• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Selector: Dream ODI XI

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
haha. the shoot might become a distraction from CW if I get into an argument with ikki on ponting vs sachin or oreilly vs warne. :)
haha.. I can picture your interviews now.

Q: The climax really came out well?

A: Yeah, I had this argument on the internet about O'Reilly and Warne with an Aussie poster and it really drove me to write those great lines between the hero and the villain..

:p

bagapath

International Captain
thank mate. that is very kind of you.

As per current standings in the last poll, this is the team CW has selected to represent them in ODIs

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist (wk)
Viv Richards
Ricky Ponting
Michael Bevan
Andrew Symonds
Lance Klusener
Wasim Akram
Muralitharan
Joel Garner
Glen McGrath

12th man: Shaun Pollock
If the last few votes go Pollock's way please someone change the team accordingly. See you all after my shoot schedule in a few months.

Remember:
Kallis is boring.
Lara > Sachin > Ponting

:)

Cheers
Now... 8 years later...

We can safely assume that ABDV, Virat and Dhoni would easily replace any three of Ponting, Symonds, Bevan and Klusener.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
For the time, Symonds was an interesting selection. I would have taken Dean Jones or Zaheer Abbas in his place.

Those 4 bowlers have remained a constant for all ODI XI exercises as well as have ranked as top 4 ODI bowlers in all CW player ranking exercises. Deservedly so.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think the tail is far too long, which is a good reason to pick Warne ahead of Murali. I'd also drop either Klusener (Asia) or Symonds (SENA) for ABDV and Ponting for Kohli.

With Bevan and Kohli, Dhoni is unnecessary. And you never need 5 full time bowlers.

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Kohli
De Villiers
Bevan
Symonds/Klusener
Akram
Warne
Garner
McGrath

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Oh come on. Not this again. Warne made a grand total of 1 half century and averaged 13. Pick Pollock (1 hundred, 14 fifties, average of 26) ahead of McGrath if you want batting depth.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Richards
Kohli
De Villiers
Butler+
Russel
Flintoff
Pollock
Hadlee
Murali

#miyagi #john ;)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tendulkar
Gilchrist +
Richards
Kohli
DeVilliers
Symonds
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Vs.

Jayasuriya
M.Waugh
Sangakkara
Lara
Jones
Dhoni +
Klusener
Pollock
Warne
Ambrose
Donald

stephen

Oh come on. Not this again. Warne made a grand total of 1 half century and averaged 13. Pick Pollock (1 hundred, 14 fifties, average of 26) ahead of McGrath if you want batting depth.
McGrath was a class above Pollock as an ODI bowler but I could see an argument to pick him as the all rounder batting #7.

Realistically the two best ODI quicks are McGrath and Gartner by a country mile. The third best is Akram.

Murali and Warne in ODI cricket aren't far apart - Warne having a shorter career but standing up more at key times, while Murali was consistently excellent. So I'd take Warne for his batting given I already have two bunnies in McGrath and Garner.

Averaging 13 isn't terrible for a number 9 who played the majority of their ODI cricket in the 90s.

An ODI team is not simply a matter of "pick the best 4 bowlers, 6 batsmen and wicketkeeper" like test cricket is. There are a lot more team balance considerations.

Now if you said "who are the best 11 ODI cricketers" you'd get a different answer again. Saqlain surely has to enter into the equation.

In fact, here are my top ODI batsmen, quicks, keepers and spinners:

Richards
Bevan
Tendulkar
Kohli
Ponting
Lara

Garner
McGrath
Akram
Ambrose
Donald

Gilchrist
Dhoni
??? I really don't know who to rate next, there were many fine keepers but freq who stood out

Warne
Murali
Saqlain
Kumble
Hogg
Peter Taylor*

*honorable mention

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saqlain was a top-tier ODI spinner. Better than Warne in ODIs. Look at that strike rate.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath was a class above Pollock as an ODI bowler but I could see an argument to pick him as the all rounder batting #7.

Realistically the two best ODI quicks are McGrath and Gartner by a country mile. The third best is Akram.

Murali and Warne in ODI cricket aren't far apart - Warne having a shorter career but standing up more at key times, while Murali was consistently excellent. So I'd take Warne for his batting given I already have two bunnies in McGrath and Garner.

