• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who 'over-performed' internationally

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
ross taylor

averaged mid 30s in nz FC when picked and was known as a bit of a slogger, i don't think any of the kiwi bloc picked him to average mid-late 40s and be in genuine contention as best ever nz batsman

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Richardson. Left arm spinner & tail-end bat turned Test opener averaging in the mid-40s.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He came in as a replacement for Sidhu I believe.
He came in as a replacement for Sidhu in the playing XI (and also because Manjrekar was injured). But before that he was selected in the team of 16 - and that had nothing to do with Sidhu or Manjrekar. It was a very controversial selection. The Eastern India selector Sambaran Banerjee convinced the other selectors that Ganguly's bowling maybe useful in the English condition and he should be selected as an all-rounder. Harsha Bhogle said from the commentary box that Ganguly's selection was from Eastern India quota in a way.

Flem274*

123/5
steve smith and warner had very innocuous beginnings thanks to being pigeon holed as spin bowlers who bat/T20 biffers
voges
moeen ali
BJ watling
ross taylor

averaged mid 30s in nz FC when picked and was known as a bit of a slogger, i don't think any of the kiwi bloc picked him to average mid-late 40s and be in genuine contention as best ever nz batsman
nah he and jesse were the chosen ones before kane

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can't survive long term on an Internet forum without a sh*t sheet on regular posters.

Athlai

Not Terrible
ross taylor

Pretty sure he was seen as the next great NZ batsman in 2007 by quite a few people. Though you're probably right in thinking they didn't imagine he'd end up with a record as good as he has now. I do remember the thinking was he'd be the one to take over the batting from Fleming though.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
steve smith and warner had very innocuous beginnings thanks to being pigeon holed as spin bowlers who bat/T20 biffers
voges
moeen ali
BJ watling

wait i didnt think warner was ever pushed as anything other than a part time leggie

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Pretty sure he was seen as the next great NZ batsman in 2007 by quite a few people. Though you're probably right in thinking they didn't imagine he'd end up with a record as good as he has now. I do remember the thinking was he'd be the one to take over the batting from Fleming though.
yeah but at that time "great nz batsman" meant averaging early 40s at best

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
voges
moeen ali
BJ watling

yeah but there's NZ good and would actually make most other international teams good which was very rare back when he was getting started

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yeah but at that time "great nz batsman" meant averaging early 40s at best
Yeah, I think most of us thought Taylor would finish with a low 40's average, so he's exceeded expectations even if it was always known he was going to be one of our top batsmen. The only player for whom we entertained serious hopes of a high-40's average prior to KW was Ryder.

In fact, I just dug up these quotes from 2009:

I reckon Ryder will finish averaging about 46/47 and Taylor will got about 40/41.
Exactly what I'd predict.
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...verages-what-will-they-end-5.html#post1869430

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Nathan Astle. Selected as a bowling all rounder, got chucked up to open once and ended up with 16 ODI hundreds (still in the top 20 of all time), 11 test tonnes and the fastest double century of all time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nathan Astle. Selected as a bowling all rounder, got chucked up to open once and ended up with 16 ODI hundreds (still in the top 20 of all time), 11 test tonnes and the fastest double century of all time.
AFAIA Astle started out as a bowler for Canterbury, but by the time he debuted for New Zealand he'd made the switch to batsman who bowled a bit.