• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradmanesque

JBMAC

State Captain
Over the years I have been asked many questions about Don Bradmans batting as compared to cricketers who have come after him and how would he adapt to the shorter form of the game. For those who witnessed Warner's innings today.......That's How.

I have followed Warner since he exploded onto the scene in his pyjama game(20/20) and he bashed everything in sight. He pulled off impossible shots, scoring runs at a phenominal rate.

I said then ,on this forum, he is the only player I have seen who came close to Bradman. I still stand by that statement . As he has matured and applied his craft he has become even better in some respects. Bradman's favourite shot, played a lot of times, was to take a rising ball on the off and despatch it to square leg for the boundary. Warner does a similar type of shot . Probably the only difference is Warner moves his feet more

Whether or not he reaches the 99.94 remains to be seen, I for one will be surprised, but those fortunate to have see Don Bradman play, as I have, can be assured he is re-incarnate in David Warner.

FOOTNOTE: The young fast bowler on debut for NZ, Ferguson, is as consistently as fast as Jeff Thompson who I rate the fastest of all time.(Yes even quicker than Marshall)

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Na, Warner is a home track bully. No test hundreds anywhere other than at home and in South Africa. Has as many wickets abroad as test tons.Great player in home conditions though.

Zinzan

Nah, Bradman wouldn't have nearly need the luck Warner does to get to 3 figures from everything I've read of him.

I could easily see Warner going through a bad run of scores in ODIs due to the way he plays. There's a reason he averages 43 and not 53, even after these back to back hundreds & that's because he generally gives you a number of chances along the way where he miscues, or almost plays onto his stumps..

Everything I've read of Bradman is that he hardly gave you chance, and often pulled along the ground. Huge difference in so many respects.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man... this has to be the biggest insult to Bradman ever done at CW.. :p No offence JB, but Warner is nowhere near The Don.

TheJediBrah

I can't get over that OP watched Bradaman live

Some serious respect deserved IMO, this guy has been around for a while

cnerd123

likes this
I can't get over that OP watched Bradaman live

Some serious respect deserved IMO, this guy has been around for a while
Gotta love the internet. A man who watched Bradman batting live is getting attacked for his analysis on him by people who probably haven't even watched the handful of clips available on him

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
who is attacking him? We are saying his analysis of Warner is not correct. Who is even saying anything about Bradman or the fact that JBMac watched him bat?

Btw, Bradman himself said Sachin reminded him of his batting. It is possible to bat in a manner similar to a great player but not have the same results as well. We are seeing Darren Bravo, aren't we? I was taking offence to calling him the Bradman reincarnate, that is all.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
It is possible to bat in a manner similar to a great player but not have the same results as well. We are seeing Darren Bravo, aren't we? I was taking offence to calling him the Bradman reincarnate, that is all.
I havent watched enough of Bradman and Warner both batting to judge the comparison, but I do believe thats JBMACs point. A stylistic comparison, not one of effectiveness.

TheJediBrah

Gotta love the internet. A man who watched Bradman batting live is getting attacked for his analysis on him by people who probably haven't even watched the handful of clips available on him
Yeah. While I'm not sure he's being "attacked", there's definitely been a bit of a lack of respect ITT IMO

He's not even saying that he thinks Warner is as good as Bradman was, just that he's similar in style, which is a fascinating insight from someone with probably more cricketing experience than any 3 other posters on the forum. I'm glad this thread was made.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah. While I'm not sure he's being "attacked", there's definitely been a bit of a lack of respect ITT IMO

He's not even saying that he thinks Warner is as good as Bradman was, just that he's similar in style, which is a fascinating insight from someone with probably more cricketing experience than any 3 other posters on the forum. I'm glad this thread was made.
Interesting interpretation of this post here. I just wish you can learn to read what people are posting and not what you like to think they were posting.

Over the years I have been asked many questions about Don Bradmans batting as compared to cricketers who have come after him and how would he adapt to the shorter form of the game. For those who witnessed Warner's innings today.......That's How.

I have followed Warner since he exploded onto the scene in his pyjama game(20/20) and he bashed everything in sight. He pulled off impossible shots, scoring runs at a phenominal rate.

I said then ,on this forum, he is the only player I have seen who came close to Bradman. I still stand by that statement . As he has matured and applied his craft he has become even better in some respects. Bradman's favourite shot, played a lot of times, was to take a rising ball on the off and despatch it to square leg for the boundary. Warner does a similar type of shot . Probably the only difference is Warner moves his feet more

Whether or not he reaches the 99.94 remains to be seen, I for one will be surprised, but those fortunate to have see Don Bradman play, as I have, can be assured he is re-incarnate in David Warner.

FOOTNOTE: The young fast bowler on debut for NZ, Ferguson, is as consistently as fast as Jeff Thompson who I rate the fastest of all time.(Yes even quicker than Marshall)

Kirkut

International Regular
I remember an article written by Ian Chappell right after the day Sehwag scored 293 where he compared Sehwag's batting style with Bradman. According to him Bradman was a pure instinct player, see the ball hit the ball type.

TheJediBrah

Interesting interpretation of this post here. I just wish you can learn to read what people are posting and not what you like to think they were posting.
I think you must be reading something different from me mate

I remember an article written by Ian Chappell right after the day Sehwag scored 293 where he compared Sehwag's batting style with Bradman. According to him Bradman was a pure instinct player, see the ball hit the ball type.
I hope you're not comparing OP's cricket analysis with Ian Chappell's

JB has done nothing to deserve that kind of insult

Daemon

Are you comparing Bradman and Warner's style? I can sort of see it in the limited footage there is of him tbf, even though most of it is just pull shots.

TheJediBrah

Are you comparing Bradman and Warner's style? I can sort of see it in the limited footage there is of him tbf, even though most of it is just pull shots.
While personally I can't see any similarity at all

it's a sentiment that deserves better than dismissal out of hand

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah I can't see the similarity either.. But JBMAC has actually seen him play, so I will believe him if he thinks they are stylistically similar...