• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who 'over-performed' internationally

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ravindra Jadeja really has surpassed all expectations. From being butt of many a jokes to #1 test bowler is some overachivement.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ravindra Jadeja really has surpassed all expectations. From being butt of many a jokes to #1 test bowler is some overachivement.
He has over-performed for sure, but he's not 'really' the world's number 1 bowler in any true cricket fans head. Just a function of a lot of strong home performances in a row. Remembering he's only any good at home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dude, that is a pointless thing to bring up. He is #1 in the ratings. What had to happen for him to achieve that is immaterial. He is there and that is much higher than anyone thought his ceiling was. And for all we know, this may not yet be his ceiling either. I dont understand the relevance of your post considering Jadeja is a perfect example of the trope the thread is looking for.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
AFAIA Astle started out as a bowler for Canterbury, but by the time he debuted for New Zealand he'd made the switch to batsman who bowled a bit.
First ODI series he batted 6, 6 and 7 ... was definitely in more as a bowler, from my recollection.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
From the moment Derek Pringle scored his first run and took his first wicket he'd already over performed based on ability.

Shri

Mr. Glass
He has over-performed for sure, but he's not 'really' the world's number 1 bowler in any true cricket fans head. Just a function of a lot of strong home performances in a row. Remembering he's only any good at home.
Oh you.

Top_Cat

Voges. Transplant him to another era and he wouldn't have played any Tests.

Some eras, wouldn't even have been a regular for WA....

Shady Slim

International Coach
Voges. Transplant him to another era and he wouldn't have played any Tests.

Some eras, wouldn't even have been a regular for WA....
transplant him to a certain other era of australian cricket we don't talk about and he plays a hundred and captains too in fairness

Zinzan

Dude, that is a pointless thing to bring up. He is #1 in the ratings. What had to happen for him to achieve that is immaterial. He is there and that is much higher than anyone thought his ceiling was. And for all we know, this may not yet be his ceiling either. I dont understand the relevance of your post considering Jadeja is a perfect example of the trope the thread is looking for.
Only it's not pointless. The reason I gave for him being number 1 currently is 100% correct & it's true no knowledgeable honest cricket fan thinks he's anywhere near the number 1 Test bowler in any meaningful respect, so why so typically defensive?

I agreed with the main point that he's a good example for the thread, but when a guy averages 19 at home and 41 away, it doesn't sit all that well to be told with a straight face he's the world number 1 bowler, and perfectly worthwhile to point out in the context.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Only it's not pointless. The reason I gave for him being number 1 currently is 100% correct & it's true no knowledgeable honest cricket fan thinks he's anywhere near the number 1 Test bowler in any meaningful respect, so why so typically defensive?
see i don't think this is true. bloke deserves to be at the top, if what he did was easy we'd see everyone else doing it

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree. Also the ICC rankings is a fluid process and is purely stats-driven.Jadeja has put out better performances than his contemporaries over the last couple of series (England and Australia) and is justifiably rewarded. The rankings in my opinion should be used as a guide - and not definite. I feel that by the end of this calendar year we will all have a clearer picture of who is actually number 1 due to the matches being scheduled (Eng/SA, Ashes, Ind/SA, SA/Aus) and certain intangibles will likely be clarified (Will Steyn stay injury-free, Can Philander still be as potent, How will Indian spinners do overseas and can the Aussie quicks gel collectively asa unit and grow individually?) I suspect we will see some of these answered in the coming months.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

I agreed with the main point that he's a good example for the thread, but when a guy averages 19 at home and 41 away, it doesn't sit all that well to be told with a straight face he's the world number 1 bowler, and perfectly worthwhile to point out in the context.
It's also correct that he's the number 1 bowler by the rankings, and that's a part of his overachievement that's relevant to the thread. Or you can just hijack it.