• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Ashwin beat Murali's 800?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Good spinners can play until their late 30s. I see a brief captaincy stint in his future before he retires.

viriya

International Captain
Good spinners can play until their late 30s. I see a brief captaincy stint in his future before he retires.
Yes, I wanted to be a bit conservative but 600 seems very likely atm. I don't think captaincy is a good idea - rather have him focusing on his bowling and improving his batting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you really reckon Ashwin will
Average six wpm home and away over that length of time?

Bahseph

State Captain
I'm really looking forward to see how Ashwin goes in conditions that aren't favourable for spinners after his excellent last few series.

To everyone saying that Ashwin is well below being an ATG spinner, what do you think he is missing technically that could hold him back from achieving that status?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Drift and bounce, mostly. His bowling action doesn't feature much in the way of a pivot over the front leg, he somewhat lazily rolls through pretty front on. That's no critique on him - it suits his MO of flicking the ball out of his fingers and using the carrom ball - but it really limits his ability to get overspin (hence drift and bounce). Not something you need in the SC, but a very handy tool outside of it.

Ashwin's kinda the reverse Lyon technique-wise.

Zinzan

Is the OP serious? How the heck does Ashwin get 580 wickets after the age of 30 when he takes 70% of his wickets at home and unlike Murali isn't likely to perform in England, SA & NZ?

I think people forget Murali averaged 19 in both England and NZ & 26 in SA...and only failed in Australia.

I'll be surprised if Ashwin gets past Kumble tbh.

viriya

International Captain
Do you really reckon Ashwin will
Average six wpm home and away over that length of time?
Right now he averages 7wpm at home and 4wpm away. 6wpm for the next 5 years is not a stretch. Murali (I realize he is an exception but still) managed that over a whole career and Ashwin is matching his wpm rate at least at home.

viriya

International Captain
Is the OP serious? How the heck does Ashwin get 580 wickets after the age of 30 when he takes 70% of his wickets at home and unlike Murali isn't likely to perform in England, SA & NZ?

I think people forget Murali averaged 19 in both England and NZ & 26 in SA...and only failed in Australia.

I'll be surprised if Ashwin gets past Kumble tbh.
He doesn't have to perform at Murali level in Eng, SA, NZ to pass Kumble since he averages 7 wpm at home. He also does a decent 4 wpm away so 6 wpm for the next 5 years is plausible.

The headline of this thread wasn't entirely serious, but Ashwin getting 600+ wickets is very possible atm.

cnerd123

likes this
Drift and bounce, mostly. His bowling action doesn't feature much in the way of a pivot over the front leg, he somewhat lazily rolls through pretty front on. That's no critique on him - it suits his MO of flicking the ball out of his fingers and using the carrom ball - but it really limits his ability to get overspin (hence drift and bounce). Not something you need in the SC, but a very handy tool outside of it.

Ashwin's kinda the reverse Lyon technique-wise.
While I like the breakdown of Ashwin's action, he does actually get quite a bit of drift. He is able to alter his wrist position to over-spin the ball, rather than side spin, whilst keeping his action basically the same.

He may not be optimizing how much drift and bounce he can get, but can definitely bowl in that style. It's why I think he'll do much better in future overseas tours.

Motorwada

Banned
He already does. And he is a better bowler than he used to be. I'd be surprised if he can't manage 4wpm outside the subcontinent for the next ~5 years.
Missed out on a lot of turning tracks in our overseas leg. Durban (where Jadeja took a 5 fer) and Adelaide.

listento_me

U19 Captain
If he India start playing more away matches and Ashwin improves there...I can see him getting 300 odd. Although, being realistic, 2/3 of those will probably come in India, Bang or SL.

viriya

International Captain
If he India start playing more away matches and Ashwin improves there...I can see him getting 300 odd. Although, being realistic, 2/3 of those will probably come in India, Bang or SL.
He already has 220.. 300-odd is happening within the next couple years..

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He already has 220.. 300-odd is happening within the next couple years..
300 is happening by the end of the Australia series next year.

He has 10 test matches coming up, 5 of them against two of the weakest batting line ups in these conditions. I can see him getting 50+ in those games, which leaves him to take 30 wickets in 5 matches against England. I can see him averaging 6 per match. That shouldn't be difficult.

flibbertyjibber

People are of course forgetting that he has to stay fit all the time and not lose his form which happens for any player few times in their career. He has had a ridiculous run of late and he must be praying the next game was next week the form he is in but that can all change.

Daemon

Yep, just need a bad year or an injury to set you back big time on that 600 wickets target.