• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradmanesque

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The troll army can continue targeting us,

I will just attempt one last time to explain what I was trying to say.

In any sport which hasn't fully evolved, you will find players who are freaks, players who are way ahead of their time. Bradman is one of them. Once the sport is fully evolved, you will not find such instances.

I will paste Ruckus' post in one of the similar threads since I think he explained it better.
That's like saying it was easier for Euclid to be a great mathematician than Euler or Fermat, and in turn easier for them than it was for Ramanujan etc. Not sure I buy that either.

Kirkut

International Regular
That's like saying it was easier for Euclid to be a great mathematician than Euler or Fermat, and in turn easier for them than it was for Ramanujan etc. Not sure I buy that either.
I believe that the point he's trying to make is that one cannot say with conviction that things were easier or difficult in the past as compared to the present.

Bijed

International Regular
The troll army can continue targeting us,

I will just attempt one last time to explain what I was trying to say.

In any sport which hasn't fully evolved, you will find players who are freaks, players who are way ahead of their time. Bradman is one of them. Once the sport is fully evolved, you will not find such instances.

I will paste Ruckus' post in one of the similar threads since I think he explained it better.
I somewhat agree with what you're saying here, but I've always had the impression (and I don't think I'm alone here) that Bradman's level of dominance is moreso that seen with people dominating in other sports, so it could well be a bit of what you're saying and also because he was really, really good.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
How the hell can anyone confidently say the game has "fully" evolved as of today? That is where that argument gets stupid.

Bijed

International Regular
In all probability it hasn't (I suppose technically it never can have, but it might stay exactly the same from this point onwards), but I still agree with the gist of karan's post - actually, I should have multi-quoted the post karan himself quoted as it was indeed a better explanation.

OverratedSanity

And frankly there haven't been any "freaks" in other sports who've statistically dominated their peers to anywhere near the extent that Bradman did. Surely of that argument had any real weight, you'd have many examples from other sports where one guy was statistically twice as good as anyone else at the highest level.

Bijed

International Regular
And frankly there haven't been any "freaks" in other sports who've statistically dominated their peers to anywhere near the extent that Bradman did. Surely of that argument had any real weight, you'd have many examples from other sports where one guy was statistically twice as good as anyone else at the highest level.
I have a feeling there was a thread about this a little while back. I'll try and dig it up and see what equivalents (though I agree that no-one has matched Bradman in this regard) from other sports people suggested, assuming that the thread isn't in fact a figment of my imagination.

Gob

International Coach
LOL, the number of "X vs Y" threads you guys create clearly show your level of intelligence.

Secondly, you guys are not open to people who have a different view or disagree with you. The troll army is ready to take down anyone who doesn't disagree with a few members here.
There is nothing wrong with having a different view as long as there are actual facts to back them. Unfortunately most people here who hold such views have none.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I believe that the point he's trying to make is that one cannot say with conviction that things were easier or difficult in the past as compared to the present.
Likewise, you can not say, with conviction, that Smith will score 60 today because the past is different from the present. It might be likely, it might even be a good bet, but you can be a dick and say that you can infer nothing from different days and technically, in a very very strict manner, you'd be right, but also a dick.

We all get what you are saying, but you fail to appreciate why many are calling it bull****.

Meridio

International Regular
I have a feeling there was a thread about this a little while back. I'll try and dig it up and see what equivalents (though I agree that no-one has matched Bradman in this regard) from other sports people suggested, assuming that the thread isn't in fact a figment of my imagination.
Jahangir Khan in squash maybe. Went something like 550 matches unbeaten over about 10 years.

Bijed

International Regular
Jahangir Khan in squash maybe. Went something like 550 matches unbeaten over about 10 years.
Ooh, that's impressive.

Actually, I wonder if there have been more Bradman-types than we expect, only they've been in relatively obscure sports so not many people are aware (not meaning to imply squash is an obscure sport btw)

OverratedSanity

Ooh, that's impressive.

Actually, I wonder if there have been more Bradman-types than we expect, only they've been in relatively obscure sports so not many people are aware (not meaning to imply squash is an obscure sport btw)
Jahangir Khan and Heather Mackay both went undefeated for like 15 years. It only reinforces my point though. Squash was not in its infancy when they dominated the sport. So implying that it's only possible for someone to dominate when the sport hasn't "evolved fully" clearly isn't true.

Besides, cricket wasn't in it's nascent stage when Bradman dominated it either.

indiaholic

International Captain
Is Jahangir the undisputed ATG in squash? A friend told me that Jansher was better. Don't know enough about the sport to comment.

Bijed

International Regular
Jahangir Khan and Heather Mackay both went undefeated for like 15 years. It only reinforces my point though. Squash was not in its infancy when they dominated the sport. So implying that it's only possible for someone to dominate when the sport hasn't "evolved fully" clearly isn't true.

Besides, cricket wasn't in it's nascent stage when Bradman dominated it either.
Maybe the nascent stage isn't the one, but it'd be interesting to look at when various sports' undisputed GOATs (suppose they don't have to be undisputed, really, just generally accepted as such) appeared and see how long into that sport being widely played (nebulous definition, I know) it took for them to appear and see if there's a trend.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
They know it, but they will take it in some other direction. Because they are insecure about Bradman not being rated as the best.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I gave an example of Rocky Marciano, there are many others, but I wouldn't waste my time in listing them, coz u r nt gng to agree anyways. You will come up with some or the other anecdotes rather than pure facts to back up ur claim.