every time the commentators say England, that'll sort it.

Uppercut

Just remembered how this one played out.

Top tip, get yourself a lot of beer in and drink every time the commentators say England, that'll sort it.
Lol, you're telling me. Nothing like a major tournament to remind me why I'm always so desperate for England to lose.

Matteh

It's the worst game they played in that tournament. The Scotland game...will be worth watching it just waiting for that flick over Colin Hendry's head from a very flawed football genius.

Uppercut

So Gascoigne looks pretty special. One of the things that stood out from the 2000 rewatch was how England lacked anyone doing what Rui Costa was doing for Portugal, and here they do.

Last edited:

Pothas

I think they may have mentioned once or twice that Shearer had not scored for England since 1994.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Euro 96 seemed awesome at the time because it was so close to home and there was such a buzz around the tournament (Three Lions is the ATG football song, it is ****ing brilliant) but actually the tournament, particularly the knockouts, were ****ing dog****.

Matteh

Euro 96 seemed awesome at the time because it was so close to home and there was such a buzz around the tournament (Three Lions is the ATG football song, it is ****ing brilliant) but actually the tournament, particularly the knockouts, were ****ing dog****.
The golden goal rule in particularly backfired, made everyone too scared to attack and so it was penalty shootout after shootout.

Matteh

Did anyone else just hear Sweet Chariot sung at a football match? I know it comes from Rugby League originally and obviously Rugby Union took it over but wasn't aware it was sung at England football games too.

Uppercut

I know I rant about this a lot but it's really striking how much shorter the breaks in play were in 1996. The ref awards a penalty and there's barely even time for a replay before it's taken.

Pothas

Standard England opening game at a major tournament. Started really brightly and got steadily worse.

Best bit by far was Keegan moaning about the electronic subs board. 'These computers'.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The golden goal rule in particularly backfired, made everyone too scared to attack and so it was penalty shootout after shootout.
Yeah the England v Germany semi final was the only game where the extra time wasn't a total snooze fest.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So Gascoigne looks pretty special. One of the things that stood out from the 2000 rewatch was how England lacked anyone doing what Rui Costa was doing for Portugal, and here they do.
Came off probably his best club season, he was immense for us in 1995/96.

By January 1997 he was pretty much done as a footballer. Got an injury in some stupid 6 a side tournament we played in Amsterdam and never really recovered.