Averaging 13 isn't terrible for a number 9 who played the majority of their ODI cricket in the 90s.
Interesting you say Murali and Warne are not far apart as ODI bowlers. As most ranking exercises on CW will show you, Murali is treated as clearly the better bowler/cricketer than Warne. Pick up any exercise on this forum. And there are good reasons for that. Murali had an ER that is 0.3 rpo below Warne's which is significant and then add the fact that Murali played his last ODI in 2011 while Warne retired somewhere in 2003 (came back for one exhibition kind of ODI in 2005). Murali took 10 fivers compared to Warne's just 1. And their records against India, the best players of spin, are even more stark in ODI then in tests. See below the stark difference between average, ER, SR, BBI and even number of maidens:

SpanMatOversMdnsWktsBBIAveEconSR45
M Muralitharanv India1993-201163549.328747/3031.784.2844.501
Shane Warnev India1994-200118162.22153/3856.265.1964.900

On Pollock vs. McGrath, I always rate McGrath the superior bowler. But the to say McGrath is a class above Pollock is laughable. At an ER of 3.67 while playing until 2008, Pollock must be rated as one of the most miserly bowlers in ODI. For comparison, someone like Lillee who played ODI only until 1983 had only slightly better ER at 3.58. He also picked wickets in heap often (had 5 fivers compared to McGrath's 7) but McGrath was clearly more prolific. So effectively Pollock relatively more economic, McGrath more prolific wicket taker. In sum, McGrath slightly better for mine but not by much.

PS. Issue is not that you consider Murali and Warne more or less at par. Issue is you do that while arguing McGrath was a class above Pollock.

Last edited:

stephen

Interesting you say Murali and Warne are not far apart as ODI bowlers. As most ranking exercises on CW will show you, Murali is treated as clearly the better bowler/cricketer than Warne. Pick up any exercise on this forum. And there are good reasons for that. Murali had an ER that is 0.3 rpo below Warne's which is significant and then add the fact that Murali played his last ODI in 2011 while Warne retired somewhere in 2003 (came back for one exhibition kind of ODI in 2005). Murali took 10 fivers compared to Warne's just 1. And their records against India, the best players of spin, are even more stark in ODI then in tests. See below the stark difference between average, ER, SR, BBI and even number of maidens:

SpanMatOversMdnsWktsBBIAveEconSR45
M Muralitharanv India1993-201163549.328747/3031.784.2844.501
Shane Warnev India1994-200118162.22153/3856.265.1964.900

On Pollock vs. McGrath, I always rate McGrath the superior bowler. But the to say McGrath is a class above Pollock is laughable. At an ER of 3.67 while playing until 2008, Pollock must be rated as one of the most miserly bowlers in ODI. For comparison, someone like Lillee who played ODI only until 1983 had only slightly better ER at 3.58. He also picked wickets in heap often (had 5 fivers compared to McGrath's 7) but McGrath was clearly more prolific. So effectively Pollock relatively more economic, McGrath more prolific wicket taker. In sum, McGrath slightly better for mine but not by much.

PS. Issue is not that you consider Murali and Warne more or less at par. Issue is you do that while arguing McGrath was a class above Pollock.
I tend to rate performance in crucial matches more highly in ODI cricket. Which is the only reason I don't rate Saqlain as the best ODI spinner. Crucially, Warne's performance in the 1999 world cup is the key difference between him and Murali's overall slightly better record.

I rate Pollock a tier below McGrath as an ODI bowler for similar reasons. He got taken apart by Hayden in the 2007 world cup when rated as the number 1 bowler in the world. This really set the tone for the tournament. McGrath got better in world cups.

Now it's not all about world cups. Warne was actually dramatically out of form in 1999. It was the 5 year period between 1993 and 1998 where he was utterly unplayable with his flipper. Crucially during this time he took 9/12 off his 4 wicket hauls and his only 5 wicket haul and averaged 23. He played under half hiss matches during this time 86/194 but took nearly half his wickets 141/293.

But much of this is an "eye" test and is a bit like how many people rate Akram really highly. Murali gets points for longevity and consistency but Warne gets points for his peak and his big game abilities.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Gilchrist
Sachin
Lara
Inzamam
Viv Richards
V Kohli
Shakib Al Hasan
Wasim Akram
Shane Bond
Waqar Younis